Yes I have, G. Once.
When?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
At least a female version of AJ Foyt, including the Fist Fighting.
***For that you'd need to come to a track I'm more familiar with . . . Thunderhill, Sears Point, Laguna, Reno-Fernley, or heck, if you're feeling really adventurous, Sebring.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
When?
Several years ago, like 2003 or 2004. IIRC. It was at MSR, obviously. I enjoyed it, and learned your line into the Snake that day!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:18 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Man, I swear I've lost my mind. I don't remember it. I must be getting old..... I only remember riding with you doing MSR clockwise.

G.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:23 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I swear I've lost my mind. I don't remember it.

G.
Quit smelling that phoo phoo oil you used.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 864 Posts

Yes, you helped me a lot to learn the exit from the Snake going clockwise. That was the weekend that clockwise on the 1.7 became one of my all-time favorites! But I rode with you going the normal direction maybe a half year earlier than that? I am not sure, but I remember it clearly.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MJHanna
Quit smelling that phoo phoo oil you used.
But it makes me feel light and free and fresh, like a cloud......
Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

George . . . that sounds like one of those . . . errr . . . feminine product commercials. Can you play tennis and go horseback riding now, too? Lol!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Bonni,

Yes, yes I can.

BTW, I started using Motul engine oil and it does have a floral scent.

G.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:10 AM
bdf
Advanced

I'll play

From another perspective. I'm a noob instructor

Second event instructing at Lime Rock. My student is making me look good. Starts the weekend with the perfect attitude, not worried about speed wants to learn the basics etc. He keeps progressing and by the end of day 1 is driving a consistent, good line. Fast forward to second run day 2. I want to sign him off but he asks that I work with him a little more so third run I work with him on braking points and throttle transition to carry a little more momentum through corners. He is doing great so I insist he take the final run solo if for no other reason than to be out there on his own. He agrees and I tell him I'll be watching. I'm thinking, this instructor stuff is easy!

Now the fun starts! I'm all packed ready to go and I get paged to report to the Chief. I'm thinking, Oh boy, what did I do or worse what did he do! Chief asks me to take a green student out for the last run. Ok fine no problem, gives me the car number and thats about it. I find the car, 996TT, gee thanks Chief! Driver is no where to be found so I wait at staging for him. Run group is released still no TT. Finally, I see the car coming down pit lane. He is in a rush to get out but I manage to talk a little while I'm getting the seat belts & helmet on. Tells me his prior instructor showed him the line and he was doing pretty good. I say ok, lets do a lap or two at slow pace so I can see where you are at. He proceeds to pit out and I tell him it's a hot track so mind the blend line all the way to the bridge. He says ok, we are waved on. He proceeds to completely turn his head to look up the front straight, nails it and shoots across the track to get in position for big bend. I nearly ripped the door handle off the door. I say, I guess no one explained the blend line? He says I thought you meant the turn in line. OK, moving right along. He starts talking out the "line" to me. Nailing the gas, slamming the brakes, ripping the wheel into turns. I'm like a dear in headlights. I'm being slammed back & forth in the seat so I can't even get a word out. All the while the kid is talking a mile a minute about anything & everything! This goes on all the way through the esses, no name, etc. & finally the front straight. I'm able to speak! I yell "SHUT UP, SLOW DOWN & LISTEN OR WE PARK IT HERE AND NOW!" I got his attention.

By the end of the run he had progressed to about the same as a new student on his first run on the first day of his first track event.

I'm thinking, this instructor stuff is tough!

Sorry for the novel!

Brian
Old 06-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

ROFL Brian. Wait til ya get a student that is fond of riding the clutch. Those are always fun. Well, in a masochistic way.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:22 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by rickdm
...Two laps into it I am telling Ted that I have to stop, 'no, you can make it to the pits'.....'no, I really have to stop'.....'no,just keep going...ahhhh'. ...
Which begs the question, what is the appropriate hand signal to other drivers that you are stopping on the track to ralph (offline hopefully!)? And what color is the flag for that?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
MJHanna
Instructor

Originally Posted by TR6
Which begs the question, what is the appropriate hand signal to other drivers that you are stopping on the track to ralph (offline hopefully!)? And what color is the flag for that?
Debris flag
Old 06-07-2007, 02:57 PM
cosmosm3
Intermediate

<snip>

Then there was the intermediate student in the Diaso... I felt like I was sitting on his lap. Not only that, there was a opening in the bottom that let all the dirt and marbles into the car. The worst part was that he was way past being solo'd but insisted I ride with him.

G.
Maybe he liked you in a different way?

Dat
Old 06-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RSchoeni
How about a thread for students going "Whew, I'm not in this thread!"
-----
Bob S
Yup, just read through this whole thread to make sure I was not in it.

I think it is very useful thread and doubt any students will be turned off. It is interesting to see how bad things can get, how much instructors have to put up with (for little to no compensation), and makes students feel better that, "at least I am not as bad as that guy."

While DE is not racing, nobody wants to be the slowest (on track or mentally) so we always go home thinking we did well as we passed some/all of our run group. Now we can get comfort in the knowledge that we also did not hurtle off the track, get threatened with banishment, or make our instructors wet/muddy/puke.

Marc

Quick Reply: Worst Student Thread