Sponsored by:

track etiquette for lapped drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Ah, now it works.

I understand the frustration--I have been where you were, Doug. The important thing, IMO, is that you got by w/o acting on what you would have loved to have done. Well done.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:06 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey VR,
I just clicked on the link and it works for me. I don't know what the problem is. I tried loading it on Google for TD in DC and it would not load with the web based, maybe i should download the desktop uploader.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Sorry, Doug. It works now. Must have been a momentary thing w/my pipe.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think he needs to post the "unedited version" with the audio intack now that he has made his point.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yes I agree!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
Hey VR,
I just clicked on the link and it works for me. I don't know what the problem is. I tried loading it on Google for TD in DC and it would not load with the web based, maybe i should download the desktop uploader.
Ha ha. I finally got to see it. Although it didn't involve lapped cars, that looked like much of my sprint race in October with another guy. I would have to mute the audio too if I posted mine, although I was using some Senna like hand movements (which is the only thing I can say I have ever done like Senna).
Old 05-02-2007, 01:31 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Grand-Am GT class sometime. When the DP leaders come by you better get out of the way...quickly, cuz those guys don't agree with the Raptor and neither do the officials, especially if you cause a problem. You basically spend the entire time driving with one eye in the rearview and one eye looking where you are going.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:06 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by carreracup21
Try Grand-Am GT class sometime. When the DP leaders come by you better get out of the way...quickly, cuz those guys don't agree with the Raptor and neither do the officials, especially if you cause a problem. You basically spend the entire time driving with one eye in the rearview and one eye looking where you are going.
again, those are people who do this as a job... you're comparing the pros w/ 'tee time' on sundays?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:15 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I never considered a PCA race the equivalent of a Sunday tee time. More like a USGA Am event, and those guys take it very seriously. No mulligans allowed and you play it down.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carreracup21
They are no longer tolerating it.

Additionally, DP and GT races are increasingly being run separately due to tremendous speed differentials.

Finally, the leaders rarely if ever make contact with lapped traffic. Too much risk of ruining their lead, and possibly their race.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Great thread, thanks to Bob S for getting it started.
I’ve got to say comparing the intensity or level of competition to weekend golf for 5 bucks a hole to club racing is not valid. I have never played golf but have shot completive skeet which I think is similar. IE step up line up your shot with pretty much all the time you want, take it, step back and relax for a couple of minutes, and then do it again.
As a general rule I have found PCA racers pretty darn good regarding letting the leaders through. But compared to guys like Bob I have a much easier time keeping my cool, I have the torque to recover my momentum. This is huge thing for the cup cars and I do understand their frustration. I rarely need to maintain the level of intensity for an entire race he needs to. It is all about sportsmanship and sometimes lessons have to be taught on track. I have delayed my turn in until I’m sure the guy out side of me has two wheels in the marbles to make a point about how I was just treated. If that makes me a rich D… so be it. Maybe to continue/broaden the discussion you might check out this article. It figures I did not cover being lapped.
http://www.pca.org/clubrace/newsletters/CRN-2006.3.pdf
Old 05-02-2007, 09:25 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Its about awareness and saftey.I agree with bob.If some one is not in your class and is faster just point em by .
Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Well. After reading this whole thread this morning... I have a confession. I am guilty of committing the crime that is laid out very well. “Racing against a faster class”.
SO no tongue in cheek smiles… Just an honest I’m sorry Cladio it will not happen again - …but man it was fun!.
http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm...mag_id=12508_1
Old 05-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roketman
Its about awareness and saftey.I agree with bob.If some one is not in your class and is faster just point em by .

And if the point by doesn't come on your time-frame? Then what? What does one do (especially if one not using an illegal wastegate for extra power)?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by roketman
Okay what if that person who is faster was a backmarker of the fast class and you are in a serious dogfight for the lead in your slower class.

Quick Reply: track etiquette for lapped drivers