Sponsored by:

track etiquette for lapped drivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default track etiquette for lapped drivers

This pass weekend @ LRP it seem there were drivers that were completely aware of the approaching lapping cars, thanks John C. and those who were CLUELESS. When I am racing with faster cars in my group, If it does not affect my race I will make a lane, or break early and even point by the over taking cars so as not to impede unnecessarily their race. Call me crazy but I can't stand it when I'm being raced by a lapped car. If I have to force my way by nothing good is going to happen. Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:50 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually learned that lesson at a very early age.

The first time I was ever allowed to drive a go-cart, I was about 9 or 10 years old and didn't have a clue how to drive. Apparently the carts were pretty fast - but I was of course a lot slower than the other kids and kept getting passed. I decided to try and block the next guy who tried to get by me - and was promptly punted through a tire barrier in a cloud of dust and flying tires.

IMO, blocking is for team orders and million-dollar championships, and even then is still dishonorable driving.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think he is talking about blocking. I think he means that guys were sometimes either not paying attention or did something that defied common sense.

I know that in the rookie meeting we were told to maintain our line and the fast guys would get around anyhow. However, it seemed to me that if the GTC1 guys were dive bombing in to the inside, there was no point in trying to shut the door on them just to maintain the line.

Granted, it's a bit different if you are also racing for position in your class, but I know that I wasn't in that situation, so I just tried to keep out of the way as best as I could. LMK if you think I should have done a better job (I'm guessing there are a few specific people you have in mind).
Old 04-30-2007, 01:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This comes up quite a bit in NASA Arizona. We have a great mix of speeds in our racing group and it is always a hot topic of discussion in driver's meetings. The biggest key is track awareness for all drivers involved. I drive slow hp car and get lapped quite often on a 1.5 mile track. Some times the leaders are racing hard when lapping me other times they are in some open space. When I am not in heated battle I am always carefull to let them through and 95% of the time waive them by. This is good for two reasons.

1) Tells them I know there are there and give thems a clear "green light" to pass.
2) Once driver's get familer with my giving point bys I can often get them to pass me where it hurts me the least. The driver's know that 944 spec #94 gives point bys and is therefore more likely to wait for me to point by rather than press a situation. This is key when I AM racing hard for position in my class.

For us our dicussion center mostly around faster cars vs slower car or non-class similar speed traffic.

In the fast vs slow car stuff both drivers must be aware of each other and have an understanding of where the best places to over take are. It is really a two way street with both driver's understanding they can both be going 100% and need to take that into account. For slower cars this means point bys when ever possible and hopefully in such away as you don't lose your own momentum. Corner entry this may mean waiting a fraction of second to allow the faster car to slot in pass and then tucking behind.

For faster cars this means taking a point by when you get it, but also realizing that sometimes a low hp car can turn just as fast as the higher hp "fast" car so don't just stuff the car all overthe place. Also don't assume the other drive will jump out of your way. If a slow momentum car gives you a point by at corner entry take it and don't slow down to much in the corner. The slow guy is looking to slot in right behind you and if you slow it hurts them quite a bit. Also if you have space try to wait for short straight at least to power by rather than stuffing it in place that slows both cars down.

Now when it come to fast vs slow and one these in a hot battle, please respect the that battle is going on. Slow guys should let the fast car by, but don't assume they will do it right away. It can be hard to just "back off" because the overall race leader is coming through since that may cost you a class position or 3-4 car lengths of less speed that may take all race to try to make up. Also forcing a pass just to seperate two cars nose to tail is also bad form. On the other side when two fast cars race vs 1 slower car use point bys and try your best to let both cars through at the same time and not hold up just first or second car.

Of course thing get really interesting when you have 4 cars (2 fast, 2 slower) and they area each in their battles. Respect is still the key as well as being aware of this.

As for non-class similar speed "racing".... Well be really carefull since most of the time this can really be frustrating to the other guy who is looking only at their close class competition. Sometimes it is ok, but generall both cars need to be very far away from having a real class battle to allow this to be any fun.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Bob, I have a lot of thoughts on it. Clueless is absolutely correct. I don't know if it is just ignorance, or because they feel they are "racing" or they are over their heads, or exactly what is wrong with them, but they obviously do not know how to race. Maybe this needs to be pointed out to them, so here it is:

There is as much an art to letting cars by as there is to passing them. If you are truly a good racer, you are always aware of who is catching you, and you do your best to let them by in a manner that does not impede their race, nor cost you your own momentum! Nothing will ruin your momentum more than making a faster car dive-bomb you in the braking area, which slows the both of you down. Do you not understand that this allows your competitors to catch up to you? If you just back off a tad earlier, they can get around you, and you can draft them down the next straight! It may even help you go faster. And point-bys don't hurt either; if you want them to pass you in a non-typical place, give'em a point by.

This all falls under racecraft. I have seem many guys get around the track quickly, but far less have that racecraft that turns them from merely drivers into good racers.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, Are you referring to me?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JC in NY
Bob, Are you referring to me?
Yes. I thought you went out of your way to let Charlie and I by. Thanks you can block him next time
Old 04-30-2007, 01:25 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. No problem. For now.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yeah Bob, I have a lot of thoughts on it. Clueless is absolutely correct. I don't know if it is just ignorance, or because they feel they are "racing" or they are over their heads, or exactly what is wrong with them, but they obviously do not know how to race. Maybe this needs to be pointed out to them, so here it is:

There is as much an art to letting cars by as there is to passing them. If you are truly a good racer, you are always aware of who is catching you, and you do your best to let them by in a manner that does not impede their race, nor cost you your own momentum! Nothing will ruin your momentum more than making a faster car dive-bomb you in the braking area, which slows the both of you down. Do you not understand that this allows your competitors to catch up to you? If you just back off a tad earlier, they can get around you, and you can draft them down the next straight! It may even help you go faster. And point-bys don't hurt either; if you want them to pass you in a non-typical place, give'em a point by.

This all falls under racecraft. I have seem many guys get around the track quickly, but far less have that racecraft that turns them from merely drivers into good racers.
Sofa king true, Larry. One of the big lessons I teach to PCA advanced students is how to pass & be passed w/o sacrificing momentum. The few who "get it" and eventually go racing seem to be quite fast, regardless of what class they are in, and are never clueless rolling chicanes.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Larry, are you saying to back off before the corner and let them through?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:51 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Larry, are you saying to back off before the corner and let them through?
I can't speak for Larry but I would expect you to yield the apex and line. and if someone is making an outside pass, which seem to happen every time thru the left hander @ LRP. Lift Please or break early to facilitate the pass
Old 04-30-2007, 01:54 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Similarly, if you pull off a "miracle" in qualifying you should give way to the faster guy behind you in the race.

I have been on both ends of this one. Typically its the GTA driver who is fairly inconsistent but who finds a fast lap kinda like a blind squirrel can find a nut.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
I can't speak for Larry but I would expect you to yield the apex and line. and if someone is making an outside pass, which seem to happen every time thru the left hander @ LRP. Lift Please or break early to facilitate the pass
This is a little confusing. I keep hearing from people to be predictable and if they haven't passed you prior to the corner then take your normal line through the corner and they'll get around you. Is that the wrong approach?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:56 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

So true - it costs so little to ease off a bit and allow passing, vs. fighting deep into the corner until the lapper is next to you! Think ahead!!!

It's the one reason I'm GLAD I started with an underpowered 924 - you spend ALL your time watching your mirrors, and learn REAL QUICK how to get it done cleanly and courteously. We all still have to share.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
This is a little confusing. I keep hearing from people to be predictable and if they haven't passed you prior to the corner then take your normal line through the corner and they'll get around you. Is that the wrong approach?

I agree, Sean, and disagree with Bob on this.

Quick Reply: track etiquette for lapped drivers