Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst Student Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:40 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my wife Skippy performance driving school at Limerock years ago when we first started dating. (bad idea when I think about it). She had been living in Mass and drove like the rest of the mad-hurried Massholes on her way to work. She was sure this was going to suck, but didn't know me well enough to say anything but " geeze thanks". Morning briefing at the track had everyone introduce themselves. Her intuition was looking correct: A fat man dressed in a leather Pontiac jacket rudely stood up first. My name is .............. I am deputy Sherrif from New Jersey. I drive a Trans-Am, .........RAM AIR!!! Needless to say as a student, he sucked. They spent all day putting back up cones and cleaning the car he kept putting off the smaller autocross course. I think he placed 20th out of 22 in the timed event. My wife ended up liking the event, I guess that's why were married now. I personally, have not had what I consider a bad student, but I do know who they are in our groups and have been lucky so far...................
Old 06-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I've been at driver meetings, and look around and feel uneasy about whether I'll get a suspected poor student. Do you ever do that? Like the TransAm driver, Bob, did you not think to yourself, "Please don't let him be my student"?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Why would we be starting a thread pointing out others mistakes. I gotta say that I'm disappointed with this discussion and it gives a poor perception of what instructors are like. I mean, yea, we get all kinds of students, some good some not so good, but hey, that is what we signed up for when we became instructors. It is our job to learn to relate to all students and help them have an enjoyable day and a good learning experience, not belittle them in an open public forum. What do you think the next "new student" will think after reading this thread.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:06 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
It is our job to learn to relate to all students and help them have an enjoyable day and a good learning experience, not belittle them in an open public forum. What do you think the next "new student" will think after reading this thread.

There's no names or cars (in most cases) attributed here. It's fun reading and new students can get a handle on how not to be an f-tard from reading it. I wish some of my region's instructors would post, since from the paddock alone we have some good stories. What occurs in the car must be legendary.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geoffrey,

I agree with what you are saying. However, I think the theme here is not to mock bad students but constructively to share experiences and how they were dealt with so that others can look for similar patterns and respond appropriately. Of course being human, folks are having a little fun with it as well. At least that is how I felt as I relayed my experience.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Because you have the same car number as mine, I will take your comments into consideration. First off, this was meant to be light-hearted, and I think we've learned a few things from the thread. We have never named our students, we just talk about the wild ones in an anonymous fashion. However, I see your point and I respect your opinion. Consider it one of those 'you can't please all the people all the time' kind of things. If you blame anyone, blame me -- I was the op for this thread. Sorry that you took offense to it, but I don't think our students will be upset by it. Actually, one guy commented that he is actually learning by reading about things other students have done. So it's not all bad. Thanks for keeping your students safe and happy.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Paul -- you hit the nail on the head. That is exactly why I started the thread.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:52 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Why would we be starting a thread pointing out others mistakes. I gotta say that I'm disappointed with this discussion and it gives a poor perception of what instructors are like. I mean, yea, we get all kinds of students, some good some not so good, but hey, that is what we signed up for when we became instructors. It is our job to learn to relate to all students and help them have an enjoyable day and a good learning experience, not belittle them in an open public forum. What do you think the next "new student" will think after reading this thread.

yes, agreed.... was not really thinking before posting...

there was a moral to my story..... don't be THAT guy...
Old 06-06-2007, 02:05 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

The examples we see in this thread are almost psychiatric cases (one actually was). No reasonable person should be discouraged from going to a DE by reading this.

Here is what's needed from a beginner student:
1. Relax.
2. Listen to what the instructor says.
3. Do what the instructor says.
4. Have fun.

It's not rocket surgery. You can't fail unless you insist on being an idiot. And that has nothing to do with talent but simply swallowing one's pride.

I think this thread shows new drivers that they are not that bad. If there are head cases like we just saw then almost any greenie will feel that their instructor had much worse and they are doing fine.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:23 PM
wrloomis
Track Day

I'm not an instructor, but I'll share my funniest story as a student. I was taking a beginning DE course at Summit Point a few years ago as a beginning student in my new Z06 corvette. It was pouring down rain, so alot of students bailed and there were alot more instructors than students. We were to wait in the pitlane before our session for an instructor to walk out to our car (all students needed an instructer and they were not assigned permantely to a car). I was near the back of the pit lane and as the other cars got thier instructors they entered the track for thier session. Well all of the other cars were gone, and I was there with no instructer and watching 10 or more instructers down pit lane huddled under a small shelter in the pouring rain looking at this beginning student in a new 405hp z06 corvette. I knew what they were thinking. While I was embarrarssed at the time, I laugh at that picture when I think about it. One guy finally did walk over (I guess he got the short straw) and I didn't have any spins or offs (though far from the limit).
Old 06-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

That's terrible, loomis! I can't believe they did that to you. Sheesh. Most folks would skip at the opportunity to get into a Z06. Well, I would, anyway, rain or not. Given their horsepower and the chance of real danger, I would want to make sure you were well taken care of. I wouldn't draw a straw, I'd just get in. If you are a good instructor, you shouldn't have to draw straws -- you should have the knowledge to keep the student on the track, and therefore shouldn't worry about it. What group was this anyway?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
The examples we see in this thread are almost psychiatric cases (one actually was). No reasonable person should be discouraged from going to a DE by reading this.

Here is what's needed from a beginner student:
1. Relax.
2. Listen to what the instructor says.
3. Do what the instructor says.
4. Have fun.

It's not rocket surgery. You can't fail unless you insist on being an idiot. And that has nothing to do with talent but simply swallowing one's pride.

I think this thread shows new drivers that they are not that bad. If there are head cases like we just saw then almost any greenie will feel that their instructor had much worse and they are doing fine.
Agreed, it certainly isn't brain science either.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHanna
Yeap I put the passenger seat on rails.... it goes back to the cage now.
Suh-WEET!!!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:04 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wrloomis
I'm not an instructor, but I'll share my funniest story as a student. I was taking a beginning DE course at Summit Point a few years ago as a beginning student in my new Z06 corvette. It was pouring down rain, so alot of students bailed and there were alot more instructors than students. We were to wait in the pitlane before our session for an instructor to walk out to our car (all students needed an instructer and they were not assigned permantely to a car). I was near the back of the pit lane and as the other cars got thier instructors they entered the track for thier session. Well all of the other cars were gone, and I was there with no instructer and watching 10 or more instructers down pit lane huddled under a small shelter in the pouring rain looking at this beginning student in a new 405hp z06 corvette. I knew what they were thinking. While I was embarrarssed at the time, I laugh at that picture when I think about it. One guy finally did walk over (I guess he got the short straw) and I didn't have any spins or offs (though far from the limit).
I'd be more scared of a 930 than a Z06. Your car has stability control. The instructor just needs to make sure you left it activated and you would be safer than a WRX.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmm . . . I typically tell my students who have stability control to turn it off so that they will learn how the car truly handles. Do you guys advise against this? My reason is that later on when they become faster drivers, the traction control will hold them back (I've been in a car that did it, recall my original post). So do you think it's better to let them start out in traction control mode and 'graduate' out of it later? I've honestly never advised to keep the tc on -- and I've only had one student spin in six years (old Pantera).

Quick Reply: Worst Student Thread