Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track etiquette for lapped drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 01:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by analogmike
I think he has never been in our position.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Brittle, brittle... Reread my entire post. Courtesy goes both ways. Threatening to put someone in the grass or worse isn't courtesy.

Courtesy does go both ways. Just because you are in 996 Cup or 964 Cup car does not give you or anyone else the right to demand that everyone else gets out of your way as soon as you appear. I see this all to often where some yahoo things that because he can afford to race a 100k car that he is "better" than those of us racing 10k cars. Some of us 10k car racers can race 100k cars if we want, but chose not to. Others are working hard to afford our 10k cars. This has no bearing on how good of driver we are and I know there some guys racing 10k cars that could beat all the top guys in really fast cars. Hey sometimes you guys should hang behind a low hp car just to learn few things.

Lapping cars take courtesy on both sides to make it smooth and effective. In desciminantly diving bombing a slow car is great way screw up your race and the race of those around you.
Old 05-01-2007 | 01:35 PM
M758
Race Director

Well, I hope you are correct, Todd. However, it appears as if I am not the only one with the impression I got.

I personally don't believe Bob is going to wack someone off track. I think his post came through harsher than intended. However I don't want other racers to intreptet this a "go signal" for all faster cars to force their way around slower cars.

When racing in a mixed field like I do 90% of the time I am always carefull to try to give fast cars room to be fast and maintain their race. Sometimes it just does not work out and they get held up. That is racing. What I really hate however is when one these guys tries to force the issue for no reason and causes me to either lose alot of ground or worse puts both of us in a dangerious situation. Too many times fast guy think Courtesy and Lapping cars means "The lap car moves out of my way while I going saling throug in impedded." Nope courtesy some times means the fast car waits to make pass 2-3 corner later where it is much safer and it does not screw over the race of the slower car.
Old 05-01-2007 | 01:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
I personally don't believe Bob is going to wack someone off track. I think his post came through harsher than intended. However I don't want other racers to intreptet this a "go signal" for all faster cars to force their way around slower cars.

As I posted last night, I would be all too happy to acknowledge that I misinterpreted Bob's sentiments....if only he would clarify them.
Old 05-01-2007 | 01:39 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

I know there some guys racing 10k cars that could beat all the top guys in really fast cars.
Old 05-01-2007 | 01:42 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Nothing like squeezing some egos at lunch time!
Old 05-01-2007 | 01:52 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

i find pee-wee funny and appropriate, but not relevant to me. i'm the last person on earth to be qualifed like that. chalk it up to unfamiliarity. i looove racing. all aspects of it. the mind games, the dares, ballsy saves, the challenges of co-existing (barring an actual driver error)... i love all of it. but this seems different.

all i'm trying to say is don't lose sight of what we're doing here. i do not have the w2w experience that some of you guys have, but i know how to play the game and i'm all for it. if you asked people that i run with, i'm sure you'd hear that i'm all for brake checks, strategic lifts, playing chicken w/ the brake markers when door handle to door handle. those are all components of this 'game' we participate in. what your car lacks in one aspect can be made up for w/ another. use all those tools to outrace a guy? sure. of course! that's how you win. but what i got from this is that there is actual 'ill will' that some people get towards others on track. in my opinion that is outside the premise of the 'game' and it crosses the boundry.
Old 05-01-2007 | 01:58 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJR911
Nothing like squeezing some egos at lunch time!

Ouch mine hurts!

I have always said (not here till now) that some of the best drivers are in the "slower" classes.

Last edited by RSRRacer; 05-01-2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-2007 | 02:01 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

As I posted last night, I would be all too happy to acknowledge that I misinterpreted Bob's sentiments....if only he would clarify them.

V Reread my original statement with a much less malignant view. Many understand where I coming from with out further explantion. Punting..... Is your word not mine. Force passes usually involve me going to the grass.
Old 05-01-2007 | 02:03 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

There certainly are great drivers in the slower cars. Take a look at the LRP results in the enduro with a G car beating out a bunch of 964 cups along with the F field to take 3rd

http://www.cvrpca.org/clubrace/2007r...ker-enduro.pdf
Old 05-01-2007 | 02:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
V Reread my original statement with a much less malignant view. Many understand where I coming from with out further explantion. Punting..... Is your word not mine. Force passes usually involve me going to the grass.

Bob, if I was wrong, I was wrong. I guess when I read this

"Since I might be in a hurry How easy he survives the corner depends on his consideration of the passing car."

I did not think I was the one being malignant.

But if I was wrong, so be it.
Old 05-01-2007 | 02:12 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Well ... I for one so no need to flame Bob for anything ... some of us seem to have very thin skins ... no need to clarify or apologize for something he never said ... and furthermore, I'd like to see Bob post more often ... he's got lots to offer this forum.
Old 05-01-2007 | 02:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

So Dave....how do you read the above bolded comment?

And please show us where anyone flamed Bob?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007 | 02:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
I know there some guys racing 10k cars that could beat all the top guys in really fast cars.

Ok so the word All is a bit extreme. Probably should have said (run with, instead of beat).

Hows this
I know there some guys racing 10k cars that could run with all the top guys in really fast cars.
Old 05-01-2007 | 02:58 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

So Dave....how do you read the above bolded comment?
The 'bold' and the 'underlining' were yours, not his. Do you want us to read what he said, or what you would like us to think he said ?
Old 05-01-2007 | 03:04 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Ok so the word All is a bit extreme. Probably should have said (run with, instead of beat).

Ahhh, my inner balance has been restored.

Quick Reply: track etiquette for lapped drivers