track etiquette for lapped drivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Yes. I thought you went out of your way to let Charlie and I by. Thanks you can block him next time
Hey now!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Was he going to stay on the line and track out normally or stay inside and let Bob track out? He stayed inside when it looked like Bob thought he would track out. Which was the right thing to do? Shouldn't there be a standard so some of the guesswork goes away?
I can only add what I did as a newbie and that was to hold my line (not "the line"). If I was coming over the uphill and was left and saw a Cup coming I stayed left through West bend and even down the hill (as Colin mentioned, we went 3 wide through the downhill with no issues). It was really only the first couple laps as I remember and then I had my own blockers to worry about. Your first race just learn and finish. This isn't rocket science, it will become fairly obvious to most as to what you are doing wrong that costs you positions and time and what is the courteous way to act out there. Blocking cars in a higher class isn't it.

Last edited by Gary R.; 04-30-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:13 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I think that this begs the question then:

Is backing off the gas a little sooner, and delaying your turn-in just a fraction (so that a passing car can easily take the inside line) constitute "changing your line"?

I don't feel that it does.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:37 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to thank the experienced racers who have contributed to this thread.

As someone who is slowly building up to take the plunge I have often thought about just these situations. I watched the DP cars @ VIR yesterday and even with that level of expertise I saw many different ways to execute a pass on the same corner. As someone said it depends on who you're comming up to (or in my case who's comming up on me ) and the exact situation of the corner entry.

I didn't know about giving point by's in racing. Great idea.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:39 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're on the same page. That's what I meant by "more can be done before the corner."
Old 04-30-2007, 03:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, when karting at the national level with some sanctioning bodies, a car about to be lapped will be shown the black flag and must report into the pits (or safely pull off onto a runoff area; usually a few on configurable kart tracks).
Failure to do so results in post race penalties/sanctions.

This prevents any lapped car from affecting the outcome of a race.

It works very well and is an excellent motivator for kids to NOT want to be lapped and have to report to the pits during a race.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I want to thank the experienced racers who have contributed to this thread.

As someone who is slowly building up to take the plunge I have often thought about just these situations. I watched the DP cars @ VIR yesterday and even with that level of expertise I saw many different ways to execute a pass on the same corner. As someone said it depends on who you're comming up to (or in my case who's comming up on me ) and the exact situation of the corner entry.

I didn't know about giving point by's in racing. Great idea.

At my first ever pro race, I was overwhelmed by 80+ cars on the track at the same time, in 2 classes of vastly different speeds. I was definitely in the slowest 1/3 of all the drovers (new to sport, fear, new to car, new to that track, etc.) and I asked the advice of the MUCH more experienced guys on our team, like a certain B. Said, about how to stay out of the way of the guys racing for real points & money.

His response: be predictable. Drive your line. If you are getting caught on a straight, they will pass you. If you want to let leaders fight it out entering a corner, stay outside & do a point by for them to take all the inside. But he emphasized that this is NOT expected. What is expected is total predictability.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:51 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
At my first ever pro race, I was overwhelmed by 80+ cars on the track at the same time, in 2 classes of vastly different speeds. I was definitely in the slowest 1/3 of all the drovers (new to sport, fear, new to car, new to that track, etc.) and I asked the advice of the MUCH more experienced guys on our team, like a certain B. Said, about how to stay out of the way of the guys racing for real points & money.

His response: be predictable. Drive your line. If you are getting caught on a straight, they will pass you. If you want to let leaders fight it out entering a corner, stay outside & do a point by for them to take all the inside. But he emphasized that this is NOT expected. What is expected is total predictability.
Originally Posted by TD in DC
What about the etiquette of "interesting corners"? Specifically, I don't really like anyone trying to pass me at the apex of T9 at Summit Point. I usually do pretty well through carousel, and I don't think I hold anyone in my rungroup up there. I don't want someone to dive into the inside of T9, though, because it can be a little dangerous, but more importantly I don't want to lose my momentum going up that hill. So, I usually stay towards the middle of T8 into T9 so that nobody can take that away from me. Shouldn't hurt anyone though because they can pass as soon as I head towards trackout. I am NOT talking about blocking, because my line is consistent through that part (and significantly faster cars can get around me in the carousel if they want). I just don't see why I should screw up my own race just so a car in a different class can get by me 1 second faster than they will already. Thoughts? (PS, if there is a faster car behind me entering T9, I usually point by as soon as the car is settled -- which is before I actually hit trackout).
Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I don't know Summit Point, but I agree with you.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:56 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

The timing of this thread is perfect! Having been at LR for my first race it was one helluva of an experience racing similary powered cars while contending with much faster ones. I tried to yield before the turn or move slightly off line when seeing a much faster vehicle approaching. We were told in the school to stay our line and it's the passing racers job to find the right spot to pass. With that said, I did not want to become a moving chicane. You need to compromise, race your line to keep well earned spots in your class w/o screwing things up for the higher class vehicles. I did move slightly left in west bend to let a cup car go by and another E-class guy was right behind him and was able to take advantage of the lost momentum I experienced entering the downhill.

Thanks for all the insight on this one!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:57 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I don't know Summit Point, but I agree with you.
Thanks. In this video, my friend spins his 997 GT3 in T9 at summit.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UurFRDqu4to
Old 04-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Oops. Early apex + dirty track + too much throttle at high RPM's?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Any thoughts on this?
TD,

Being passed at T9 is not a big deal. In my first race there, an experienced driver with a slightly less powerful car had an opening in T9 and took it. It easily happens if you pin yourself behind a slower car on the left coming off T8. Just hold wide and drift the passer up the hill. It is not too bad.

IMO, there are two situations. One is a racer (experienced or novice) that think everything on the track is fair game to race with. I do not think that there is anything to be done about this mentality. The other is the beginer that does not have the comfort level of a veteran racer.

My first race ever with NASA NE where there were a total of 25 cars in the race group, I remembe a re-start where I got to turn in for the bus stop and Roketman (before I knew he was the Rockeman) was closing in on me and it looked like he has not even slowed down. As a newbie, I was not sure whether there is enough room for us to go into bus stop side by side, so I just stayed out and gave him the apex and lost sight of him momentarily as I turned in. We both came out of there with me giving a point by. I was at the turn in first, but I had no intention of racing a fast car through the bus stop. He obviously had total control of his car, but I was driving my mirriors. I still think about that sequence and what if I am in a reverse of that situation. Still being a newbie, I likely slow down an follow through the bus stop.

So, what is the responsibility of the faster car lapping the slower car?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:15 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
TD,

Being passed at T9 is not a big deal. In my first race there, an experienced driver with a slightly less powerful car had an opening in T9 and took it. It easily happens if you pin yourself behind a slower car on the left coming off T8. Just hold wide and drift the passer up the hill. It is not too bad.
Yes, I have been passed in T9 and I have held wide specifically to let a faster car by precisely because I was held up by a slower car in front of me that I could not overtake.

I meant more when you were really on a good lap. When I am going through T9 as fast as I can, I don't want to be thinking about someone sliding by on the right. Also, I am really talking about that area right before the apex at T9. If I am cookin', I want the apex . . . period . . .and I don't want anyone denying that from me (the same is true for T10, but that is much easier to time so that you don't both arrive there at the same moment). So, I would just not go out all the way to the left so that I could be sure nobody would try to stick their nose in.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I have been passed in T9 and I have held wide specifically to let a faster car by precisely because I was held up by a slower car in front of me that I could not overtake.

I meant more when you were really on a good lap. When I am going through T9 as fast as I can, I don't want to be thinking about someone sliding by on the right. Also, I am really talking about that area right before the apex at T9. If I am cookin', I want the apex . . . period . . .and I don't want anyone denying that from me. So, I would just not go out all the way to the left so that I could be sure nobody would try to stick their nose in.
I have never seen anyone with slightly faster speed dive bombs on T9. If someone is a lot faster out of T8, they pull by you between T8 and T9 which means that you will not have the apex anyway. I do not think that anyone can make themselves too wide between T8 and T9 to block without slowing themselves down.

Quick Reply: track etiquette for lapped drivers