Sponsored by:

SPEC 996 "New PCA Class for 2011"

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,569 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by coinboy
Just signed up for the Sebring Club Race as the first ever "SP996" !
Can't wait, who is with me???!!!!

Congrats! I will be there coaching a number of folks for WinterFest, 2 weeks prior...

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I predict a new Sebring track record.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 PM
todera
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone installed a transmission cooler on their 996? I have a Quaife differential in my car that seems to create a lot of heat and wanted to install one. I was thinking of using the existing fill/drain plug locations with AN fittings to a Tilton pump and a cooler. Not sure as of yet what the location of the cooler will be but I was thinking of using a thermostatic switch to turn the pump on.

The bottom fitting might be a bit close to the ground so I am a bit worried about protecting it if I have an off. Drain/fill plugs I think are 22mm x 1.5 so I will have to measure how tight I can get a 90 degree fitting in or just drill and tap for a new placement on the side of the transmission.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:34 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by todera
Has anyone installed a transmission cooler on their 996? I have a Quaife differential in my car that seems to create a lot of heat and wanted to install one. I was thinking of using the existing fill/drain plug locations with AN fittings to a Tilton pump and a cooler. Not sure as of yet what the location of the cooler will be but I was thinking of using a thermostatic switch to turn the pump on.

The bottom fitting might be a bit close to the ground so I am a bit worried about protecting it if I have an off. Drain/fill plugs I think are 22mm x 1.5 so I will have to measure how tight I can get a 90 degree fitting in or just drill and tap for a new placement on the side of the transmission.
I did exactly that and yes, the bottom AN 90 degree fitting is lower than I'd like especially with my cup car ride height. I ran the cooler/radiator behind the driver's side front radiator and the Tilton on a cross member. I have a simple off/on switch and I leave it on for the day after a few minutes of track time.

Another thing you can do to cool that area is get the 997 cup car undertrays which have built-in vents directing air up around the tranny. You can also cut out the license plate area giving that air flow someplace to exit...

Oh and run really good trans oil like this stuff:
http://mag-hytec.com/oil-9920%20SYNOLEC.htm
Old 12-16-2010, 02:37 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by coinboy
Just signed up for the Sebring Club Race as the first ever "SP996" !
Can't wait, who is with me???!!!!
Bryan- very cool, maybe next year, good luck.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:46 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No love for the C4? WTF?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,569 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
No love for the C4? WTF?
Heavy, slow, complicated, and too prone to understeer to make a good race car IMO.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-16-2010, 04:02 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Heavy, slow, complicated, and too prone to understeer
When did you see me race?

I know...I'm just jealous!

sean
Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

We're using Banjo bolts/ fittings on our 996TT setup, which gives more clearance. Might want to consider that to give you more clearance.

Mike

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I did exactly that and yes, the bottom AN 90 degree fitting is lower than I'd like especially with my cup car ride height. I ran the cooler/radiator behind the driver's side front radiator and the Tilton on a cross member. I have a simple off/on switch and I leave it on for the day after a few minutes of track time.

Another thing you can do to cool that area is get the 997 cup car undertrays which have built-in vents directing air up around the tranny. You can also cut out the license plate area giving that air flow someplace to exit...

Oh and run really good trans oil like this stuff:
http://mag-hytec.com/oil-9920%20SYNOLEC.htm
Old 12-16-2010, 11:06 PM
todera
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
We're using Banjo bolts/ fittings on our 996TT setup, which gives more clearance. Might want to consider that to give you more clearance.

Mike
That is a great idea, I might have to go that route. Do you know where you sourced the banjo bolt fitting from?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Al Norton sold me his old kit and they came with it... I'm about 99% sure that any of the normal racecar suppliers for AN type "stuff" could source if for you... All you need is the same size as the drain/fill and in a -8 or -10.

EDIT: Found a source for them...

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...upID=BANJOBOLT

Mike

Quick Reply: SPEC 996 "New PCA Class for 2011"