RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RSchoeni
How about a thread for students going "Whew, I'm not in this thread!"
-----
Bob S
That would be a very long thread, based on my experience (no bad students yet).
Old 06-06-2007 | 05:27 PM
Garen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
I'd be more scared of a 930 than a Z06. Your car has stability control. The instructor just needs to make sure you left it activated and you would be safer than a WRX.

Everytime someone makes a comment regarding the beastly nature of the 930, it makes us 930 drivers feel extra special. Based on the rumors that these cars are practically undrivable, when we do an OK job with them at the track, it must mean that we can be SOOO much quicker in everyone elses cars!!!

WARNING: the above paragraph was meant to be interpreted as humor, I feel that this note is necessary for those of you without the proper sense to identify humor. Do not take it seriousely, and save us all a poinless debate about 930 drivers' abilities, etc. We now return to your regularly scheduled program...

-Garen (87 930 CS)
Old 06-06-2007 | 05:29 PM
RSchoeni
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bonster
*** I was quickly humbled. Here's the real irony -- that instructor refused to even get in my car [snip]

Off-topic . . . I drove through PCB last month on my way to San Blas, Bob. The beach was nice, but I think FWB has gotcha beat.
You should see the looks I get from the Instructors when they see that they will be instructing in a springless, go-cart, with an exhaust pipe near their ear. I show up on street tires, so that I at least have that going for me.

You're right about FWB. Best thing to do is keep driving through PCB.
Old 06-06-2007 | 05:53 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

***Yeah, it's kinda red . . . more like darkish blonde with red highlights (thanks to my Irish side) . . . but people have on many occasions called it red. Yeah, I was at Willow Springs several times last year. In August, I was there with my group. Then I was there again I believe on September 27 and October 1st with the now out-of-business Leadfoot Adventures group. I was also the one who gave the skid pad clinic on Monday after it had rained a little bit. Which day were you there? I think I had a Boxster one of the two days, and a Miata the other. But my memory is not perfect, as I've had a good 100+ students since then.

Monday was indeed skidpad day.
Old 06-06-2007 | 05:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,731 Likes on 890 Posts

I have never cringed or hesitated at a student's choice of cars, including heavily modified Vipers on slicks/harnesses/etc., 996TT's, Z06's on slicks/harnesses/etc., full race 911's, and so forth. If, as an instructor, you cannot set expectations and levels of authority early, while still building good light-hearted rapport and a fun learning environment, you should not be instructing.

About the only cars that bring me pause are tiny Elises & 914's, etc., since, at 6-4, it is impossible for me to fit in them with a helmet on.
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:05 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This was not my student, thankfully and happened years ago at Nelson's Ledges. A guy driving a 944 had to be talked around the course, and I mean everything, brake, gas, turn etc.. He starts to get it so the instructor decided not to say anything as they were heading into the carrosel which is banked. Big mistake, he used the banking as a ramp and drives straight off, goes airborne over the tire wall and ends up between two trees. The doors wont open and he starts to flip out "what are we going to do!" The instructor who was rather quiet, low-key guy reaches across, presses the hatch button and says "get the f*ck out!" The car was not too bad, no one hurt and the student never came back.
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:05 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Your reason for the Elise Dave was why I got stuck with the spinning Pantera a couple weekends ago at Reno-Fernley. I had a BMW before that . . . the instructor said he couldn't fit. Heck, I could barely fit and I'm only 5-7!

So Brendan . . . which day did you go? Did you get to go to the skid pad exercize? I'm a pretty good 'drifter' -- that wasn't the point of the skid pad entirely, but it did help to show folks what a car feels like when it's on the edge of losing traction. I think a lot of folks learned about throttle steer that day.
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I am somewhat long in torso rather than leg, so there are quite a few cars that I have trouble with, especially ones with sunroofs.
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:12 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Your kill-n me. This thread is moving so fast I don't have time to keep up.

Old 06-06-2007 | 06:14 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Y

So Brendan . . . which day did you go? Did you get to go to the skid pad exercize? I'm a pretty good 'drifter' -- that wasn't the point of the skid pad entirely, but it did help to show folks what a car feels like when it's on the edge of losing traction. I think a lot of folks learned about throttle steer that day.
Monday. You had your red "street" Miata I believe. It was the same day a nice guy in a Boxster decided gravel was the best way to clean out his radiator. The skid pad was great, especially with street tired on the S2000. You "drovered" my car for a few laps.
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Your kill-n me. This thread is moving so fast I don't have time to keep up.

Dat's how we roll, dawg.
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:23 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

When you have an unusually long torso, you're capable of incredible speeds.
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
When you have an unusually long torso, you're capable of incredible speeds.

I have read that. So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

I also have an unusually long....oh, crap, sorry, wrong forum.
Old 06-06-2007 | 07:18 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

(Reply to Brendan's post) Monday. You had your red "street" Miata I believe.

***Yup. I would never dream of doing that to my racecar (race tires, limited slip diff).

You "drovered" my car for a few laps.

***Was it yellow, like Perry's (before he wrecked it on Friday)? Whatever color it is, I hope I showed you some decent (not fast, just decent) laps. That was the first time I'd driven that track in reverse. I didn't like that at all. Every turn practically was a drift! NOT good on tires! You should try it sometime going the correct direction -- you'll love it. It's like a giant autocross.
Old 06-06-2007 | 07:25 PM
rickdm
Racer

Originally Posted by TR6
And I'm sure you haven't spent a dime on it since, right?
Greg, that's just cold......bring your wife to the next event and we can continue our conversation on the costs of upgrading your seats and belts

rickdm

Quick Reply: Worst Student Thread