Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024 | 07:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by peterp
Excellent point. Thanks for pointing out this example. Changes can of course be implemented any time if the governing body chooses to, but unlike the 13/13 rule that affects everybody and the behaviors in every race, this was never a burning issue. It only affects a one-time process, for a tiny subset of racers who have OSA. Additionally, the burden for those affected is also very small -- the data is trivially easy to generate, it doesn't disclose meaningful private information, and nobody else has complained about the data requirement (at least they haven't shown up in this thread if they have) even though the rule has been in place for many years. This is the hill you're going to die on with a "I won't race if you don't immediately eliminate the rule" stance????

It was never urgent. Although I've supported the right to question it, and have tried to provide feedback to help it be successful, I honestly don't even get the "mission" for such a tiny niche requirement. If the perception among the Club Racing community is that the overall medical process is too elaborate and difficult, it would have made a million times more sense to take a long time to put together a generalized case for simplifying the entire medical process using the other racing clubs as examples. That broader initiative potentially has merit (assuming the medical review is actually a widespread concern) -- but going after a niche requirement, with a very low hurdle, that only affects only a tiny sub-segment of the racer community, one time per year, is not urgent by any stretch of the imagination.

Whichever battle you want to take on (the broader one lobbying for a medical review more on par with peer racing organizations, or the tiny niche one), you don't take that on with a "change it immediately or I'm not racing" stance. Besides that, there have been many, many issues with the approach used, and that continues to be used, which is digging an even a deeper hole. Failing to be bluntly honest about the issues with the approach being used does nobody any favors, least of all the OP.
That, 100%. I don't race, so the issue doesn't affect me unless there's spillover to DE. How PCA CR handles the medical clearance in general is worth discussing and possibly reforming, but if most club racers agree that such reform is needed, they should work together and constructively discuss the issue with PCA CR. Luigi should not be alone in working on that, and this RL thread is not an effective means to pursue such reform. The PCA CR people are more likely to listen if they're not called stupid or worse - by name! - in a public forum. Now we're in a place where they may be so pissed off that they won't even be open to such discussion, and I'm doubtful that further turning up the heat on them through this thread is unlikely to move them, but it is likely to continue to harm PCA.
Old 08-20-2024 | 07:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
You are now being an even bigger J**k.

I have NOT tried to diagnose you. Not in any way, shape or form.

YOU have tried to diagnose yourself.

Based on what I have read in your post, I believe my understanding of these matters exceeds yours, and based on my educational, professional and personal background, and what I can assume of yours, that is no surprise.

Parameters like BMI and neck circumference are NOT "contributing factors to OSA."

There are, in fact parameters that are considered by HCPs in determining diagnoses and or rx recommendations.

As I have stated before, a single AHI number from a single study MAY NOT be sufficient to determine whether CPAP rx is appropriate either initially or a continued basis.

When you incessantly insist otherwise in communications with PCA CR folk that are medical professionals, especially after all that has transpired, you may not be putting your best foot forward.

In fact you may look like a complete (expletive deleted).

You know better than me and I couldn't possibly understand by doing my own research. Did you also stay at a Holiday Inn Express?

If you were a doctor you would fit right in with the medical committee. You have the correct amount of hubris in the face of contrary information.

You have no idea of my background beyond what you have inferred and your inference would lead you down a wrong road.
Old 08-20-2024 | 07:19 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
You know better than me and I couldn't possibly understand by doing my own research. Did you also stay at a Holiday Inn Express?

If you were a doctor you would fit right in with the medical committee. You have the correct amount of hubris in the face of contrary information.

You have no idea of my background beyond what you have inferred and your inference would lead you down a wrong road.
Hubris.
I know that one (learned it on Rennlist a few threads back).
Old 08-20-2024 | 07:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Neck circumference and BMI are two components of risk stratifying OSA. The STOP BANG questionnaire is a commonly used tool for assessing whether a patient may have OSA.

The following users liked this post:
mlct (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024 | 08:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Coochas
Neck circumference and BMI are two components of risk stratifying OSA. The STOP BANG questionnaire is a commonly used tool for assessing whether a patient may have OSA.

Oh, here we go, Mr Holiday Inn Express last night Dr. Conchas
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
Coochas (08-20-2024), LuigiVampa (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024 | 08:33 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Man I love Rennlist. I learn so many things here! Who needs real doctors or lawyers when everyone here is such an expert in everything! Why have an actual doctor when the Rennlist self proclaimed experts who know better can diagnose me and provide medical advice for my health! And if I ever need a lawyer, why bother with a real one when I can get all my legal advice right here!!

What a wonderful time to be a Rennlist member!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following 4 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
Cyclman (08-28-2024), Gary R. (08-21-2024), GlenL (08-20-2024), LuigiVampa (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024 | 08:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
Man I love Rennlist. I learn so many things here! Who needs real doctors or lawyers when everyone here is such an expert in everything! Why have an actual doctor when the Rennlist self proclaimed experts who know better can diagnose me and provide medical advice for my health! And if I ever need a lawyer, why bother with a real one when I can get all my legal advice right here!!

What a wonderful time to be a Rennlist member!
Yup
Old 08-20-2024 | 08:43 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Yeah, like that guy is a doctor! How F-ing ridiculous would that be.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Coochas (08-20-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024 | 09:50 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
He's a doctor for mollusks?
Old 08-20-2024 | 09:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
He's a doctor for mollusks?
No I'm not GYN.
Old 08-20-2024 | 10:08 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
No I'm not GYN.
Different kind of Mollusk. Geesh.
You're thinking bearded clam.
I'm talking about a real Mollusk, the kind that move really slowly and are fun to eat.
Ok, so maybe not the best example….
The following 4 users liked this post by dgrobs:
Coochas (08-20-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-20-2024), mlct (08-21-2024), Nowanker (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024 | 01:31 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by winders
According to the Mayo Clinic, you are wrong. From their web site:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Obstructive sleep apnea

Factors that increase the risk of this form of sleep apnea include:
  • Excess weight. Obesity greatly increases the risk of OSA. Fat deposits around your upper airway can obstruct your breathing.
  • Neck circumference. People with thicker necks might have narrower airways.
  • A narrowed airway. You might have inherited a narrow throat. Tonsils or adenoids also can enlarge and block the airway, particularly in children.
  • Being male. Men are 2 to 3 times more likely to have sleep apnea than are women. However, women increase their risk if they're overweight or if they've gone through menopause.
  • Being older. Sleep apnea occurs significantly more often in older adults.
  • Family history. Having family members with sleep apnea might increase your risk.
  • Use of alcohol, sedatives or tranquilizers. These substances relax the muscles in your throat, which can worsen obstructive sleep apnea.
  • Smoking. Smokers are three times more likely to have obstructive sleep apnea than are people who've never smoked. Smoking can increase the amount of inflammation and fluid retention in the upper airway.
  • Nasal congestion. If you have trouble breathing through your nose — whether from an anatomical problem or allergies — you're more likely to develop obstructive sleep apnea.
  • Medical conditions. Congestive heart failure, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes are some of the conditions that may increase the risk of obstructive sleep apnea. Polycystic ovary syndrome, hormonal disorders, prior stroke and chronic lung diseases such as asthma also can increase risk.
------------------------------------------------------------------

No... sorry Winders. You are mistaken.

We call these things "risk factors."

Most or some (or perhaps even all) of these might NOT be considered just for dx-- they may have an effect on recommended rx.

So it is possible that with a sleep test AHI of 8, a sleep test pRDI of 14.4, a neck circumference of > 17, and a BMI of 34, a "sleep doctor" might still recommend CPAP as a first line therapy. Especially so if there are other health factors like previous test results, highly fluctuating patient weight, et cetera.

Notice I stated that they (some, most or maybe all) might be considered in the rx recommendation process, NOT that they are "automatically" considered.

The test result in this thread appears also to be from a split test, and that MAY be another factor considered in the recommended rx.

This might mean that the AHI number is reported from the portion where the patient was on CPAP, and the CPAP rx was titrated down to the suggested numbers to achieve the AHI score of 8.

I don't believe that this test was ordered to attempt to "prove" that CPAP is no longer required.

Last edited by Mahler9th; 08-21-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2024 | 01:35 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by multi21
Wasn't for a race license, but because my wife and primary thought it may be a good idea to just get evaluated. Given all that's happened here, I don't see many CR's voluntarily disclosing anything they don't have to.

I thought my post was ultra clear, but if it wasn't, I specifically pointed out the distinction in my prognosis was based on which insurance I had, private vs. government and the HCP laughed and said, "unfortunately." There was no misunderstanding on differences of care.

Not "prognosis," rather "diagnosis."

That is not how medicine works.
Old 08-21-2024 | 06:08 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
No... sorry Winders. You are mistaken.

We call these things "risk factors."
Give me a break. You are splitting hairs at best and are being disingenuous at worst. Look here:

https://www.health.ny.gov/statistics/chac/glossary.htm

They say:

Contributing Factors (Direct and Indirect): Those factors that, directly or indirectly, influence the level of a risk factor (determinant). A risk factor (causative factor) that is associated with the level of a determinant. Direct contributing factors are linked with the level of determinants; indirect contributing factors are linked with the level of direct contributing factors.

Risk Factors: See Determinants. A factor associated with the occurrence of disease. This is an association and not necessarily causal. A behavior or condition that, on the basis of scientific evidence or theory, is thought to influence susceptibility to a specific health problem.

Determinants (or Risk Factors): Direct causes and risk factors which, based on scientific evidence or theory, are thought to influence directly the level of a specific health problem. Broad causal factors involved in influencing health and illness, including social, economic, genetic, perinatal, nutritional, behavioral, and environmental characteristics. A primary risk factor (causative factor) associated with the level of health problem: i.e., the level of the determinant influences the level of the health problem.

Even this group interlinks "contributing factors" and "risk factors" so closely they say that a "contributing factor" can be defined as "A risk factor (causative factor) that is associated with the level of a determinant."

The following 2 users liked this post by winders:
LuigiVampa (08-21-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024 | 06:41 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Ok, so this thread is now in second place with 138,338 views behind "So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?" with 209, 670 views... just want to keep y'all informed.

The following 5 users liked this post by Gary R.:
LuigiVampa (08-21-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-21-2024), mlct (08-21-2024), mobius911 (08-21-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-21-2024)

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license