Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst Student Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:34 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is more revealing about the instructors participating here than the intended subjects !
Old 06-06-2007, 08:44 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
***Was it yellow, like Perry's (before he wrecked it on Friday)? Whatever color it is, I hope I showed you some decent (not fast, just decent) laps. That was the first time I'd driven that track in reverse. I didn't like that at all. Every turn practically was a drift! NOT good on tires! You should try it sometime going the correct direction -- you'll love it. It's like a giant autocross.
The S2000 is silver and forgettable for its non-rice-ity. You just kept on stabbing the brakes which I assumed was some sort of secret driving technique that I did not recognize. Turns out you knew the turns as well as I did.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Agreed, it certainly isn't brain science either.
Good catch.

I read that twice. Just to be sure I was looking at it cross eyed.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Brendan . . . remember you'd been driving that track all day, and you're used to your S2000. I was in a foreign land in a foreign space ship. You weren't expecing Jimmie Johnson or something, were ya?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
When you have an unusually long torso, you're capable of incredible speeds.
Sounds like you've been talking to dave's wife. 30 secs. FTD. Ding Ding Ding.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry, but I require a little educating . . . what is FTD? A florist? Lol. I'm sure it's just 'net lingo, I just don't know what it means. I feel so left out.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

fastest time of the day
Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh crap! Thanks doc2s! That's GREAT! Burn, Dave! Lol.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rickdm
George, I have heard from more than one student who had you on their first DE and asked to go for a ride with you. Not only were they clutching the door handle in sheer terror, but they would have to ask you to stop after a couple of laps so they wouldn't puke in your car. Of course the ones that I know went on to become huge track addicts, but I wonder how many never came back after having to change their shorts

rickdm
George is the only person I've ridden with and got sick afterwards. I was fine, then for some reason I thought to myself "I've never got sick in a car before, I'm invinicible!"( ). Seconds later I started feeling queezy...

Originally Posted by George A
I felt like I was sitting on his lap. Not only that, there was a opening in the bottom....
I'll just leave it at that.
My first instructor (he is now our novice group download leader) still teases me about my first day at the track. Yes, I was a problem child. I knew everything, ya know. I was quickly humbled. Here's the real irony -- that instructor refused to even get in my car I was so crazy. So I feel I belong on the list of problem students, lol.
Uh oh, I hope I wasn't in that category. I was 16 at the time, and as you know, 16 year olds know everything!
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I also have an unusually long....oh, crap, sorry, wrong forum.
Geez Dave, what kind of forums are you on besides car ones? You stay true to your "Creepster" name.

Last edited by Greg Smith; 06-06-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Brendan . . . remember you'd been driving that track all day, and you're used to your S2000. I was in a foreign land in a foreign space ship. You weren't expecing Jimmie Johnson or something, were ya?
At least a female version of AJ Foyt, including the Fist Fighting.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
George is the only person I've ridden with and got sick afterwards. I was fine, then for some reason I thought to myself "I've never got sick in a car before, I'm invinicible!"( ). Seconds later I started feeling queezy...

Geez Dave, what kind of forums are you on besides car ones? You stay true to your "Creepster" name.
Huh. G-mail never made me sick. I feel left out.

The forum I meant, Greggie Poo, was the GR forum here. Not sure if you could handle it, however. When you start shaving , let us know, and maybe then you'll be ready for it!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm just a learner, but I'll kick in a thought on stability control. My experience with PSM has been that it allows you to get plenty far enough out of trim for my tastes/ability. The few times it has kicked in, things were getting a bit hairy, and I was very glad it was there. I don't feel it is limiting the rate at which I learn at all.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 AM
rickdm
Racer

Well, among the great students thread I will confess that I puked in my first instructor's car. It was Sebring, and I was driving a friend, Ted's, Boxster who was also my instructor. Wake up early, no time for breakfast so we can get a covered pit area. End up eating a giant egg McMuffin from a roach coach at the track. As I am finishing it Ted runs over tells me to get in the car because Red is up and he wants me to see the line. He proceeds to scare the crap out of me and as he pulls in I am not feeling well.

I just barely get out of the car, and he tells me to get in the driver's seat because Blue is up. Two laps into it I am telling Ted that I have to stop, 'no, you can make it to the pits'.....'no, I really have to stop'.....'no,just keep going...ahhhh'. I had a full face helmet on, and I can now see that there are some advantages to an open faced helmet. I must really love this sport (and Ted must be a really nice guy), because I cleaned myself and the car off and finished the DE. So when your student asks you to pull over, you'd better listen.

rickdm
Old 06-07-2007, 10:02 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Huh. G-mail never made me sick. I feel left out.
You've never ridden with me......

G.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

Yes I have, G. Once.

Quick Reply: Worst Student Thread