Sponsored by:

track etiquette for lapped drivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:30 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
I have never seen anyone with slightly faster speed dive bombs on T9.
I have seen someone who does Actually, I saw it happen a lot in my one and only club race at Summit.

Not really a big deal at all (particularly after the first couple laps of the race), but it is interesting to hear what other people have to say because T9 was the only place on the track where I even cared about the possibility of someone sticking their nose in . . .
Old 04-30-2007, 05:43 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

In NASA we have a race school and a school race. In the school race, passing and allowed overtaking is demonstrated at speed. Students are taught to observe the faster cars during practice and to keep an eye out for them in the race...I'll say that in the many races I've done with NASA Ohio/Indiana I have never had any problems.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Having had Mr. FStockCarrera lap me many a time, I've found its best to 1) stay online and predictable 2) using your finger/hand to indicate where you'd prefer to be passed by the Mr. FSC and his 'posse'. Usually works fine for all involved. Sometimes if you're lucky, you can swing in as the caboose on the 'still on the lead lap' train and make a pass of another lappee.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:04 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
I can't speak for Larry but I would expect you to yield the apex and line. and if someone is making an outside pass, which seem to happen every time thru the left hander @ LRP. Lift Please or break early to facilitate the pass
I don't want to say you guys are wrong but the guy you are trying to pass has as much right to be there as you do. He doesn't owe you anything, you have to earn the pass. I do agree that a lapped car should (for the sake of his times) make it easy for you to pass but that is his/her option, not a requirement.

To go along with what Larry said I was racing at Putnam a few years ago and this guy in a GT3S 944 Turbo that was at least 3 seconds faster than me took over 1/2 lap to get by me (instead of one turn) because he would drive hard to the apex, run up onto my bumper and lose momentum and then try to power by between the next corner. It would have been much better for both our laps for him to make a run on me out of the corner and we would both have an ideal entry at the next corner. The guy just didn't get it.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I don't want to say you guys are wrong but the guy you are trying to pass has as much right to be there as you do. He doesn't owe you anything, you have to earn the pass. I do agree that a lapped car should (for the sake of his times) make it easy for you to pass but that is his/her option, not a requirement.

To go along with what Larry said I was racing at Putnam a few years ago and this guy in a GT3S 944 Turbo that was at least 3 seconds faster than me took over 1/2 lap to get by me (instead of one turn) because he would drive hard to the apex, run up onto my bumper and lose momentum and then try to power by between the next corner. It would have been much better for both our laps for him to make a run on me out of the corner and we would both have an ideal entry at the next corner. The guy just didn't get it.

+ Juan
Old 04-30-2007, 09:46 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"He doesn't owe you anything, you have to earn the pass. I do agree that a lapped car should (for the sake of his times) make it easy for you to pass but that is his/her option, not a requirement."

Yeap your right, But Since I might be in a hurry How easy he survives the corner depends on his consideration of the passing car. If you make the passing car FORCE the pass both will be slower and someone may end up in the grass or worse. He already earned the pass by being there.!! It's polite to make a lane, I do it virtually every time I can DE or Race.

Bob
Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

But Since I might be in a hurry How easy he survives the corner depends on his consideration of the passing car. If you make the passing car FORCE the pass both will be slower and someone may end up in the grass or worse.
Bob
Excuse me.

Are you making a veiled threat to punt him if he doesn't point you by?

I sure hope not. I hope I have misread your post.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Old 04-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeap your right, But Since I might be in a hurry How easy he survives the corner depends on his consideration of the passing car. If you make the passing car FORCE the pass both will be slower and someone may end up in the grass or worse. He already earned the pass by being there.!! It's polite to make a lane, I do it virtually every time I can DE or Race.

Bob
No argument there. I realized pretty early on that how I let someone pass me made a huge difference in my time for that lap. I raced a bunch with Vipers in their series (in my 993) and I got a lot of practice letting the top class cars go by. I raced with the bottom 1/3 of the racers and I maintained and gained a lot of spots by letting people pass when it was good for me. As said before, braking a slight bit early so you both can go through the corner online is much better than going through side by side. Same can be said if you are racing an equally fast car, if he gets the inside line, brake a little early and get on the throttle much earlier and make an attempt to pass on the exit.
I think we are probably saying the same thing, I just don't think people should lay down to let the leaders by, but at the same time they shouldn't make it hard for themselves either.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Excuse me.

Are you making a veiled threat to punt him if he doesn't point you by?

I sure hope not. I hope I have misread your post.
Not exactly. ButI might not be overly concern with your track out options ect. Have you raced much. What goes around comes around. We are talking about track courtesy, You don't need to be but I won't return the favor when it presents itself. It's that simple!
Old 04-30-2007, 10:24 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not exactly. ButI might not be overly concern with your track out options ect. Have you raced much. What goes around comes around. We are talking about track courtesy, You don't need to be but I won't return the favor when it presents itself. It's that simple!
Should I post my fun in turn 1 of the enduro now?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:31 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Should I post my fun in turn 1 of the enduro now?
Sorry about that charlie. But You are certainly not easily passed. Post away. I been meaning to post the past and repass of the sprint.

Bob
Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...Have you raced much. ...
He has won a bunch of DE's and DE's are pretty much the same as racing.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:54 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I am totally in agreement with what Bob is saying here. I've been on both ends in D and GTC1...sometimes the passer and sometimes Roy Chong's fodder. I figure I just stay wide and let the faster guy by. I even stayed wide and let Ronnie by in the sprint so I could learn something, and that was for position in my class! It is extremely irritating when some I class car feels the need to race you on the outside when there is not another car anywhere in sight. You don't prove anything by trying to "stick with" a faster car on the outside of the turn. (sorry I class guys, but nearly all of my bad experiences have come with I cars for whatever reason...). Btw, Gary did a great job of "yielding" for a rookie. Predictable and easy to race with. Henry H was also very aware (also a rookie).

Quick Reply: track etiquette for lapped drivers