Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2024, 01:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
41k posts?

Death by 41k cuts?
Now that I have once again struck a nerve, please reply to all of your recent pompous 4000 word posts with more pompous 3000 word posts
The following users liked this post:
NastyHabits (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 01:09 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,472 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Not "prognosis," rather "diagnosis."

That is not how medicine works.
Again splitting hairs and you completely missed the point by a country mile. There was no prognosis because the diagnosis would have been no sleep apnea if on government health insurance as opposed to private health care. The facts of the sleep study were exactly the same, but the score was different based on who is paying the medical coverage. Now apply those facts if it was a test to secure a PCA racing license.
Meatball964 (08-22-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 01:17 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Again splitting hairs and you completely missed the point by a country mile. There was no prognosis because the diagnosis would have been no sleep apnea if on government health insurance as opposed to private health care. The facts of the sleep study were exactly the same, but the score was different based on who is paying the medical coverage. Now apply those facts if it was a test to secure a PCA racing license.

WRONG.

Medical diagnosis is NOT determined by coverage benefit determination.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:18 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Now that I have once again struck a nerve, please reply to all of your recent pompous 4000 word posts with more pompous 3000 word posts
No nerve struck.

Pompous? Really.

Sure, okay!
Old 08-21-2024, 01:23 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,472 Likes on 2,069 Posts

WRONG.

Medical diagnosis is NOT determined by coverage benefit determination.
Please elaberate. My score was a 4 with private insurance but a 3 if on Medicare.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:24 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

Mahler's Ninth Symphony is one of the longest ever composed; so for a fellow on RL to choose that as his name, we shouldn't be surprised at the length of his posts.

Having said that, I think we can agree that his business life has provided him significant opportunity to be educated far more than most on all matters of sleep issues and the physiology behind them; certainly far more than myself.

I would suggest, however, that getting into the minutia of OSA, while of course having significance in this matter overall, isn't the real issue here. The manner in which Todd was treated, and the rationales that National/CR used in the defense of their position(s), are the real substance of the 1800-plus postings on this thread, and what {most} of us are interested in.
The following 6 users liked this post by DKP 97 C2 Coupe:
dgrobs (08-21-2024), FunWithFiorio (08-22-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-21-2024), Mike Roblin (08-21-2024), mobius911 (08-21-2024), needmoregarage (08-21-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-21-2024, 01:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 990 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Mahler's Ninth Symphony is one of the longest ever composed; so for a fellow on RL to choose that as his name, we shouldn't be surprised at the length of his posts.
dgrobs - more learning! I learned new vocab and that Mahler was a composer with at least 9 symphonies. That qualifies him for a CPAP!
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
dgrobs (08-22-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 01:30 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
dgrobs - more learning! I learned new vocab and that Mahler was a composer with at least 9 symphonies. That qualifies him for a CPAP!
I've actually played it on the Piano. It's a gem. Right up there with Ludvigs 5th...
The following 3 users liked this post by dgrobs:
Matt Romanowski (08-21-2024), mlct (08-22-2024), needmoregarage (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 01:39 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DKP 97 C2 Coupe

Having said that, I think we can agree that his business life has provided him significant opportunity to be educated far more than most on all matters of sleep issues and the physiology behind them; certainly far more than myself.

I would suggest, however, that getting into the minutia of OSA, while of course having significance in this matter overall, isn't the real issue here. The manner in which Todd was treated, and the rationales that National/CR used in the defense of their position(s), are the real substance of the 1800-plus postings on this thread, and what {most} of us are interested in.

When the pandemic started, a bunch of well-meaning folks on another Porsche enthusiast social media platform's off topic forum started to speculate about crude and simple ways to create respirators for use in critical care settings. It was very interesting so I chimed in.

Eventually they figured out that what they were discussing made no sense.

One of the folks I met through that experience works in F1, and some might remember there were efforts by F1 professionals to manufacture medical devices to help minimize the impact of equipment shortages.

Of course the OP can come to his own conclusions about his recent sleep study. But I have encouraged him to learn more, based on what he has shared here.

And I can encourage others to be better informed in case it can help them or someone else they care about.

My posts are NOT really intended for the "regulars" that may wish to talk about Swedish fish, hookers and blow.

Or PCA versus the PCA.

Perhaps they can help others, like PCA/PCA CR personnel, including those in the medical profession, rethink what appears to be their foray to the edge of the weeds.

Or put another way, their walking to the edge of a can of worms in a rather perilous and likely unnecessary fashion.

Like I stated, perhaps such "reflection" was the result of eliminating urinalysis test results so many years ago.

According to the letter posted by the OP, PCA/PCA CR may be reviewing posts in this thread.

Mahler 9th... Von Karajan, Berliner.

Last edited by Mahler9th; 08-21-2024 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:43 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,206 Posts

According to the letter posted by the OP, PCA/PCA CR may be reviewing posts in this thread.
May be reviewing posts in this thread? Man, you are on your game today...
Veloce Raptor (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 02:00 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by multi21
Please elaberate. My score was a 4 with private insurance but a 3 if on Medicare.
Not sure what you mean by "score."

Anyway, here is a way to think about it:

Coverage decisions are made by CMS and private insurance companies, et cetera, based on a variety of factors.

As most here likely know, they can also be based on factors for an individual patient.

Diagnostic decisions are based on medical science, and of course factors for an individual patient.

So it is theoretically possible, for example for a patient to get a diagnosis of OSA, and a recommendation for CPAP rx based on a variety of factors including parameters measured in a sleep study, but have the patient's insurance provider decline coverage.

Or for example, if a patient gets dx, rx and coverage from one combination of HCPs and coverage providers, a different coverage provider may not provide coverage.

I just went through this with someone I know with OSA and CPAP. In her case, the new provider (Kaiser) "accepted" the rx from the HCPs that are not "in their system" and coverage will be provided.

Not sure what criteria they used, but happy with the result as the therapy is beneficial.

It is also possible for the dx criteria to vary amongst HCPs.

I think it can be a tangled mess for some conditions, even chronic ones like OSA.

One of the reasons that some CPAP machines have the ability to store and/or transmit data may be to ensure compliance for maintenance of coverage benefits.

See, e.g.,

https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-i...r-cpap-3015039

Last edited by Mahler9th; 08-21-2024 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 02:04 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dgrobs
May be reviewing posts in this thread? Man, you are on your game today...
Started working with corporate lawyers and biz execs at 18 years old at GE Healthcare.

Spent some time in litigation space as well.

Old 08-21-2024, 02:09 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,391 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Since you are writing for the PCA why don't you forget the minutiae about CPAP usage and turn your intellect toward whether requiring CPAP data actually improves safety.

Remember, there are diabetic club racers and we don't check their insulin levels. Remember that we don't require breathalizer tests for people who have stayed out late. Remember that we don't have a curfew. Remember that we do not require people to get out of their car in a short period of time in case it does on fire. Remember that we do not check safety gear for drivers after their first rookie inspection. Etc. etc, etc, etc,

I could go on and on, but remember, CPAP data is what is going to keep us safe.
mlct (08-22-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 02:10 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
#winningthroughbloviation

Hah ha!

#not winning through being (fill in blank)
Old 08-21-2024, 02:11 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 755 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Since you are writing for the PCA why don't you forget the minutiae about CPAP usage and turn your intellect toward whether requiring CPAP data actually improves safety.

Remember, there are diabetic club racers and we don't check their insulin levels. Remember that we don't require breathalizer tests for people who have stayed out late. Remember that we don't have a curfew. Remember that we do not require people to get out of their car in a short period of time in case it does on fire. Remember that we do not check safety gear for drivers after their first rookie inspection. Etc. etc, etc, etc,

I could go on and on, but remember, CPAP data is what is going to keep us safe.
Cannot keep you less safe.

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license