Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:12 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoelife
Yes 14/15 Thunderhill I apex 14 like all the way on the apex berm he stays 1-2' off the white line. I made a segment to show the entire 14/15 complex and he is .7 faster through there and yet I was only .2 slower over all. This is looking at his personal best versus mine in a Spec boxster which I only have 18 laps total seat time in one and in borrowed cars. I was just amazed when I watch his video versus mine that only in this complex was his line choice very different. So as I prepare to potentially race one of these cars next season I am trying to do my homework now.

Can you privately email me links to his video and yours? i will analyze and reply privately; dave@racecoach.net
Old 09-20-2015, 11:32 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoelife
Yes 14/15 Thunderhill I apex 14 like all the way on the apex berm he stays 1-2' off the white line. I made a segment to show the entire 14/15 complex and he is .7 faster through there and yet I was only .2 slower over all. This is looking at his personal best versus mine in a Spec boxster which I only have 18 laps total seat time in one and in borrowed cars. I was just amazed when I watch his video versus mine that only in this complex was his line choice very different. So as I prepare to potentially race one of these cars next season I am trying to do my homework now.
Without seeing video of both it's hard to tell, but here's my line through there in a 997.2 Cup:

"

** edit: sorry, time code in the url isn't working. skip to 1min 27sec.

IMO, there's more grip to be had the closer you are to the dirt at the apex of T14. You have a little camber help and better rubber down. However, in a car that's "easy flat" from the apex of T14 all the way down to T1, I could see how it might be better to take T14 a car width off the apex to roll more speed in, go much wider (out behind the painted track limit and into the bumps) between T14 and T15.

Also, in my experience with the cars I've driven at Thunderhill, staying off the traditional apex at T14 always leads to massive understeer and ends up being slower. Maybe in a Radical or F2000 where you don't have much power but a lot of downforce....

-mike
Old 09-20-2015, 12:01 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 886 Likes on 435 Posts

Here is a lap of mine at Thunderhill:

https://vimeo.com/126963135

I agree with what Mike says. When I miss the apex at 14 by more than a foot or so, the car tends to push and I lose time. I have found that my car does better if I don't go wider between 14 and 15 and stay within the painted track limits. It is bumpier out there and the grip is not as good.

But, I am not driving a car like a Miata either. It would seem that a car like a Miata would be better served hitting the turn 14 apex though because the grip is better and that should improve the speed through the corner. If you have data, certainly try it both eays and compare the results. Compare segment times starting at the bridge and ending at the breaking point for turn 1.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Without seeing video of both it's hard to tell, but here's my line through there in a 997.2 Cup:

Thunderhill warmup 07/19/2012 - YouTube

** edit: sorry, time code in the url isn't working. skip to 1min 27sec.

IMO, there's more grip to be had the closer you are to the dirt at the apex of T14. You have a little camber help and better rubber down. However, in a car that's "easy flat" from the apex of T14 all the way down to T1, I could see how it might be better to take T14 a car width off the apex to roll more speed in, go much wider (out behind the painted track limit and into the bumps) between T14 and T15.

Also, in my experience with the cars I've driven at Thunderhill, staying off the traditional apex at T14 always leads to massive understeer and ends up being slower. Maybe in a Radical or F2000 where you don't have much power but a lot of downforce....

-mike
+1
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-20-2015, 01:36 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you Mike and Scott. I take the same line and agree on what you both do and I do the same in my 911. This is why I was surprised to see such a different line from the fastest guy in the SPB Norcal group. I do not have enough seat time in the SPB car (only 2 sessions) to really know what it likes or doesn't like. I look forward to learning what it takes to make it go faster. I wish I could just make my car a GT class car but not in the budget at this time. The consumables in SPB are within my reach so will have to start there. Thank you all for the help and feedback
Old 09-29-2015, 11:20 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Default The value of the rabbit

So last weekend a friend of mine plays the rabbit for me, and lo and behold, a new PB for me going CW at TWS . I wasn't even on the best tires for the car, these were just new that weekend NT-01s.

I'm curious is their are any obvious areas for improvement. I did figure out late in that session that I didn't need that clumsy 4-3 downshift before T3. At 0:18 you can seem my happiness at finally making some progress.

-Mike
Old 10-01-2015, 06:28 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious Mike, what's your PB going CCW at TWS ?
do you have a rt seat in car ?

Originally Posted by TXE36
So last weekend a friend of mine plays the rabbit for me, and lo and behold, a new PB for me going CW at TWS . I wasn't even on the best tires for the car, these were just new that weekend NT-01s.

TXE36 TWS CW PB 2:01.9

I'm curious is their are any obvious areas for improvement. I did figure out late in that session that I didn't need that clumsy 4-3 downshift before T3. At 0:18 you can seem my happiness at finally making some progress.

-Mike
Old 10-01-2015, 08:04 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

He has right seat. Mike is so smooth and dramaless that it hurts his PB. He needs to hear some gas, gas, gas and too much brake.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:35 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by surlynkid
He has right seat. Mike is so smooth and dramaless that it hurts his PB. He needs to hear some gas, gas, gas and too much brake.
Guess I need to ride with him then LOL

Who is surlynkid ?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
I think he needs Sally to sit in his right seat for a few sessions.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:08 AM
sierralima
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can give him my grid playlist. That is guaranteed to get anyone amped up. I really miss my Bose premium sound system in the Miata at grid. I guess adding one wouldn't be spec...or it would add like 2 pounds and slow me down 5 MPH.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:42 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Just curious Mike, what's your PB going CCW at TWS ?
do you have a rt seat in car ?
CCW is 2:00.7 on Hankook Z214s. Dave did 1:56s on NT01s and 1:53s on the Z214s, so there is certainly more in the car.

Yes, I have a right seat and you are welcome to ride any time.

-Mike
Old 10-02-2015, 12:50 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

That sounds about right lap timewise.
I'll be at HCR PCA event, if you're there we'll go for a ride. I think I can help a fair amount.

Originally Posted by TXE36
CCW is 2:00.7 on Hankook Z214s. Dave did 1:56s on NT01s and 1:53s on the Z214s, so there is certainly more in the car.

Yes, I have a right seat and you are welcome to ride any time.

-Mike
Old 10-02-2015, 12:56 PM
TXE36
Drifting

That sounds about right lap timewise.
I'll be at HCR PCA event, if you're there we'll go for a ride. I think I can help a fair amount.
Cool, I'll take you up on that.

-Mike
Old 10-02-2015, 01:53 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Who is surlynkid ?
The guy who cannot keep up with sierraromeolima. But since I keep her cars going, she has to not brag.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH