Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2024 | 02:17 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Since you are writing for the PCA why don't you forget the minutiae about CPAP usage and turn your intellect toward whether requiring CPAP data actually improves safety.

Remember, there are diabetic club racers and we don't check their insulin levels. Remember that we don't require breathalizer tests for people who have stayed out late. Remember that we don't have a curfew. Remember that we do not require people to get out of their car in a short period of time in case it does on fire. Remember that we do not check safety gear for drivers after their first rookie inspection. Etc. etc, etc, etc,

I could go on and on, but remember, CPAP data is what is going to keep us safe.
I have already commented on those things.

It seems clear that the trucking industry situation has "challenges and perhaps opportunities" with this topic, and it might be an important topic until truck drivers are replaced with robots/HW and SW. Folks all over the world are working on that including some in my area.

I don't know whether PCA/PCA CR has "dug deep" on what seems to me are clear challenges with what you have stated is their approach related to trucking. I note that there is no mention of trucking in either of the PCA comms you have posted.

Perhaps they need back away from weeds/rim of the can of worms, to thank you, cordially invite you to race, and fund the first round of drinks.

As for the fish... not sure.
Old 08-21-2024 | 02:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Since you are writing for the PCA why don't you forget the minutiae about CPAP usage and turn your intellect toward whether requiring CPAP data actually improves safety.

Remember, there are diabetic club racers and we don't check their insulin levels. Remember that we don't require breathalizer tests for people who have stayed out late. Remember that we don't have a curfew. Remember that we do not require people to get out of their car in a short period of time in case it does on fire. Remember that we do not check safety gear for drivers after their first rookie inspection. Etc. etc, etc, etc,

I could go on and on, but remember, CPAP data is what is going to keep us safe.
I agree that PCA CR's approach to safety risk management is not well considered. But the fact remains that they want their medical committee to medically clear racers, and the medical committee has chosen to evaluate a driver's health situation in order to make their determination. With that being their process, it's not unreasonable for them to want to review CPAP data if a CPAP has been prescribed, even if the reasons they gave you for wanting the CPAP data seem nonsensical.
Old 08-21-2024 | 02:34 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Started working with corporate lawyers and biz execs at 18 years old at GE Healthcare.

Spent some time in litigation space as well.
And you also walked on the moon, was president of France, and split the atom.

And all this in addition to all your professional experience you highlighted in your last 50 posts.

You are the shizzle my friend....

Last edited by dgrobs; 08-21-2024 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2024 | 02:36 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hbdunn
Cannot keep you less safe.
It can if you're using it while racing.

See you at The Rock in a couple days?
Old 08-21-2024 | 03:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I have already commented on those things.

It seems clear that the trucking industry situation has "challenges and perhaps opportunities" with this topic, and it might be an important topic until truck drivers are replaced with robots/HW and SW. Folks all over the world are working on that including some in my area.

I don't know whether PCA/PCA CR has "dug deep" on what seems to me are clear challenges with what you have stated is their approach related to trucking. I note that there is no mention of trucking in either of the PCA comms you have posted.

Perhaps they need back away from weeds/rim of the can of worms, to thank you, cordially invite you to race, and fund the first round of drinks.

As for the fish... not sure.
I mention truck driver standards in my whistleblower letter to PCA, but they never mention it in any of their replies because that would be inconvenient. There is no logic behind the standard for race car drivers.
Old 08-21-2024 | 03:09 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

peterp and Mahler--cage match, no holds barred, no weapons, no hair pulling or biting, good ol' fashion street fight fisticuffs, to the death.

Who's your money on?
The following users liked this post:
SETaylor (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024 | 03:27 PM
SETaylor
Track Day

Originally Posted by dgrobs
peterp and Mahler--cage match, no holds barred, no weapons, no hair pulling or biting, good ol' fashion street fight fisticuffs, to the death.

Who's your money on?
New here and haven't read every post so I am lacking some context and have nothing of value to add other than I hope both parties have fun!
Old 08-21-2024 | 03:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Who's your money on?
Hmmmm. No biting or hair-pulling? Then my vote is on Pete
dgrobs (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024 | 03:41 PM
amurph182
Racer

I mention truck driver standards in my whistleblower letter to PCA, but they never mention it in any of their replies because that would be inconvenient. There is no logic behind the standard for race car drivers.
The truck driver thing seems to the basis for a good chunk of the medical committee's standards. I was reading a 2022 issue of the club racing magazine* last weekend and they mentioned it in there. It's not just for OSA, it's basically for anything that DOT has set a standard on for truck drivers. I am not qualified to determine if driving a race car and driving a big rig with a box of krispy kremes next to me are similar enough for that to make sense but it seems to be the path they've chosen.

*(why am I reading old issues of the club racing magazine? I haven't been able to get on track since march and I'm freaking out so give me a break)
The following 4 users liked this post by amurph182:
dgrobs (08-21-2024), DKP 97 C2 Coupe (08-21-2024), LuigiVampa (08-21-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024 | 03:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amurph182
The truck driver thing seems to the basis for a good chunk of the medical committee's standards. I was reading a 2022 issue of the club racing magazine* last weekend and they mentioned it in there. It's not just for OSA, it's basically for anything that DOT has set a standard on for truck drivers. I am not qualified to determine if driving a race car and driving a big rig with a box of krispy kremes next to me are similar enough for that to make sense but it seems to be the path they've chosen.

*(why am I reading old issues of the club racing magazine? I haven't been able to get on track since march and I'm freaking out so give me a break)
Come on man, you know you can't take a box of Krispy Kremes out on track with you.
Old 08-21-2024 | 04:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Keep in mind that OSA has a range of physiological effects other than making someone sleepy and prone to falling asleep. It can affect attention, perception, memory, judgment, decision-making, motor control, etc. Since driving trucks and driving on the race track are both driving, it's not necessarily unreasonable to apply trucking standards to CR if there are no other more relevant standards available. PCA isn't making anyone less safe by verifying CPAP usage for those who prescribed to use a CPAP, and it's possible that they're increasing safety. They can argue that they're erring on the side of safety.
peterp (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024 | 04:22 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Keeping your car in the garage is what is safest. Anything else is a risk.

The line should be drawn in a reasonable place and PCA looks ridiculous for saying CPAP data has something to do with safety when there are so many other risks.

Ridiculous and it is mere hubris and spite that they don't review this policy.
Veloce Raptor (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024 | 04:26 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Keeping your car in the garage is what is safest. Anything else is a risk.

The line should be drawn in a reasonable place and PCA looks ridiculous for saying CPAP data has something to do with safety when there are so many other risks.

Ridiculous and it is mere hubris and spite that they don't review this policy.
Hubris, a word that you actually taught me here on RL. Nice.
Matt Romanowski (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024 | 05:40 PM
amurph182
Racer

Come on man, you know you can't take a box of Krispy Kremes out on track with you.
then what good is an open face helmet?
The following 2 users liked this post by amurph182:
dbf73 (08-22-2024), needmoregarage (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024 | 05:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Keep in mind that OSA has a range of physiological effects other than making someone sleepy and prone to falling asleep. It can affect attention, perception, memory, judgment, decision-making, motor control, etc. Since driving trucks and driving on the race track are both driving, it's not necessarily unreasonable to apply trucking standards to CR if there are no other more relevant standards available. PCA isn't making anyone less safe by verifying CPAP usage for those who prescribed to use a CPAP, and it's possible that they're increasing safety. They can argue that they're erring on the side of safety.
You're a funny guy!

The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
dgrobs (08-22-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-21-2024)

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license