track etiquette for lapped drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Are some of you guys honestly discussing technique for passing a car that is a lap down? Geez, take of your skirt and just get it done already.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
x2
Old 05-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
x2
+1

Chris is right... Amazingly, he makes his point w/o pompousity, extreme arrogance, or thinly veiled threats to put folks in the grass if they do not bow down most rickey-tick when they see him coming. Others, OTOH, may need to reevaluate why they participate in CLUB racing...
Old 05-01-2007, 11:31 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

A few of you guys just don't seem to get what Bob is saying...

He's never punted anyone and probably never will... but if a lapped car blocks for a few turns, sometimes we have to FORCE the pass, and it can get ugly for the car that we are passing. For example, I may have to dive bomb a car by driving full speed right to the apex, tucking under him when he is on the normal racing line, surprising him as my car is next to him just as he is ready to turn in at full speed. If he turns then lifts he may spin, or plow off the track. THis sort of pass won't work for position as I will be repassed on the exit as I will be braking through the corner and come out WAY WIDE and slow, but it works for passing lapped traffic IF NEEDED though ugly.

Last year in the LRP Enduro I passed Bob 3 times in my GT3 cup (once due to starting dead last, twice lapping) and he was extremely easy to pass, giving waves and making plenty of room, even though it's easy to pass when you have 150 HP more than the other guy. THis year he lapped me and I tried not to slow him down. He was getting close on no-name straight but I did not think it was close enough so I went full speed up the hill on my normal line. He got very close at the top of the hill so I waved, and simply kept left and broke a bit early so I could tuck behind and follow him at speed through the turn. Charlie was close on his tail but I could not let him by at that time, instead I stayed left in the downhill turn and waved him by, keeping 1.5 cars from the apex so we could both carry speed through the last turn.

No need to race against cars that are lapping you...
Old 05-01-2007, 11:44 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks mike V is just having fun. I'm too busy today to spell out everything.

Originally Posted by analogmike
A few of you guys just don't seem to get what Bob is saying...

He's never punted anyone and probably never will... but if a lapped car blocks for a few turns, sometimes we have to FORCE the pass, and it can get ugly for the car that we are passing. For example, I may have to dive bomb a car by driving full speed right to the apex, tucking under him when he is on the normal racing line, surprising him as my car is next to him just as he is ready to turn in at full speed. If he turns then lifts he may spin, or plow off the track. THis sort of pass won't work for position as I will be repassed on the exit as I will be braking through the corner and come out WAY WIDE and slow, but it works for passing lapped traffic IF NEEDED though ugly.

Last year in the LRP Enduro I passed Bob 3 times in my GT3 cup (once due to starting dead last, twice lapping) and he was extremely easy to pass, giving waves and making plenty of room, even though it's easy to pass when you have 150 HP more than the other guy. THis year he lapped me and I tried not to slow him down. He was getting close on no-name straight but I did not think it was close enough so I went full speed up the hill on my normal line. He got very close at the top of the hill so I waved, and simply kept left and broke a bit early so I could tuck behind and follow him at speed through the turn. Charlie was close on his tail but I could not let him by at that time, instead I stayed left in the downhill turn and waved him by, keeping 1.5 cars from the apex so we could both carry speed through the last turn.

No need to race against cars that are lapping you...
Old 05-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
A... but if a lapped car blocks for a few turns, sometimes we have to FORCE the pass, and it can get ugly for the car that we are passing. For example, I may have to dive bomb a car by driving full speed right to the apex, tucking under him when he is on the normal racing line, surprising him as my car is next to him just as he is ready to turn in at full speed. If he turns then lifts he may spin, or plow off the track. THis sort of pass won't work for position as I will be repassed on the exit as I will be braking through the corner and come out WAY WIDE and slow, but it works for passing lapped traffic IF NEEDED though ugly.
With respect: If a lapped car blocks for a few turns, it should be relatively easy for an experienced racer to figure out a better way by him/her that does not involve forcing anything & putting at least two cars at risk of contact or an OTE.

Also, in your example, what if Charlie got the impression you were "blocking" him and not showing courtesy? Would he have been justified "forcing" a pass on you?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
..But Since I might be in a hurry How easy he survives the corner depends on his consideration of the passing car. If you make the passing car FORCE the pass both will be slower and someone may end up in the grass or worse. ...
Bob
Bob I have been with you most of the way on this, but as driver of a slow low hp car this one big pet peeve of mine. There are guys who are actually quite crappy drivers that think because their car run 5 seconds a lap faster than me that they can simply drive where they want and I "had better move" out of their way when they come through.

Where I race my class is the most competitive class in the field. All of us have the same hp and same weight and become quite good at running nose to tail for the bulk of the race. Traffic is big issue with us as it can make or break a race. Clearly one part of our racecraft is deal with this traffic, but it is very unfair to assume that just because the car is faster that their race does not mater as much as yours. Often times we are racing right at the very limit of what we can do and once we commit to turn in we are locked into a line and path. Slowing down can cause us to lose 5-6 car lengths in a blink of an eye or having to avoid some banzi pass by a faster can cause us to go spinning off the grass. These passes are usally pulled off by idiot's who simply don't respect other drivers on the track. When I am being pass by a faster car I always think about the best place to let him through so it does not screw with my race too. Some times that means if he tries to pass where it not go I won't give him room. Often time a much better passing zone is coming up.

My point is here that this posted sounded an alot like someone who does not respect the fact that other racers are on the track doing their best. Having raced hard with my competition and being forced to negociate slower traffic myself I understand how frustrating it is to see your competition gain ground on when you are "stuck" behind some slow *** car. You still must respect their race too and I believe that in general you do that, but making blanket statements like that is just bad. When you approach lapped traffic or get lapped by faster traffic in heated battle think of it as chance for YOU to gain the upper hand. If the guy is really slow and is not well aware maybe you can sneak by and then try to stick Jupeman with this rolling chicane so you can gain some ground. Every instance of lap traffic is an opprotunity. Rather than get frustrated learn to use it.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

This faux debate needs to be settled over a race followed by beer/scotch/cigars.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
This faux debate needs to be settled over a race followed by beer/scotch/cigars.

True. But Joe P made my point better than I did.

And the PCA stewards need to see this stuff as they are forced to adjudicate on track incidents.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:54 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

In preparation for the bar room conversation (maybe at WGI??), and in keeping with my skirt comment, I am writing a country song - "To all the girls I've lapped before" a la Willie Nelson.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

In preparation for the bar room conversation (maybe at WGI??), and in keeping with my skirt comment, I am writing a country song - "To all the girls I've lapped before" a la Willie Nelson.

Verse 2:

"Keep your eyes on the road and both feet on the wheel"
Old 05-01-2007, 11:56 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am writing a country song - "To all the girls I've lapped before" a la Willie Nelson.

n i c e ...
Old 05-01-2007, 11:58 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

I may be bitchy but I'm no girl.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:19 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
With respect: If a lapped car blocks for a few turns, it should be relatively easy for an experienced racer to figure out a better way by him/her that does not involve forcing anything & putting at least two cars at risk of contact or an OTE.
Not always so easy, some guys are really good at blocking especially when they have a lot more power than you. If I am losing time and see the race leader disappearing in the distance, you can bet I'm going to force a pass.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Also, in your example, what if Charlie got the impression you were "blocking" him and not showing courtesy? Would he have been justified "forcing" a pass on you?
Never would happen, I have mirrors and use them

Again the PCA 13/13 rule makes this tougher than in SCCA, where you KNOW that someone is going to force the pass on you so you get the hell out of the way.

If everyone would use their mirrors and show some courtesy there would be no need for this thread.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on Dave, in the heat of the battle, theres nothing more annoying than someone off pace not being considerate. You read my rant about the Valkyrie guy. I really did want to punt him off the track!!! Bad!!! But I didn't. I'm sure there will be a nice verbal exchange if he does it again.

Like Collin said, being in D puts me right in the middle of pace. I get lapped by cup cars but also get to lap others. I can't say I've been the most courteous person but I try. Sometimes it works perfectly, especially with people I know. Other times, well "not so much". It is truly an art and you can tell who is trying to help and who doesn't have a clue. As long as I feel they are trying, I can't fault them.

G.

Quick Reply: track etiquette for lapped drivers