Hahahaaa!!

As you can see, I struck a nerve dead-center
Old 08-20-2024 | 05:30 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Hahahaaa!!

As you can see, I struck a nerve dead-center
Yeah, sure looks that way. You have him talking to himself...lol.
Old 08-20-2024 | 05:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Yeah, sure looks that way. You have him talking to himself...lol.
Would you mind not spamming the thread?
Old 08-20-2024 | 05:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Old 08-20-2024 | 05:41 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Old 08-20-2024 | 05:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Old 08-20-2024 | 05:51 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Meh...
I'm a Grand Illusion guy
Old 08-20-2024 | 06:39 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

From: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon

Does make me wonder....
How does anyone here ever get anything done?
As a lawyer, does Luigi bill by the minute?
Holy crap. He must have about $80K invested in this by now!
Old 08-20-2024 | 06:42 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Based on what I have read in your post, I believe my understanding of these matters exceeds yours, and based on my educational, professional and personal background, and what I can assume of yours, that is no surprise.

Parameters like BMI and neck circumference are NOT "contributing factors to OSA."
According to the Mayo Clinic, you are wrong. From their web site:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Obstructive sleep apnea

Factors that increase the risk of this form of sleep apnea include:
  • Excess weight. Obesity greatly increases the risk of OSA. Fat deposits around your upper airway can obstruct your breathing.
  • Neck circumference. People with thicker necks might have narrower airways.
  • A narrowed airway. You might have inherited a narrow throat. Tonsils or adenoids also can enlarge and block the airway, particularly in children.
  • Being male. Men are 2 to 3 times more likely to have sleep apnea than are women. However, women increase their risk if they're overweight or if they've gone through menopause.
  • Being older. Sleep apnea occurs significantly more often in older adults.
  • Family history. Having family members with sleep apnea might increase your risk.
  • Use of alcohol, sedatives or tranquilizers. These substances relax the muscles in your throat, which can worsen obstructive sleep apnea.
  • Smoking. Smokers are three times more likely to have obstructive sleep apnea than are people who've never smoked. Smoking can increase the amount of inflammation and fluid retention in the upper airway.
  • Nasal congestion. If you have trouble breathing through your nose — whether from an anatomical problem or allergies — you're more likely to develop obstructive sleep apnea.
  • Medical conditions. Congestive heart failure, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes are some of the conditions that may increase the risk of obstructive sleep apnea. Polycystic ovary syndrome, hormonal disorders, prior stroke and chronic lung diseases such as asthma also can increase risk.
------------------------------------------------------------------
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024 | 06:54 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by M_Weining
@Manifold Just pointing out the peterp supports an improvement but states that it can only happen at year end: That is not accurate based on other fixes / changes that have been made during the year.
Originally Posted by M_Weining
@peterp there was / is nothing preventing PCA from fixing the issue / making a change during the year as demonstrated with the 13/13 change (which even had a retroactive aspect to the fix / change).
Excellent point. Thanks for pointing out this example. Changes can of course be implemented any time if the governing body chooses to, but unlike the 13/13 rule that affects everybody and the behaviors in every race, this was never a burning issue. It only affects a one-time process, for a tiny subset of racers who have OSA. Additionally, the burden for those affected is also very small -- the data is trivially easy to generate, it doesn't disclose meaningful private information, and nobody else has complained about the data requirement (at least they haven't shown up in this thread if they have) even though the rule has been in place for many years. This is the hill you're going to die on with a "I won't race if you don't immediately eliminate the rule" stance????

It was never urgent. Although I've supported the right to question it, and have tried to provide feedback to help it be successful, I honestly don't even get the "mission" for such a tiny niche requirement. If the perception among the Club Racing community is that the overall medical process is too elaborate and difficult, it would have made a million times more sense to take a long time to put together a generalized case for simplifying the entire medical process using the other racing clubs as examples. That broader initiative potentially has merit (assuming the medical review is actually a widespread concern) -- but going after a niche requirement, with a very low hurdle, that only affects only a tiny sub-segment of the racer community, one time per year, is not urgent by any stretch of the imagination.

Whichever battle you want to take on (the broader one lobbying for a medical review more on par with peer racing organizations, or the tiny niche one), you don't take that on with a "change it immediately or I'm not racing" stance. Besides that, there have been many, many issues with the approach used, and that continues to be used, which is digging an even a deeper hole. Failing to be bluntly honest about the issues with the approach being used does nobody any favors, least of all the OP.
Old 08-20-2024 | 06:58 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nowanker
What?!
You didn't disclose your borderline OSA?!
Lying on your license application?!
No soup for you!

Thank God we're (relatively...) anonymous here.
Wasn't for a race license, but because my wife and primary thought it may be a good idea to just get evaluated. Given all that's happened here, I don't see many CR's voluntarily disclosing anything they don't have to.

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Great illustration of the complexities involved...

"Bottomline is that the confirmation or absence of my sleep apnea came down to how I was insured, if I'm on private insurance, I had sleep apnea, if on Medicare, I did not."

Is that your conclusion? Or is that something the HCP stated?

Dx "should" be free of any consideration of reimbursement or coverage, but murkiness can sometimes result from less than ideal communication.

Might be beneficial to understand differences between "standards of care," and things like "first line rx," and "second line rx."

And how those things may differ from coverage/reimbursement.

One of my college classmates runs Anthem, and I am suspect they have a range of coverage/reimbursement criteria for things like CPAP rx.

Lots of variables.
I thought my post was ultra clear, but if it wasn't, I specifically pointed out the distinction in my prognosis was based on which insurance I had, private vs. government and the HCP laughed and said, "unfortunately." There was no misunderstanding on differences of care.

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license