Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:20 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alonso 'free to sign for any team'

By Alan Baldwin Friday, November 2nd 2007, 15:06 GMT

The race to sign up Fernando Alonso swept into overdrive on Friday after McLaren formally ended their troubled relationship with the double world champion.

Alonso's manager Luis Garcia Abad told Spanish media the Formula One driver was "free to sign for any team next season" and there will be no shortage of offers for the 26-year-old Spaniard.

His former employers Renault, led by flamboyant Italian Flavio Briatore, have already made it very clear that they want him back.

However, the French team may not be Alonso's first choice, even if they are prepared to pay the many millions he will surely demand as the hottest property on the market.

Renault, who took him to titles in 2005 and 2006 and have yet to confirm their driver line-up for 2008, were miles off the pace this year and there are no guarantees their new car will be any better.

Asked 10 days ago if that remained his favoured option, Alonso told Spain's Cadena Ser radio station: "No, right now I'd say no".

Toyota, with one of the biggest budgets in the paddock, have a declared vacancy following the departure of Germany's Ralf Schumacher.

But the Cologne-based team have yet to win a Grand Prix, let alone mount a serious championship challenge, since their debut in 2002.

Ferrari would be the most attractive proposition but they have newly-crowned world champion Kimi Raikkonen and Brazilian Felipe Massa under contract to the end of 2009 and 2010 respectively.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo lauded the Spaniard last week, calling him "world class in every sense, an extraordinary driver" but that does not mean Alonso is Maranello-bound any time soon.

"I have to disappoint all of Fernando's fans - I don't think anything will happen in that direction in the next three years," Ferrari's former champion Michael Schumacher said last week.

BMW Sauber, runners-up to Ferrari in the championship after leaders McLaren were stripped of all their points after a spying controversy, also have plenty of potential.

The German team are targeting wins in 2008 but have Germany's Nick Heidfeld and Poland's Robert Kubica under contract.

Red Bull, with Renault engines and top designer Adrian Newey, are bankrolled by Austrian billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz and have big ambitions.

They have been talked of increasingly as a potential short-term home for the Spaniard before he focuses on broader opportunities from 2009.

Red Bull have Mark Webber and Briton David Coulthard under contract for 2008 but the Australian is managed by Renault's Briatore and could find himself caught up in the merry-go-round.

That same driver shuffle, according to paddock pundits, could also see Renault's young Finnish rookie Heikki Kovalainen head to McLaren.

Williams, former champions and more competitive than Red Bull this season, have also been mentioned - particularly if their highly-rated German Nico Rosberg takes the Spaniard's place at McLaren.

The Toyota-powered team have a vacancy, with Austrian Alexander Wurz retiring, but have not won a race since 2004 and would have to dig deep into limited resources to secure a driver of Alonso's standing.

After the mutual split with McLaren, the decision will be Alonso's to make and he will want to do it with more calm than he has had in recent months.

"I have some idea of what I want to do, a plan or a hope," he told Spain's Telecinco at the weekend. "I know what I'd like to do next year but I don't know if it's possible."
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
STOP WITH THIS RETARDED NONSENSE SCHUMACHER had his **** handed to him 2 years straight by alonso , move on , he was also fired for it and he won 5 WDCon special bridgestones and a titanium tight contract, He is also the only driver , ever, to have his wdc points taken away for being a tit and in his twilight , he blocked the track at Monaco....... So move on , Schumacher did .....how is that for facts ....

Alonso @ THE MAC NEXT YEAR WITH PROPER EQUIPMENT , the Mac will be a contender , no Alonso , the Mac not a contender, there simple !
Wow, that's a real beer goggle look at what happened. Given equal cars/tires, Schumi would have beaten Alo (IMO). Just, look at how Alo fell apart with some competition from a rookie.

Fianlly, Hamilton was obviously a "contender" this year in a Mac. If Mac has a competitive car next year, I'm sure he will contend again in '08.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

Come back when you can't stay longer, Freddie.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:33 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Wow, that's a real beer goggle look at what happened. Given equal cars/tires, Schumi would have beaten Alo (IMO). Just, look at how Alo fell apart with some competition from a rookie.

Fianlly, Hamilton was obviously a "contender" this year in a Mac. If Mac has a competitive car next year, I'm sure he will contend again in '08.

Fell apart . Man your drunk already and the wine hasn't left yet............

Hamilton was pulled up by Alonso's pace and leadership , he fell apart when he had to do it by himself, Mac will contend for nothing next year , 2-3 races wins the most , if none at all. Next year will be a sea of Red......Lewis was more pretender than contender, his failure was cataclysmic to say the least ......can we say Mansell !
Old 11-02-2007, 02:46 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Spanish Backers to stay with Mclaren Dennis says.

Fernando Alonso's departure from McLaren has blown a hole in the formula one driver market, but apparently not in the British team's budget.

It was reported recently that, should the double world champion depart ahead of the 2008 season, boss Ron Dennis could also be facing an exodus of its Spanish sponsors.

Dennis told Spanish media recently that all of McLaren's contracts with Spanish backers 'make no reference' to specific drivers.

He nonetheless travelled recently to Spain, and according to local newspapers dined and played golf with Emilio Botin, the boss of McLaren's biggest Spanish sponsor Santander, a banking group.
Cliquez ici...

Another McLaren backer, the Madrid based insurance company Mutua Madrilena, had followed Alonso from Renault to McLaren at the end of the year, signing a long-term contract estimated at $8m per year.

Through quotes attributed to Alonso and Dennis, McLaren on Friday suggested that while the Spanish driver is departing, the sponsors are staying put.

The focus now moves to Alonso's next decision and with which team he will race for next season.

E.A.
Source GMM
Old 11-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Nano
Racer

good for Ferrari, Kimi and Massa
Old 11-02-2007, 05:40 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Fernando Alonso's departure from McLaren has blown a hole in the formula one driver market, but apparently not in the British team's budget.

It was reported recently that, should the double world champion depart ahead of the 2008 season, boss Ron Dennis could also be facing an exodus of its Spanish sponsors.

Dennis told Spanish media recently that all of McLaren's contracts with Spanish backers 'make no reference' to specific drivers.

He nonetheless travelled recently to Spain, and according to local newspapers dined and played golf with Emilio Botin, the boss of McLaren's biggest Spanish sponsor Santander, a banking group.
Cliquez ici...

Another McLaren backer, the Madrid based insurance company Mutua Madrilena, had followed Alonso from Renault to McLaren at the end of the year, signing a long-term contract estimated at $8m per year.

Through quotes attributed to Alonso and Dennis, McLaren on Friday suggested that while the Spanish driver is departing, the sponsors are staying put.

The focus now moves to Alonso's next decision and with which team he will race for next season.

E.A.
Source GMM
The Spanish Sponsors, especially Santander, came specifically because of Alonso eventhough their signage has been all over the place at various race tracks around the world as well. I find it unusual they would stay with McLaren, unless it's contractually impossible to leave and follow Alonso.

Not good news for Renault especially since they could use some of that sponsorship money to help pay for Alonso's salary.

McLaren got a lot of TV time for obvious reasons this year. If they're not out front next year, that exposure could go down tremendously. It will still be more than Renault's exposure as I don't believe Alonso can pull them up from a mid-pack runner. Total speculation on my part, but that is probably what Dennis' argument would be to his Spanish sponsors. In the end, they're businesses that want the most international TV exposure possible.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:50 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Pete
The Spanish Sponsors, especially Santander, came specifically because of Alonso eventhough their signage has been all over the place at various race tracks around the world as well. I find it unusual they would stay with McLaren, unless it's contractually impossible to leave and follow Alonso.

Not good news for Renault especially since they could use some of that sponsorship money to help pay for Alonso's salary.

McLaren got a lot of TV time for obvious reasons this year. If they're not out front next year, that exposure could go down tremendously. It will still be more than Renault's exposure as I don't believe Alonso can pull them up from a mid-pack runner. Total speculation on my part, but that is probably what Dennis' argument would be to his Spanish sponsors. In the end, they're businesses that want the most international TV exposure possible.
I would bet , that part of the deal , surrounding ALonso's release from his contract , would be for the sponsors to stay on board for at least 08, ING had already offered money to Renault to pay for Alonso , Along with others ....

Mclaren will not run up front next year as they did this year , i see 2 wins as there total tally on merit ......
Old 11-03-2007, 01:31 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Where will Alonso go ?

www.itv.com

I imagine that Ron will have negotiated into his release contract a clause whereby he is not allowed to drive for a manufacturer-backed team for at least the first season.

This would leave him looking at Red Bull as a first choice option.

This would make a lot of sense. As I have said repeatedly in the last few weeks of the season, I reckon Red Bull will give BMW and Renault a run for their money next year in the battle for best of the rest behind McLaren and Ferrari.

It seems to be gelling there now with Geoff Willis and Adrian Newey at the helm of the technical team. The 2008 car should be fast and reliable. And being an engine customer is less significant than it used to be because engines are virtually standardised now.

With Alonso in the car, this could be Red Bull’s moment.

However I was told on Saturday in Brazil by a very high up member of RBR management that they felt Alonso would be a destabilising influence in the team, especially if he were only coming in for a year.

But imagine the media coverage it would give Red Bull if they had the ‘exiled’ world champion in the car!

It would be huge world wide pr for them, however successful he was and Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz is the sort of bloke who would go for a deal like that.

Resisting it too strongly might cost Christian Horner or Adrian Newey their jobs.

There is always Renault, of course, but as I said, Ron may well have insisted on a customer team clause, certainly the Spanish press are saying that he has, so all eyes are on Red Bull.

If it’s true he has to race for an independent team, David Coulthard and Mark Webber will be looking closely at their contracts…
Old 11-03-2007, 01:54 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mclaren will not run up front next year as they did this year , i see 2 wins as there total tally on merit ......
I agree, and not because Alfonso is leaving -- since the beginning of this century, McLaren seem to have the opposite curse as the Star Trek movies, i.e., they do very well on the odd years, but not so good in the even years (i.e., '01, '03, '05, '07 -- a McLaren driver was runner-up. '02, '04, '06 were not so good). I predict McLaren will fight for a victory or two, but I think it'll be BMW and Ferrari duking it out for the title.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:51 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, Wayneboy, your hero only can get a midfield team to sign him............dropped like a rock from Daimler. Do Hill and JV ring a bell ?

Your so called best driver in F1 is walking the dead end line like MoAntoya whose nuts you hugged with lots of lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve. It is comical how you uptalk those perpetual losers, Red Bull, because your boy might have no other choice than to sign with them. As I said before, if that is the case nobody has to listen to the midget crying anymore because tailenders are not getting any airtime.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
LOL, Wayneboy, your hero only can get a midfield team to sign him............dropped like a rock from Daimler. Do Hill and JV ring a bell ?

Your so called best driver in F1 is walking the dead end line like MoAntoya whose nuts you hugged with lots of lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve. It is comical how you uptalk those perpetual losers, Red Bull, because your boy might have no other choice than to sign with them. As I said before, if that is the case nobody has to listen to the midget crying anymore because tailenders are not getting any airtime.
Perpetual loser? Pretty myopic way to speak of the youngest driver ever who's been WDC twice driving a Renault against the likes of Michael Schumacher.

Rag on him all you want. For all your drivel, he's still the best F1 driver in the world with 2 titles to prove it.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:56 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Perpetual loser? Pretty myopic way to speak of the youngest driver ever who's been WDC twice driving a Renault against the likes of Michael Schumacher.

Rag on him all you want. For all your drivel, he's still the best F1 driver in the world with 2 titles to prove it.
TRY to read, Red Bull are losers.................... the best driver in F1 does not get beat by a mental midget rookie team mate , does not get dropped at the height of his career and getting rides offered only from tier two back of the grid teams.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
TRY to read, Red Bull are losers.................... the best driver in F1 does not get beat by a mental midget rookie team mate , does not get dropped at the height of his career and getting rides offered only from tier two back of the grid teams.
Uh huh. Anything conclusive to say to counter the actual facts? Not!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:40 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

If I was Alonso, I say do what ever it takes to get a seat in BMW-Sauber for various reasons...
1)BMW-need I say more?
2)Neither Nick or Robert can't match Alonso's speed and experience.
3)Sauber is pretty decent design team and have Mario as technical guru.(meaning sound team structure)
and finally 4) Alonso will get what he wants... #1 driver posiiton!
Let's see where he goes.
Btw, Hamilton will never get a chance to win a championship again.

Quick Reply: Where are all the Alonso detractors