Sponsored by:

Worst Student Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Why would we be starting a thread pointing out others mistakes. I gotta say that I'm disappointed with this discussion and it gives a poor perception of what instructors are like. I mean, yea, we get all kinds of students, some good some not so good, but hey, that is what we signed up for when we became instructors. It is our job to learn to relate to all students and help them have an enjoyable day and a good learning experience, not belittle them in an open public forum. What do you think the next "new student" will think after reading this thread.

Sheesh, dude, lighten up.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"I'd be more scared of a 930 than a Z06."

I find many BMW instructors are more scared of 911s than anything else. I think it is funny. When I had my instructor checkout ride with the BMW CI, he wanted out of the car after 2 laps (89 930 700hp).
Old 06-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Hmmm . . . I typically tell my students who have stability control to turn it off so that they will learn how the car truly handles.
PCA has a rule against telling students to turn off stability control and similar aids. It's not a bad idea for the student to learn without, but you should not tell them to turn off, PCA says. Liability issue.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:33 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Chris
Is that a national rule? If so, I haven't heard of it.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I believe that it's a national rule for PCA. What I have heard is "PCA prohibits the club from telling you to turn off your stability control...."
Old 06-06-2007, 04:44 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

This is very interesting reading, being a student and someone that will be a student for...a while.

The comments about not remembering turns are very telling as I think that is something I need work on myself. Remembering what is going to happen next from previous experience.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
you should not tell them to turn off, PCA says. Liability issue.
***Wow. Very good point, thanks for sharing. What if the student asks your opinion? Can you then tell them your honest opinion? Or can it still be seen as a liability issue?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BrendanC
The comments about not remembering turns are very telling as I think that is something I need work on myself. Remembering what is going to happen next from previous experience.
***Just give it time, Brendan. Even Mario Andretti wasn't an overnight miracle. Folks just learn at different rates is all. My first year I was afraid to try a new track because I had a similar problem. As you go to more tracks, and get more seat time, learning a new track will come more natural to you.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:49 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is very interesting reading, being a student and someone that will be a student for...a while.

EVERYONE I know has a hard time remembering curves the first time they go to a track for the first time, particularly if they are new to the DE experience.

If a newbie were told to drive around the track, alone, at city speeds, they would undoubtedly "learn" the track very quickly. However, when you throw a newbie out on a new track, the adrenaline and excitement of being on a "race" track with a bunch of other cars and an "instructor" teaching you how to drive can quickly overwhelm him so that he does not have enough room for everything he is considering and to also remember what the next curve looks like.

Most of the guys who are instructors have driven the track for hundreds of laps, so it is not surprising that they know it cold.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:00 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm gonna have to start over again as well with a new car. Going from S2000 to 928 should be fun. Bonni do you have short red hair? I think you may have been an instructor at the WS short track last year for my one even in the S2000.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:09 PM
RSchoeni
Instructor

How about a thread for students going "Whew, I'm not in this thread!"
-----
Bob S
Old 06-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Bonni do you have short red hair? I think you may have been an instructor at the WS short track last year for my one even in the S2000.
***Yeah, it's kinda red . . . more like darkish blonde with red highlights (thanks to my Irish side) . . . but people have on many occasions called it red. Yeah, I was at Willow Springs several times last year. In August, I was there with my group. Then I was there again I believe on September 27 and October 1st with the now out-of-business Leadfoot Adventures group. I was also the one who gave the skid pad clinic on Monday after it had rained a little bit. Which day were you there? I think I had a Boxster one of the two days, and a Miata the other. But my memory is not perfect, as I've had a good 100+ students since then.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RSchoeni
How about a thread for students going "Whew, I'm not in this thread!"
-----
Bob S
***Sounds like a good idea to me, lol. My first instructor (he is now our novice group download leader) still teases me about my first day at the track. Yes, I was a problem child. I knew everything, ya know. I was quickly humbled. Here's the real irony -- that instructor refused to even get in my car I was so crazy. So I feel I belong on the list of problem students, lol. Considering where I'm at now, I think it's a very funny story. Oh, that was the day I backed up into the hot pits when I saw a black flag (I was confused), too. That's another funny one.

Off-topic . . . I drove through PCB last month on my way to San Blas, Bob. The beach was nice, but I think FWB has gotcha beat.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:18 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Why would we be starting a thread pointing out others mistakes. I gotta say that I'm disappointed with this discussion and it gives a poor perception of what instructors are like.
Because, 1) as King Kaiser said in the movie 'My Favorite Year', "...in this business, you never cut 'funny'..." And this stuff is funny. And 2), as a student myself, I find it enlightening and slightly encouraging (knowing there are worse drovers out there than me!). I can't imagine any student taking offense at this thread. If they do, they probably don't need to be on the track in the first place.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:23 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickdm
The previous owner was a very nice man. Bought this car all set up for the track, went to four or five DE's, and never got out of Green. Kept the car for one year, took it to the dealer to fix every minor thing and spent $13,000 before he sold it to me. I still appreciate all the nice things he did for the car.
And I'm sure you haven't spent a dime on it since, right?

Quick Reply: Worst Student Thread