Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are all the Alonso detractors

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While Renault was mid pack this year, I think with Alonso and proper backing (funding), Renault will be able to at least challenge Mac next year. Remember, Mac is still involved with the espionage case and will have their '08 car scrutinized with the thought that anything that looks remotely familiar with what was in the F documents will be excluded. That translates to a very conservative car and alot of engineering handcuffs. I think the only game in town next year will be Ferrari. I also think the damage done by Alonso this year is already being undone. He finished strong and I'm sure there is some validity to the statements that the press is creating some of the drama. Alonso is a primadonna but everyone knew that going in. Nobody forsaw Hamilton being so strong. Alonso should stay and deal with the fact that he won't be favored, but will be treated equally. RD would love nothing more than to win WDC and have second place and the constructor's title next year. That would be some vindication for this effed up year for him.

I wonder how Hamilton will start next season. Remember, this year he came in off a high having just won the GP-2 championship. Now he will enter his second season as the biggest loser. He may have all kinds of self doubt while Alonso should come out of the box very strong.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
While Renault was mid pack this year, I think with Alonso and proper backing (funding), Renault will be able to at least challenge Mac next year. Remember, Mac is still involved with the espionage case and will have their '08 car scrutinized with the thought that anything that looks remotely familiar with what was in the F documents will be excluded. That translates to a very conservative car and alot of engineering handcuffs. I think the only game in town next year will be Ferrari. I also think the damage done by Alonso this year is already being undone. He finished strong and I'm sure there is some validity to the statements that the press is creating some of the drama. Alonso is a primadonna but everyone knew that going in. Nobody forsaw Hamilton being so strong. Alonso should stay and deal with the fact that he won't be favored, but will be treated equally. RD would love nothing more than to win WDC and have second place and the constructor's title next year. That would be some vindication for this effed up year for him.

I wonder how Hamilton will start next season. Remember, this year he came in off a high having just won the GP-2 championship. Now he will enter his second season as the biggest loser. He may have all kinds of self doubt while Alonso should come out of the box very strong.
Hamilton without daddy's help cannot beat Alonso , that is now obvious , heck he couldn't win a WDC with a 20 point lead , The real scab at Mclaren is RD , who alienated his team, brought them disgrace and in the end failed to deliver a WDC. not Alonso , who did his job .
Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,481 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Mitch, you bring up a lot of valid points, but I just can't see Alonso being on a team and not being the #1 driver. Given how McLaren totally wasted this year by trying to be equal with their drivers, it's clear that you have to favor one over the other to secure a WC.

Ron Dennis did not learn this during the Senna/Prost era and evidently did not read that part in the Ferrari Dossier on how to win the WC, thus failing badly on both driver and constructors championships this year. One has to have the slight advantage over the other, until one is eliminated mathmatically. Alonso will not be that person at McLaren in 2008.

All the talk in the media about Alonso can't be released without his permission is just part of the negotiation process. In the end, I'd bet he goes to where he is most confortable, which is Renault. Whether Renault decide to increase their budget is up to Ghosn.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:31 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitch236

Renault will not be a contender for the WDC nexy year...........not unless Michelin enters again and the FIA brings out another tite rule which would catch the current top teams cold. Nil chance.

Fact not fiction.

The only reason they won in 05 was new tire rules, 06 Alonso blew a similar lead like LH had this year and needed pure luck to bring home the bacon because Renault / Michelin had no answer to Ferrari towards the end of the season as far as speed was concerned.

Alonso will do better than the duds they had this year at Renault but don't expect miracles. It certainly will not be the best (or close) car of the field and that is that. No WDC.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:47 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pole position
Renault will not be a contender for the WDC nexy year...........not unless Michelin enters again and the FIA brings out another tite rule which would catch the current top teams cold. Nil chance.

Fact not fiction.

The only reason they won in 05 was new tire rules, 06 Alonso blew a similar lead like LH had this year and needed pure luck to bring home the bacon because Renault / Michelin had no answer to Ferrari towards the end of the season as far as speed was concerned.

Alonso will do better than the duds they had this year at Renault but don't expect miracles. It certainly will not be the best (or close) car of the field and that is that. No WDC.
I agree that Renault won't be a contender for WDC but I don't think Mac will be either. Mac has a major setback to overcome that will hold off new technology for a year (unless it is completely novel technology). I think next year will be a runaway year for Ferrari unless they have the same inner fighting like Mac did this year. What I was saying is that if Alonso goes to Renault (who isn't being investigated) they may give Mac a run for 2nd place. Alonso may not care if he loses WDC as long as he beats his two main rivals, Hamilton and Dennis.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pole position

Fact not fiction.

Ohh yeah and which race did alonso blow this suspected lead from, at monza where he was penalised for blocking massa who was 200 m behind , ohh yes 05 , alonso on special tires and MS on the sears special Bridgestone, STOP WITH THIS RETARDED NONSENSE SCHUMACHER had his **** handed to him 2 years straight by alonso , move on , he was also fired for it and he won 5 WDCon special bridgestones and a titanium tight contract, He is also the only driver , ever, to have his wdc points taken away for being a tit and in his twilight , he blocked the track at Monaco....... So move on , Schumacher did .....how is that for facts ....

Alonso @ THE MAC NEXT YEAR WITH PROPER EQUIPMENT , the Mac will be a contender , no Alonso , the Mac not a contender, there simple !
Old 11-01-2007, 04:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
....SCHUMACHER had his **** handed to him 2 years straight by alonso...
I don't think I would have chosen to describe it as 'having his **** handed to him'....seemed a bit more competitive than that
Old 11-01-2007, 05:00 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Well Ok, as long as they get it.... less not forget , he was driving a blinking Renault , never won before Alonso and has'nt after , Renault has been trying for a WDC since 1976, in contrast Ferrari was successful before MS and have now proven they can be after, If we could only get the Ms swingers to discuss the racing and it's related content without disparaging Alonso unnecessarily.... we can only hope
Old 11-01-2007, 05:59 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Well Ok, as long as they get it.... less not forget , he was driving a blinking Renault , never won before Alonso and has'nt after , Renault has been trying for a WDC since 1976, in contrast Ferrari was successful before MS and have now proven they can be after, If we could only get the Ms swingers to discuss the racing and it's related content without disparaging Alonso unnecessarily.... we can only hope
Wayne's world again? Renault have won before, they were called something else, but they won. Only recently were they named Renault as a factory effort.

Once again, who are you trying to fool, the newbie to the sport? The tenured see right through your half truths.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:56 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Wayne's world again? Renault have won before, they were called something else, but they won. Only recently were they named Renault as a factory effort.

Once again, who are you trying to fool, the newbie to the sport? The tenured see right through your half truths.
Renault have never won a wdc or wcc as A factory team , constructor . only the 2 with Alonso, they have won as engine supplier to both williams and benetton
Old 11-01-2007, 08:16 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's what I was referring to (Benetton specifically, as Machett is on record as saying that it was pretty much a Renault operation). In fact, as you know a certain MS won with Renault power.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:02 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Pete
That's what I was referring to (Benetton specifically, as Machett is on record as saying that it was pretty much a Renault operation). In fact, as you know a certain MS won with Renault power.
It was not a Renault operation and if Machett said that , then log it as erroneous statement number 1200010000000 from him, that was Team Benetton, most of that WDC team was assembled by Tom Walkinshaw , including Schumacher , whom he stole from Eddie Jordan. Renault became engine supplier in 95 , the 2nd year Benetton won the WDC , It was not a Renault operation, Renault was their engine supplier, a deal Walkinshaw was able to swing , to the wrinkling of Frank Williams , as Willams was the works Renault team. Renault bought the operation a year or 2 later, When both Ms and Walkinshaw moved on . So It wasn't until a little Spaniard by the Name of Alonso, a whopping 10 yrs later did they win there first WDC and WCC as Renault.

Last edited by A.Wayne; 11-02-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:45 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Alonso and McLaren agree to part ways

By Pablo Elizalde Friday, November 2nd 2007, 11:51 GMT

Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso will not drive for the McLaren Mercedes team next season after getting out of his contract, Spanish media reported on Friday.

The Spaniard, who had joined the British squad from Renault this year, had signed a three-year deal with McLaren, but his relationship with the squad and team boss Ron Dennis deteriorated badly throughout the season.

The problems at McLaren led Alonso and his management to try and find a way out of the team, and a deal was finally agreed on Friday, top Spanish papers reported on Friday.

They said Alonso will not have to pay any money for his exit.

McLaren were unavailable for comment.

"Everything has ended up well," Alonso's manager Luis Garcia Abad told Spanish media.

The Spaniard has been linked with several teams in recent weeks, including Renault, Williams, Red Bull and Toyota.

Alonso finished in third place in this year's standings behind Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen and McLaren teammate Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:46 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default McLaren confirm Alonso's exit

By Pablo Elizalde Friday, November 2nd 2007, 12:09 GMT

The McLaren Mercedes team have confirmed Fernando Alonso will leave the team the two sides agreed to end the Spaniard's three-year contract early.

"Following a meeting between Fernando Alonso and McLaren, it was agreed that it would be in the best interests of both parties to bring the relationship to an end," said the team in a statement.

"The mutual parting of ways has not been discussed until now, since it was felt that any such discussion could have seriously disrupted the team's and Fernando's 2007 Formula One World Championship challenge.

"Both parties believe that this was the right decision."

Alonso, who had a torrid relationship with McLaren boss Ron Dennis during the season, was sorry things did not work out between him and the team.

The Spaniard, however, said McLaren were still a great outfit.

"Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out," said the Spaniard.

"I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team. Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home.

"I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win.

"Today's decision allows all of us to focus on 2008, and I wish the team, Vodafone, Banco Santander, Mutua Madrilena and all the other team Partners who I have worked closely with during the year, the best for the future."

Dennis praised Alonso and said the decision to part company was the right one.

"Everybody at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, especially McLaren's Spanish Partners Banco Santander and Mutua Madrilena and the team's title partner Vodafone, want to wish Fernando all the best for the future.

"He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward.

"We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best, and we will now continue to focus on our 2008 World Championship challenge."

McLaren said they will announce who will partner Lewis Hamilton next year in due course.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:40 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Ok, let the betting begin! I say Alonso goes to Renault for Kovalainen. That would allow Fisi to stay.

Quick Reply: Where are all the Alonso detractors