ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:54 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dentist humor...

Well, at least the new hygienist I tried yesterday was actually better than the old who retired - very impressive and much better than the young jackhammer who also works in the office.

We'll have to see if SierraLima is any faster this coming weekend .

-Mike
Old 09-01-2015, 04:13 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36

We'll have to see if SierraLima is any faster this coming weekend .

-Mike
I need to watch her credit card statement and make sure a bunch of sticker tires don't show up.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:56 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by surlynkid
I need to watch her credit card statement and make sure a bunch of sticker tires don't show up.
I had 4 sticker tires show up yesterday and 4 more should be on my porch when I get home tonight. I was smart enough ask the missus before I ordered them, however.

I'll finally have rain tires, so we should no longer have rainy track weekends from here on out.

-Mike
Old 09-01-2015, 07:37 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sigh.

I’d be happy with 0.2 sec improvement in PR in the M3 at TWS on NT01s. Looking at data, answer lies in corner exit speed. So I try to squeeze throttle earlier/a bit more and the back end comes around. Next thing I know I’m sliding all over the place.

This weekend I wasn’t faster in Miata in open laps, but I was sliding around a lot more. I’m hoping it was the “new” heat cycled out Hoosier scrubs that were to blame...and not that I'm getting more comfortable with the car.

I figure either I need to learn better tire management or get stickier(sticker) tires…. We need to get them heat cycled at Tire Rack.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by sierralima
Sigh.

I’d be happy with 0.2 sec improvement in PR in the M3 at TWS on NT01s.

I figure either I need to learn better tire management or get stickier(sticker) tires….
https://clubregistration.net/events/...m?eventiD=6849
Old 09-02-2015, 09:24 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Subtle .

I do think that would help - and it's not the sort of event that happens all that often. Would likely get more improvement than she'd get with a new set of sticker tires.

-Mike

ETA: Surlynkid I've got the back brace for the passenger seat and you'll get it this Saturday.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:23 PM
sierralima
Instructor

This really has me thinking…. It has always been important to me that I support my own track habit….

However…I’m finding dentistry is not providing the unlimited funds I’d hoped, and while owning my own practice allows me quite a bit of flexibility, employees and patients aren’t always happy at my attempts to change the schedule last minute.

Therefore, I’m now looking for a job where I can make more money, work fewer hours and have more flexibility than I currently have so I can increase the amount of time and money I spend at the track.

If anyone can help with this I’d appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

This really has me thinking…. It has always been important to me that I support my own track habit…. However…I’m finding dentistry is not providing the unlimited funds I’d hoped, and while owning my own practice allows me quite a bit of flexibility, employees and patients aren’t always happy at my attempts to change the schedule last minute. Therefore, I’m now looking for a job where I can make more money, work fewer hours and have more flexibility than I currently have so I can increase the amount of time and money I spend at the track. If anyone can help with this I’d appreciate it. Thanks.
Learn how to do root canals. Or maybe better to refer them to guys/gals like me so you can concentrate on fun profitable things like veneers on swimsuit models. :-)
Old 09-02-2015, 03:36 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Learn how to do root canals. Or maybe better to refer them to guys/gals like me so you can concentrate on fun profitable things like veneers on swimsuit models. :-)
Dental humor!

Obviously I should have qualified - while I'm asking I would also like my new job to have the ease of a practice specializing in buccal pit amalgams on #19...that do not require anesthesia.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:58 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Therefore, I’m now looking for a job where I can make more money, work fewer hours and have more flexibility than I currently have so I can increase the amount of time and money I spend at the track.

If anyone can help with this I’d appreciate it. Thanks.
Be honest, what you really wish for is one of those politically connected $350K/year no show jobs that put you on the left side of the "Number of heat cycles until my r-comps are done" curve and allows you to go to the track whenever you want. Unfortunately, having a moral compass and not wanting to be a deadbeat, limit the possibilities for such an opportunity.

Based on your banter with Dreyer, dental conferences must be a riot . Although, I must confess, engineering humor is nothing to write home about, however, there is Dilbert.

-Mike
Old 09-16-2015, 10:43 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Apex or not

So i was recently given the chance to drive a few different spec boxsters at a track i know pretty well. Considering i was in borrowed cars and on the "tired" tires since they were racing that weekend i am very happy with my consitent laps times that would have put me running with the top 3. I have been considering going to that class hence the chance to drive. So i started studying the one guy who holds the class record and wins everytime he shows up. He take a very different line through the corners (almost a double apex turn) leading on to the main straight . He chooses to give up the apex on the first apex by a lot his data shows him carrying more exit speed and ultimately 3-4 mph at the end of the straight. So my question is, is this the best practice for this type of corner or is there a way to get to apex and improve overall lap time?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoelife
So my question is, is this the best practice for this type of corner or is there a way to get to apex and improve overall lap time?
Im confused. You say he takes "almost a double apex" then you say he "gives up the first apex." Which is it?

It's one corner of a track he wins on. What about the others?

Your answer is to take the complex a session doing as well as you can one way (the way you are doing it) and one session the way he is doing it. Then, create a segment and measure the sector time. Answer without spsubjective interpretation is revealed!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-17-2015, 12:06 AM
tahoelife
Racer

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Im confused. You say he takes "almost a double apex" then you say he "gives up the first apex." Which is it?

It's one corner of a track he wins on. What about the others?

Your answer is to take the complex a session doing as well as you can one way (the way you are doing it) and one session the way he is doing it. Then, create a segment and measure the sector time. Answer without spsubjective interpretation is revealed!
Thank you Peter sorry for the confusion it is considered two corners that you can take almost as one corner like a double apex. He choose to take a wider line through the first one and the eats it like one apex vs "two corners". Not sure this clears it up. Yes I intend to try it both ways on same day next time I am there to see what the data says.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoelife
Thank you Peter sorry for the confusion it is considered two corners that you can take almost as one corner like a double apex. He choose to take a wider line through the first one and the eats it like one apex vs "two corners". Not sure this clears it up. Yes I intend to try it both ways on same day next time I am there to see what the data says.
Is this 14/15 at Thunderhill?
Old 09-17-2015, 01:13 AM
tahoelife
Racer

Yes 14/15 Thunderhill I apex 14 like all the way on the apex berm he stays 1-2' off the white line. I made a segment to show the entire 14/15 complex and he is .7 faster through there and yet I was only .2 slower over all. This is looking at his personal best versus mine in a Spec boxster which I only have 18 laps total seat time in one and in borrowed cars. I was just amazed when I watch his video versus mine that only in this complex was his line choice very different. So as I prepare to potentially race one of these cars next season I am trying to do my homework now.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH