PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024, 05:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,391 Likes on 1,927 Posts

Originally Posted by andredl
Sir, all of that is obvious. It is also the only shot they had. Decide if you are going to walk away, or dust yourself off and figure out the long game.
The long game is to get rid of the rot at the top of PCA and effectuate change.
The following users liked this post:
tgsmith4845 (08-20-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 05:52 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 662 Posts

@dgrobs (I bet this one you could figure out all by yourself! )

effectuate /ĭ-fĕk′choo͞-āt″/

transitive verb

1. To bring about; effect.
  2. To bring to pass; to effect; to achieve; to accomplish; to fulfill.
    Similar: effectuated

verb

1. To be the cause of something.
Old 08-19-2024, 05:56 PM
andredl
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
The long game is to get rid of the rot at the top of PCA and effectuate change.
Luck favors the prepared.
Old 08-19-2024, 05:57 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
@dgrobs (I bet this one you could figure out all by yourself! )

effectuate /ĭ-fĕk′choo͞-āt″/

transitive verb

1. To bring about; effect.
  2. To bring to pass; to effect; to achieve; to accomplish; to fulfill.
    Similar: effectuated

verb

1. To be the cause of something.
That's "Bloviated"?

I know what effectuate is. Thanks, was looking for bloviated.

Last edited by dgrobs; 08-19-2024 at 05:58 PM.
mlct (08-20-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 06:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
That's "Bloviated"?

Its how you feel after eating too much.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
dgrobs (08-19-2024), needmoregarage (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 06:06 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
That's "Bloviated"?

My post was tongue-in-cheek

here ya go

bloviate /blō′vē-āt″/

intransitive verb

1. To discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner.
  2. To orate pompously; -- used especially of politicians and news commentators.

verb

1. To speak or discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner.
Old 08-19-2024, 06:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Its how you feel after eating too much.
Wise ***...
LuigiVampa (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 06:08 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
My post was tongue-in-cheek

here ya go

bloviate /blō′vē-āt″/

intransitive verb

1. To discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner.
  2. To orate pompously; -- used especially of politicians and news commentators.

verb

1. To speak or discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner.
Ah yes, that makes more sense. Eating too much....pfft.
needmoregarage (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 06:11 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not clear on what "luck" has to do with any of this, or how Todd "isn't prepared"...?
Old 08-19-2024, 06:12 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 770 Likes on 466 Posts

I've been curious about the PCA since buying a 911 with PCA stickers in the back windows. 10 years of active duty taught me that my personality does not follow rules well, and I can see now that I need to remove those stickers... I have the same issues with this thread - Todd was wronged, PCA CR was wronged, and now, we are wronging each other. Is there value in continuing to dig at this wound? Or, is there interest in setting aside individual character and talking about fixing something ya'll once cared about?
Why would you deprive yourself? Even those who agree with Luigi will tell you that the PCA is an amazing club with great people and a huge variety of amazing events. The only way this would affect your PCA experience is if you want to club race, and have OSA, and refuse to provide CPAP data. It is not in any way reflective of the general PCA experience and it's difficult to think of anything that is more niche and "one-off" than this issue.

Luigi was never wronged or singled out. PCA has required CPAP data for those with OSA for many years. Other racers have complied with the rule and had no issue with it (at least one posted as much in this thread). I don't think anybody else, who actually has OSA, has objected to the rule in this thread. That compliance is not surprising because it is trivially easy to provide the CPAP data and doesn't reveal any meaningful private information. It's also not surprising because those with non-trivial OSA know the impact of not using CPAP first-hand (versus the "armchair doctors" in this thread who think OSA is the equivalent of not getting enough sleep, which is objectively wrong).

Luigi was not singled out. He wanted an exception to a longstanding rule. PCA actually offered Luigi an exception to the rule, as long as he did not disclose it publicly. He refused that offer because he wanted it to be public. So Luigi would not take "yes" for an answer. In response to his refusal, PCA said they would not give him an exception publicly. In other words, his question was asked, considered carefully, and answered in a timely fashion a very long time ago. The only reason it has dragged on is because he refused to accept either "yes" or "no" as an answer.

The reasons why the PCA would not give him a public exception should be glaringly obvious. First, giving him a give him an exception publicly would likely **** off all of those did submit data. Second, any organization that willfully violates its own rules creates immense legal liability when previously it had none. I can't believe I have to spell this out -- Boeing's liability isn't because a door plug fell off the plane (sometimes unexpected things happen) -- they are being sued, and will almost certainly lose, because they did not follow their own rules that would have prevented the door plug from ever falling off. Willfully violating your own rules is a lightning rod for liability -- why would PCA ever agree to having an exception to their own rules broadly broadcast to the public (especially considering that the reach of this thread is far beyond just PCA and RL at this point)????

When you refuse to accept either a "yes" or a "no" answer from an organization, the organization is not the problem.

Last edited by peterp; 08-19-2024 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 06:16 PM
CaymanR99
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Alternately -

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
Old 08-19-2024, 06:22 PM
andredl
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DKP 97 C2 Coupe
I'm not clear on what "luck" has to do with any of this, or how Todd "isn't prepared"...?
Because saying "good luck" implies no need for action.
Old 08-19-2024, 06:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,472 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanR99
Alternately -

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
Alternately, the harder I work (or prepare), the luckier I get.

- Samuel Goldwyn
stownsen914 (08-20-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 06:36 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterp
Why would you deprive yourself? Even those who agree with Luigi will tell you that the PCA is an amazing club with great people and a huge variety of amazing events. The only way this would affect your PCA experience is if you want to club race, and have OSA, and refuse to provide CPAP data. It is not in any way reflective of the general PCA experience and it's difficult to think of anything that is more niche and "one-off" than this issue.

Luigi was never wronged or singled out. PCA has required CPAP data for those with OSA for many years. Other racers have complied with the rule and had no issue with it (at least one posted as much in this thread). I don't think anybody else, who actually has OSA, has objected to the rule in this thread. That compliance is not surprising because it is trivially easy to provide the CPAP data and doesn't reveal any meaningful private information. It's also not surprising because those with non-trivial OSA know the impact of not using CPAP first-hand (versus the "armchair doctors" in this thread who think OSA is the equivalent of not getting enough sleep, which is objectively wrong).

Luigi was not singled out. He wanted an exception to a longstanding rule. PCA actually offered Luigi an exception to the rule, as long as he did not disclose it publicly. He refused that offer because he wanted it to be public. So Luigi would not take "yes" for an answer. In response to his refusal, PCA said they would not give him an exception publicly. In other words, his question was asked, considered carefully, and answered in a timely fashion a very long time ago. The only reason it has dragged on is because he refused to accept either "yes" or "no" as an answer.

The reasons why the PCA would not give him a public exception should be glaringly obvious. First, giving him a give him an exception publicly would likely **** off all of those did submit data. Second, any organization that willfully violates its own rules creates immense legal liability when previously it had none. I can't believe I have to spell this out -- Boeing's liability isn't because a door plug fell off the plane (sometimes unexpected things happen) -- they are being sued, and will almost certainly lose, because they did not follow their own rules that would have prevented the door plug from ever falling off. Willfully violating your own rules is a lightning rod for liability -- why would PCA ever agree to having an exception to their own rules broadly broadcast to the public (especially considering that the reach of this thread is far beyond just PCA and RL at this point)????

When you refuse to accept either a "yes" or a "no" answer from an organization, the organization is not the problem.
Oh my…
Matt Romanowski (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 06:43 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I have to thank peterp for helping me lose weight. I read his posts and immediately throw up.
The following 8 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
FunWithFiorio (08-19-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-19-2024), mlct (08-20-2024), needmoregarage (08-19-2024), Nowanker (08-19-2024), RobT 394 (08-19-2024), stownsen914 (08-20-2024), thebishman (08-19-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license