Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 03:35 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far we are batting 1000. Right front wheel off you can see the failed grease now and dots on inside of wheel where it was starting to leak. Right front wheel hub replaced.

Like I said, appreciate the help in diagnosis. It is a completely different sound (and very vague while driving), and no feel, vs when the bearings "really" start to go.

Hooked up voltmeter to newly charged battery while running. Can watch volts drop, esp after turning on lights. Next up - new alternator.

If my pit crew doesn't need assistance I'll see about configuring the analogs this afternoon.

Looks like I got some race car parts for Valentine's Day...and I guess new wheel hub and alternator.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:10 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by sierralima
So far we are batting 1000. Right front wheel off you can see the failed grease now and dots on inside of wheel where it was starting to leak. Right front wheel hub replaced.

Like I said, appreciate the help in diagnosis. It is a completely different sound (and very vague while driving), and no feel, vs when the bearings "really" start to go.

Hooked up voltmeter to newly charged battery while running. Can watch volts drop, esp after turning on lights. Next up - new alternator.

If my pit crew doesn't need assistance I'll see about configuring the analogs this afternoon.

Looks like I got some race car parts for Valentine's Day...and I guess new wheel hub and alternator.
Just between you and me, I'm a better mechanic than driver. I've got my tools together for the M3: hub adapter, slide hammer, and bearing press. Sidetracked today fixing pool/hottub, as the hottub will be required after beating the M3 wheel bearing into submission. Should be able to start tomorrow morning.

It's good to hear you confirmed the cause of the noise.

One thing you can do with the analogs, is just enable them on the TM and then observe them on your display. Press and release the gas with the key on (not running) and see if any of them react. Press the brake and see if you see anything. It also may be easy enough to follow the wire.

Chick happy with car parts for Valentine's Day? Surlynkid, that's what we call a keeper.

-Mike
Old 02-13-2016, 08:36 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

She got 3 sets of front pads, 2 sets of rear pads, another spare set of rotors, spare coil pack, 2 spare axle shafts and both rear knuckles as complete drop in spares. What else could anyone want.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Such a hopeless romantic
Old 02-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
She got 3 sets of front pads, 2 sets of rear pads, another spare set of rotors, spare coil pack, 2 spare axle shafts and both rear knuckles as complete drop in spares. What else could anyone want.
What, no new alternator?
Old 02-13-2016, 10:23 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Texas RS
What, no new alternator?
They just had to hook the wire up .

Makes me a bit embarrassed that we didn't even try to look at it. OTOH, I've never had an alternator feed wire just fall off. Must be a Miata thing.

-Mike
Old 02-13-2016, 10:24 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Oops... Well at least it was an easy fix.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:31 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by Texas RS
Oops... Well at least it was an easy fix.
First rule of electrical troubleshooting: "Is it plugged in?".

F-

-Mike
Old 02-14-2016, 10:11 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hot wire connection at alternator had broken due to fatigue and age. Removed broken piece, crimped on new one to wire and hooked it back up. Hard to notice as the wire was still sitting where it belonged. Once I disconnected the harness for the swap, the wire flopped out of the way. Easy fix.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:53 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Whelp, more than the bearing. Got about 1/16" of up and down slop on the right rear wheel. Looks to be the inner lower control arm bushing.

SL, If you liked my suspension, imagine how much you will like it when it's not broken.

-Mike
Old 02-24-2016, 09:24 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Two laps from Chin Sebring inc PB – seeking input & advice

While the 48 Hours of Sebring is still relatively fresh in many of your minds, I thought I’d post these two laps from a Chin event I did in January in my 09 Carrera S and seek input and critical comments. Please don’t be shy.

The second lap (shown as lap 4 on the vid) is my PB there by a little over a second. The first (lap 3 on the video) might have been equally as quick or quicker but the Corvette behind me didn’t take my point-by into one so I gave another into 3 which he took. Data shows I lost time in those two corners but the rest of the lap was just as quick as the following one.

This is my first attempt at posting YouTube video so I’m hoping it works!

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Last edited by Cloudspin; 02-24-2016 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Fix video link
Old 02-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Dude, those are some pretty tidy laps! Only a couple of small suggestions:

-get all the way to the apex in 13 and you wont be forced quite so wide onto the track out rumbles
-upshift your PDK in Bishops and you'll carry more speed & throttle position and not be on the edge of instability all wound out in RPM
-use a lot more apex curb in 16 and again, you won't be forced onto those nasty track out rumbles
Old 02-26-2016, 03:35 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Tidy.

Holy cow, what is with those walls? Are they trying to keep people in or out?

How do they expect you to get any agricultural work done?

Old 02-26-2016, 03:39 PM
sierralima
Instructor

And why didn't my video post? I put the code between the youtube things like I was supposed to. Mike??? I'm just going to put Mike on retainer for when I have to do anything technical or electrical....
Old 02-26-2016, 05:15 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by sierralima
And why didn't my video post? I put the code between the youtube things like I was supposed to. Mike??? I'm just going to put Mike on retainer for when I have to do anything technical or electrical....
It posted. All that will show during your preview is the link title and you do need to use the https prefix.

BTW, I was expecting a lawnmower race. You know, as described in that issue of Obscure Sports Quarterly along with Midget Tossing. Something like this:

which shows in my preview as a click-able link:

2012 STA-BIL Keeps Gas Fresh Finals Clippings: FXT Class

yet should show up as an embedded youtube clip when posted for real.

At 100 HP, some of those tractors may be faster than a SM .

-Mike

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH