Sponsored by:

SPEC 996 "New PCA Class for 2011"

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:16 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Those LSD versions have the early LSD, which is much better than the 997 version. It's got better ramp angles, and they were still using reground gears in the center section. It's a much higher quality unit than what Porsche is offering now.

It's still got issues with the friction discs and needs to be have those replaced, but when the whole gearbox costs about the same as one of our billet LSDs does, even if you've got to tweak the LSD unit a little bit, it's a steal.
SSF's pricing for the C2 w/LSD is $2,700. Super deal....

As you well know Matt I have your GT unit in mine and will be switching it over to the new box when it inevitably fails.
But for those thinking abut a new box, these prices are less than half what a stealership charges for the exact same trannies.....
Old 11-19-2010, 03:47 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
SSF's pricing for the C2 w/LSD is $2,700. Super deal....

As you well know Matt I have your GT unit in mine and will be switching it over to the new box when it inevitably fails.
But for those thinking abut a new box, these prices are less than half what a stealership charges for the exact same trannies.....
Yes sir. You are one of our biggest cheerleaders and I appreciate it. I really liked it last week when you called me checking up on a guy, who will not be named, to make sure he listened to your advice and had been in touch with me.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:15 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like great fun. When I raced a 996 I broke a two ball joint bolts on the rear control arm. The bolt would break where it gets really narrow right below the threads. Its a real bad part to have break at speed. Think instant rear steering. I switched to GT3 rear control arms and it solved the problem. It looks like the rules require the weak factory part. Am I the only one that had this problem?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimB
Looks like great fun. When I raced a 996 I broke a two ball joint bolts on the rear control arm. The bolt would break where it gets really narrow right below the threads. Its a real bad part to have break at speed. Think instant rear steering. I switched to GT3 rear control arms and it solved the problem. It looks like the rules require the weak factory part. Am I the only one that had this problem?
I had one break at LimeRock 2 years ago coming out of the esses into No name!
What a ride!

The rules both Spec & Stock allow the GT3 street trailing control arm upgrade.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:44 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys - Got a reply and the specs from Walt as I am looking into same (thinking I am 2 yrs out, or so). So, IMS upgrades to LN Engineering/Raby specs not allowed?? Is there a specific reason? I am thinking that if I buy one of these, I'd DE it for 2 yrs as I turned it into a spec car. Don't upgrade or revise the IMS bearing?? Really? Not to say they all grenade, but why not avoid the potential drama.... Pls advise. TIA!
Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Guys - Got a reply and the specs from Walt as I am looking into same (thinking I am 2 yrs out, or so). So, IMS upgrades to LN Engineering/Raby specs not allowed?? Is there a specific reason? I am thinking that if I buy one of these, I'd DE it for 2 yrs as I turned it into a spec car. Don't upgrade or revise the IMS bearing?? Really? Not to say they all grenade, but why not avoid the potential drama.... Pls advise. TIA!
That's strange, there is certainly no power gain. I don't get the logic.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:11 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Well that's just silly. I'm sure Walt hasn't been briefed on what exactly is a IMS bearing. I'm one of the 4 original 996 Spec builds and we did the LN - IMS upgrade. I just had cocktails tonight with Bruce B. and Manny A. Wish I had read this first....

PS: How the hell would anyone ever know if you've replaced your IMS bearing?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Well that's just silly. I'm sure Walt hasn't been briefed on what exactly is a IMS bearing. I'm one of the 4 original 996 Spec builds and we did the LN - IMS upgrade. I just had cocktails tonight with Bruce B. and Manny A. Wish I had read this first....

PS: How the hell would anyone ever know if you've replaced your IMS bearing?
I am pretty sure you've nailed it. Last sentence is true as well (tho I wld hate to start off "cheating").

For the reasons Ray S noted, there would not seem to be any 'spec' reason to exclude.

Unless of course, the potential for grenading and its subsequent carnage is to be part of the series as an acceptable racing risk. mglobe is partly behind all this ...

Seriously, tho, a formal clarification/confirmation wld be nice.

Emails are below if interested :

CJ

Here are the SP996 rules.

You will note that they do not specify intermediate shaft modifications as being allowed. The guys behind this all own 996s, so I am supposing that such modifications are not essential to having a durable race motor.

Walt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: walterfricke
Subject: Spec 996 Rules
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 18:41:35 -0500

Dear Walt:

Can you please forward a copy of the same to me? Saw this: https://rennlist.com/forums/8034361-post9.html . My PCA Membership # is 2007081441. Are the IMS bearing upgrades (LN Engineering/Raby) within spec? TIA.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:35 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

It's an oversight. We need to get an IMS update in the rules without question. I hate to encourage going outside the rules but I doubt that a scrut would want to drop your transmission to check and see if you have a stock IMS
Old 11-21-2010, 12:52 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Is anyone here debating an e-gas vs non e-gas setup. I think the '99 is the only non-egas motor, maybe early 2000 too. After that it went all e-gas. The only benefit I can think of is the ability to trail brake on the non-gas setup.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
Is anyone here debating an e-gas vs non e-gas setup. I think the '99 is the only non-egas motor, maybe early 2000 too. After that it went all e-gas. The only benefit I can think of is the ability to trail brake on the non-gas setup.
FWIW 2000 Is egas, but it does not cut the gas on braking. I left foot brake fairly often in mine and never ever have the gas cut out on me.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by mglobe
I left foot brake fairly often in mine and never ever have the gas cut out on me.
It's true. Mike always has gas.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
It's true. Mike always has gas.
LMFAO!

E-gas cars will cut out under LFB, but only after about a second or so....with some variation. Having driven Globe's car (and it is pretty sweet), I think his has a variation on the high end, meaning it allows well over a second of LFB with no cut out.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-21-2010, 02:30 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LMFAO!

E-gas cars will cut out under LFB, but only after about a second or so....with some variation. Having driven Globe's car (and it is pretty sweet), I think his has a variation on the high end, meaning it allows well over a second of LFB with no cut out.

So is this just something with the early egas ecu's.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
So is this just something with the early egas ecu's.

Welllllllllll...IMO no. I have experienced it on newer E-gas street cars as well.

Quick Reply: SPEC 996 "New PCA Class for 2011"