Where are all the Alonso detractors

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:03 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
I agree, and not because Alfonso is leaving -- since the beginning of this century, McLaren seem to have the opposite curse as the Star Trek movies, i.e., they do very well on the odd years, but not so good in the even years (i.e., '01, '03, '05, '07 -- a McLaren driver was runner-up. '02, '04, '06 were not so good). I predict McLaren will fight for a victory or two, but I think it'll be BMW and Ferrari duking it out for the title.

Wow, I guess with Spocks help, who am I to argue..
Old 11-04-2007, 12:04 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Perpetual loser? Pretty myopic way to speak of the youngest driver ever who's been WDC twice driving a Renault against the likes of Michael Schumacher.

Rag on him all you want. For all your drivel, he's still the best F1 driver in the world with 2 titles to prove it.

Forgive pole . sometimes his meds don't kick in for days ....
Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f8vr993
If I was Alonso, I say do what ever it takes to get a seat in BMW-Sauber for various reasons...
1)BMW-need I say more?
2)Neither Nick or Robert can't match Alonso's speed and experience.
3)Sauber is pretty decent design team and have Mario as technical guru.(meaning sound team structure)
and finally 4) Alonso will get what he wants... #1 driver posiiton!
Let's see where he goes.
Btw, Hamilton will never get a chance to win a championship again.
Look Alonso is still from the top drawer in F1, His release according to the spanish press, states he cannot drive for a works team for a year , BMW is a works team ....

Last edited by A.Wayne; 11-04-2007 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Nano
Racer

If Alonso is restricted to customer teams, I hope he ends up at Williams

Big three, Great heritage (Senna, Mansell, Prost, Rosberg, etc..), better than some major teams (honda and toyota, lol). Not a marketing gimmick like redbull. Williams with a top class driver like Alonso definitely has potential.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:49 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by f8vr993
If I was Alonso, I say do what ever it takes to get a seat in BMW-Sauber for various reasons...
1)BMW-need I say more?
2)Neither Nick or Robert can't match Alonso's speed and experience.
3)Sauber is pretty decent design team and have Mario as technical guru.(meaning sound team structure)
and finally 4) Alonso will get what he wants... #1 driver posiiton!
Let's see where he goes.
Btw, Hamilton will never get a chance to win a championship again.
Another reason:

The BMW Sauber F1 Team is bolstering its technical department and has appointed Christoph Zimmermann to be its new Chief Designer. In this position the 39-year-old Swiss will be responsible for the design of the race car as of 1st January 2008. He will report to Technical Director ***** Rampf.

Zimmermann is a mechanical engineer and worked as a composite and model designer at Sauber in Hinwil from 1989. Between 1999 and 2000 he switched to Swift Engineering Inc. before returning to Sauber to become Head of Composite Design in 2000.

Christoph is a past coworker at Swift. I wish him the best of luck. Actually, there are a few ex-Swift folks now at Sauber. I hope next year is even better yet for Sauber!!
Old 11-04-2007, 04:41 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Chris,

Yes, This is a big career move for zimmerman, as BMW - Sauber could be on the same level as Mclaren next year. I do expect Ferrari to be a step ahead of everyone next year and 09 will very possibly see F1 with two , 2 times WDC !
Old 11-04-2007, 05:38 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Renault and Red Bull Racing, chasing Alonso

www.f1-live.com

The rush is on to secure the services of the newly liberated former McLaren driver Fernando Alonso for 2008.

Leading the race to sign the double world champion are Renault and Red Bull Racing, according to reports on Saturday.

"There are always talks everywhere and with everyone," Red Bull mogul Dietrich Mateschitz told the Austrian newspaper Salzburger Nachrichten, albeit admitting that his outfit already has 'fixed contracts' with two drivers for next season.

One of them is David Coulthard, who found time to also speak with the newspaper despite currently being on vacation.

"If Red Bull intends to get Alonso, I am sure I would know about it. So I doubt that it is happening," the Scottish veteran said.

Coulthard's management told the British newspaper The Guardian: "We haven't heard a word. The team has an obligation to enter David in next year's championship and, if they are moving for Fernando, I'd like to think we would know."

Furthermore, it is understood that team boss Christian Horner is far less enthusiastic than Mateschitz about the concept of booting out Coulthard or Mark Webber to make room for Alonso.

But Germany's Bild newspaper quoted Mateschitz as adding: "In Formula One, nothing is for sure.
Renault and Red Bull Racing,.
" He also described the $26m Alonso rumours as "a great compliment for us."

Apparently more resolute, however, are Flavio Briatore's plans to reunite the Spaniard with Renault.

"I have presented a plan to Fernando about the future," the Italian is quoted as saying by La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"If he wants to cooperate with us again, it can happen. I know how much he can offer to Renault," team boss Briatore added, but he played down suggestions that Renault is prepared to play along with a merely single-year deal.

"An agreement for one year would not make sense," he insisted.

Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn also seems in favour of Alonso's return.

Asked about the rumour, he said: "Briatore is in charge of the Alonso case. I delegate all sporting decisions to him.

"But primarily Renault must occupy a role in Formula One among the favourites," Ghosn added.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:19 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I guess Alonso won't be getting one of these from RD as a parting gift ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh90Vu4bdzI
Old 11-04-2007, 02:05 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,262 Likes on 1,926 Posts

If Alonso can't go to a works team why has Renault offered him a long term deal?

BMW is doing nicely as it is and working their way up the grid every year. Dr. Theissen's goal is to win a few races in 2008. He's realistic in that he knows that Ferrari is the class of the field.

BMW is a solid team with no time to hold a prima donna's hand. Do I believe Alonso could help them out in 2008. Yes, but in the long term he has proven to be too big a distraction and not condusive to a total team effort. To equate it to the NFL, he is like TO when he went to the Philadelphia Eagles. They got to the superbowl after being close for so many years, but he destroyed the team from within and they haven't been the same since.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:19 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Pete
If Alonso can't go to a works team why has Renault offered him a long term deal?

BMW is doing nicely as it is and working their way up the grid every year. Dr. Theissen's goal is to win a few races in 2008. He's realistic in that he knows that Ferrari is the class of the field.

BMW is a solid team with no time to hold a prima donna's hand. Do I believe Alonso could help them out in 2008. Yes, but in the long term he has proven to be too big a distraction and not condusive to a total team effort. To equate it to the NFL, he is like TO when he went to the Philadelphia Eagles. They got to the superbowl after being close for so many years, but he destroyed the team from within and they haven't been the same since.

All conjecture on your part , you have no proof to back your statements Alonso has won 2 WDC , as much as mclaren over the last 15 years and more than bmw and all the other pretenders put together.. RD destroyed his 07 team not Alonso, now RD is stuck with his version of Kobe Bryant, i believe the results will be the same ....
Old 11-04-2007, 10:44 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,262 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
All conjecture on your part , you have no proof to back your statements Alonso has won 2 WDC , as much as mclaren over the last 15 years and more than bmw and all the other pretenders put together.. RD destroyed his 07 team not Alonso, now RD is stuck with his version of Kobe Bryant, i believe the results will be the same ....
I'm looking at the facts. Alonso is going to his 3rd team in 3 years. If he's so great and a team builder, I'd expect someone to hold onto him. At this point, the facts are McLaren don't want him, Ferrari don't want him, BMW could see what was happening, but didn't want him as they decided to resign their own drivers.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Pete
I'm looking at the facts. Alonso is going to his 3rd team in 3 years. If he's so great and a team builder, I'd expect someone to hold onto him. At this point, the facts are McLaren don't want him, Ferrari don't want him, BMW could see what was happening, but didn't want him as they decided to resign their own drivers.

LOL, Yes Alonso is not wanted He should go and hang out with that other
fired unwanted guy , Hmmm, what's his name again , ahh yes Michael Schumacher....
Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
.................... the best driver in F1 does not get beat by a mental midget rookie team mate , does not get dropped at the height of his career and getting rides offered only from tier two back of the grid teams.
Excuse me, but did I miss something?
Does FA carry #1 on his nose next season? I believe that has been won by Kimi (unless of course the court of appeals decides differently in a week or so).

FA WAS the best driver in F1, not anymore. Nice 2 time champion, end of story/career.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:01 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LOL, Yes Alonso is not wanted He should go and hang out with that other
fired unwanted guy , Hmmm, what's his name again , ahh yes Michael Schumacher....
Ouch, that's harsh......
A. Wayne.....wait a minute, is your real name Luca di Montezemolo?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:43 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

What I see happening for Alonso is a one year deal with Red Bull then going to Renault. He WILL end up with Briatore. They seem to work together well. They get each other. Three years, three teams is not fair. He left Renault because they were not sure if they had the funding to continue in F1 and Alonso did the right thing by securing his future with a contender. Now he has to leave because RD mis-managed his talent and you blame that on Alosno?

Realistically, for many reasons, Ferrari is in a great position to continue as champions. I don't think anyone on the grid can really compete next year although I hope I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Where are all the Alonso detractors