Sponsored by:

SPEC 996 "New PCA Class for 2011"

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
but not nearly as $$$$ as a Cup, in building and maintaining.
I wonder about that sometimes (actually ALL the time).
Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Which is EXACTLY why the guys that made the Spec 996 rules decided on NOT spec'ing the Hoosiers and the Motons, atleast that would be my guess.
The cars are fast, it is a natural progression up from Spec Box but not nearly as $$$$ as a Cup, in building and maintaining.
i agree with you. it's a good class.
but many who comes up from BSR, drove the 996, wow.... hum... fast.
let see, what if i lower the wt more.... maybe i put some slicks on.... wow, i am getting closer to cup car now.... you get the drift.

not saying this is the right way to go (keep pouring in $), but it is a tendency for track/race rats.

ESPECIALLY as you indicated, it's cheaper than cup... but gets close in speed. look at JRG....

i see 996 continue to grow in GT3 for POC but spec 996 is iffy. that's just my wild guess and my crystal ball is pretty cloudy now days.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:58 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Just a reminder. For those interested in getting an official copy of the rules for Spec996, or having questions about it, please email the PCA Technical and Rules Chair Walt Fricke at walterfricke@msn.com
Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i agree with you. it's a good class.
but many who comes up from BSR, drove the 996, wow.... hum... fast.
let see, what if i lower the wt more.... maybe i put some slicks on.... wow, i am getting closer to cup car now.... you get the drift.

not saying this is the right way to go (keep pouring in $), but it is a tendency for track/race rats.

ESPECIALLY as you indicated, it's cheaper than cup... but gets close in speed. look at JRG....

i see 996 continue to grow in GT3 for POC but spec 996 is iffy. that's just my wild guess and my crystal ball is pretty cloudy now days.
Right, but the 996 is never going to incur $25K gearbox and $25k engine rebuilds. Even if you get close to the price of a Cup Car in what it takes you to build it, what it's going to cost you over the next 2 to 3 years to run the car is going to be tens of thousands of dollars less.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:32 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Though the R1 does last longer I don't think the wear factor is really going to keep the cost down. If you want to be competitive you still need a set of stickers for each race. If you don't care about being competitive you could run the R1 anyway.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:52 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DDun911
Though the R1 does last longer I don't think the wear factor is really going to keep the cost down. If you want to be competitive you still need a set of stickers for each race. If you don't care about being competitive you could run the R1 anyway.
a set of stickers for each race? are you saying the tires are that much slower after one heat cycle?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Any idea what it would cost to buy a nice used one of these? Probably no market yet, just trying to get an idea.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

should have said race weekend. But there are always those with more budget no mater what yours.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Any idea what it would cost to buy a nice used one of these? Probably no market yet, just trying to get an idea.
Ping CoinBoy. He's got some experience on that front. You're right, there is little market right now, but it's coming...
Old 11-10-2010, 07:33 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the original builds was for sale a few months ago and I think it's just sitting in his garage. I just sent him a note and I'll post the results here....
Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that a good set up on R1's would be as quick (over the whole race event). They are a tire that loves heat!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 PM
coinboy
Racer

Greg,
I just bought Vali's SPEC 996 from CA for $37k. He won 1st place in it a NASA Nationals 2009. We are going to do about $3k to it (Fire system, graphics & stuff) and it will good to go for PCA SP996.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,669 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
a set of stickers for each race? are you saying the tires are that much slower after one heat cycle?
R1's aren't that much slower after 1 cycle. But they are a bit like RA1's in that they gradually fall off a bit and then hold there until they cord.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 PM
SpeedGT3
Racer

Can you post pics of your interior or lack of one?

2550 is damn low WITH a 1/2 tank

Do you have any fiberglass or Carbon?

Thanks

Originally Posted by coinboy
Making weight is not hard nor cost $. I spent about 40 hours going from one end to the other removing anything that was not needed. I got the car down to 2550 with a 1/2 tank of gas, stock wheels and a cool suit cooler.
The answer to why SPEC 996 ver Stock H is a SPEC class is much better than stock classes that have wide open options to you can pick from. I am sure I could spend $20k more and win a lot of Stock H races. But what about the RSA's with "hot" engines, motons, hoosiers, LSD's. Without making this a long read there are more people out there that want a spec class to even the playing field between drivers than not. Look at Spec Box this year, High Plains Race there were over 20 and Hallett Race last month there were over 24! There was no one standing around talking about who had what shocks or how someone won because they had what tires. They were just talking about how good of a driver so and so was.
Bottom line is I want to know everyone started with all the same parts I did.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never be able too make weight!

Can you Say BUDDA BELLY!

Quick Reply: SPEC 996 "New PCA Class for 2011"