Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track etiquette for lapped drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Tim L
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bet is the 944 gets the 13 he should have been aware of faster trafic on the inside.

Tim Lynn
Old 05-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim L
my bet is the 944 gets the 13 he should have been aware of faster trafic on the inside.

Tim Lynn

That would be hard to believe, considering the 944 was ahead of the white car & had the corner, by all commonly accepted racing decorum at the club level.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to think that Bob would've gotten the 13 on that one. But like I said, all the 944 had to do was give 1 car-width on the inside. Just considering his own position, he would have been better off for it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Tim L
Advanced

Bob was dead even at the apex and should have been left racing room. Last year at Mosport I know one person that got a 13 in the same situation for not leaving racing room and being aware of faster traffic.

Tim Lynn
Old 05-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim L
Bob was dead even at the apex and should have been left racing room. Last year at Mosport I know one person that got a 13 in the same situation for not leaving racing room and being aware of faster traffic.

Tim Lynn

Tim, I am not following you. The 944 was ahead at turn in. Whereupon Bob jumped the curb & pushed him wide instead of backing down. Why should the 944 not take the apex? It is the overtaking car's responsibility to ensure a safe pass, especially when the overtaking car is well behind at turn in. Had they been dead even, or had Bob been ahead at turn-in, I would agree with you that racing room should have been given. In this case (despite Larry's valid point that the 944 rookie should have been a bit more aware), I cannot fathom ANY reason why th e944 should/would be at fault in a contact situation.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Tim L
Advanced

There are many lines through big bend a lot of 944 stay wide at the first apex. The 944 was way wide going into big bend. If he wanted to protect the inside he should have earlier not after bob was beside him, my guess is the 944 never knew bob was there. Not good, also E cars are not in the same class as sp3's.

Tim Lynn
Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I don't disagree with ANY of this. But that is not the issue. The issue is that Bob did not complete the pass by the time the 944 (marked as a rookie) chose to turn in, and was in fact behind the 944. Any impact that resulted (had it happened) would not be the fault of the 944. In addition, most experienced racers, at the CLub level, should expect this from a car with an X on it, and should dial themselves back accordingly.

Now, as I have said, had Bob been along side or ahead when the 944 turned in, by all means, he would have had the corner, and any contact would have been the fault of the 944. But that is not the way it unfolded in this case.

In addition, the 944 was aware enough to swing wide when he saw Bob going agricultural on his right. Had he been totally unaware, he would have made contact with Bob.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 944 driver is from our Region and has raced professionally in the past on a regular basis. He was a "new to PCA" racer, but not a rookie racer. Everyone involved was aware of that fact.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The 944 driver is from our Region and has raced professionally in the past on a regular basis. He was a "new to PCA" racer, but not a rookie racer. Everyone involved was aware of that fact.

So what was his take on the move depicted in the video?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

You'd have to ask him. My understanding is that he felt he owned the line. However, I know Bob, and watching this thread doesn't accurately represent the person Bob is. I think that when we are all in high pressure situations requiring instant decisions, it is easy to second guess others, or even yourself.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd have to ask him. My understanding is that he felt he owned the line.
Well, adding to Bob's defense, it was a ****-poor line. Maybe that's why Bob caught him so quickly, even though Bob was still braking!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

You'd have to ask him. My understanding is that he felt he owned the line. However, I know Bob, and watching this thread doesn't accurately represent the person Bob is. I think that when we are all in high pressure situations requiring instant decisions, it is easy to second guess others, or even yourself.

Maybe so.

But then again, none of us are posting **** like this for all the less-experienced but impressionable folks here to see, either:

"But Since I might be in a hurry How easy he survives the corner depends on his consideration of the passing car."

Know what I mean?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Yep, I understand. I've said things before that I wish I had said differently too.

I also know that statement wasn't about punting another car, but rather about survivng the corner speed, but I can certainly see how it can be interpreted different ways.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:36 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Colin, if you watch carefully, Bob's brake lights are on way before the 944's. And his brakes stay on well after the 944 comes off he brakes. Bob also seems way too tight to be on line. It appears that the 944 brakes, then comes off brakes to go back to power as he crosses the apex....but Bob has come from behind him and gone ag in order to deny him the apex, and in the process nearly pushes the 944 off track. Seems to me that Bob was trying to make an overly ambitious pass on a marked rookie car by going inside....didn't get ahead under braking...and decided to go for it anyway and hope the other guy would back down to avoid contact. Seems like a **** move to me, especially on a rookie.
Have you raced?

The way I see it is very simple, I have been in the same position several times.

I don't think Bob was trying to PASS him when he dove off the track... he was obviously (to me) going off track to avoid being clobbered by the 944. I have had to take the same action in the same place when cars either did not see me or deliberately cut me off. Bob could NOT have avoided contact any other way- braking was not an option at that point in a 911 at the limit. He also could not slow down while off track, it is amazing that he was able to keep the car in such good control and come out ahead and pointed in the right direction when he returned to the track. Excellent droving.

However if there was contact, Bob could have (probably would have?) gotten a 13/13. I got hit in the door handle by a rear bumper doing the same thing at Sebring, I got chopped off and I got the penalty as I was doing the passing. I had no way of turning in more as there was a wall on the inside

I can't remember Bob ever getting a 13/13 even though he is usually droving at 99.9% and takes risks, he knows what he's doing and left the option of going agricultural if needed. In the end, the 944 Drover was very experienced and should have left room for Bob, all would have been OK.

Have fun!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Tim L
Advanced

VR why would anyone shut the door on a much faster car in another class when there was overlap and risk damage?? Just because they think they own the corner, I wouldn’t and I don't think it’s appropriate at the club level. I wouldn't shut the door on someone I was racing in my class. I would take a defensive line or leave them little room but to put them 4 off isn't good racing in my opinion.

Tim Lynn

Quick Reply: track etiquette for lapped drivers