Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why I stopped Instructing at DE events

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 02:10 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 501 Posts

Greenie here about to do his second PCA event next weekend. Dealer I purchased my car from ripped me off for $187 (with the PCA discount) for my tech inspection for my first event (plus $200 for brake flush, overpriced but at least there was a tangible service). I couldn't make the club inspection associated with the event. Same for my upcoming event, but I'm going to a motorsports heavy indy (Provost) for my tech on Friday. Happy to pay them and they will likely become my regular service place. Dealer has lost my business for all future purchases and service.

WRT the theme that started the thread, I think it's important to enter this sport very humble and in a learning mindset, even if you're a big deal in some other sport, profession, etc. I watch a lot of track video and do a lot of reading. You have to recognize that you are responsible for the life and health of the human being in the right seat. He/she has a family, a job, and hopes and dreams and is doing this largely out of love for the sport. I want to go sequentially faster but at the end of the day, I want to make sure that I, the instructor, and the car all make it home in one piece. As I progress a little further, I will drop coin on safety before I drop coin on speed. My first weekend (Schattenbaum@NJMP THunderbolt) couldn't have been better. Superb instructor and I was welcomed by guys who have been doing this for decades. I think my instructor had a good weekend as well along the lines of what dgrobs posted above.

Last edited by ldamelio; 06-09-2021 at 02:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ldamelio:
cbracerx (08-29-2022), ProCoach (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:17 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Greenie here about to do his second PCA event next weekend. Dealer I purchased my car from ripped me off for $187 (with the PCA discount) for my tech inspection for my first event (plus $200 for brake flush, overpriced but at least there was a tangible service). I couldn't make the club inspection associated with the event. Same for my upcoming event, but I'm going to a motorsports heavy indy (Provost) for my tech on Friday. Happy to pay them and they will likely become my regular service place. Dealer has lost my business for all future purchases and service.

WRT the theme that started the thread, I think it's important to enter this sport very humble and in a learning mindset, even if you're a big deal in some other sport, profession, etc. I watch a lot of track video and do a lot of reading. I want to go sequentially faster but at the end of the day, I want to make sure that I, the instructor, and the car all make it home in one piece. As I progress a little further, I will drop coin on safety before I drop coin on speed. My first weekend (Schattenbaum@NJMP THunderbolt) couldn't have been better. Superb instructor and I was welcomed by guys who have been doing this for decades. I think my instructor had a good weekend as well along the lines of what dgrobs posted above.
If you listen and implement what your instructor is telling you, you will do just fine. You are clearly teachable and you def have the correct mindset for learning.

What is your 2nd event? RTR 3 days at Lightning? I will be there but running in black and not instructing, but if that is your next event, I will be happy to stop over and say hi.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:32 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 501 Posts

That is indeed my next event; Saturday and Sunday. #82 718 Cayman S, agate grey, will have noobie yellow 3M tape on headlights. Look forward to meeting you.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:38 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ldamelio
That is indeed my next event; Saturday and Sunday. #82 718 Cayman S, agate grey, will have noobie yellow 3M tape on headlights. Look forward to meeting you.
I will find you. I'll be trailering my 981S Cayman S white, # 694.

Shoot me a pm with your name and cell and I'll do the same back.

Who is your instructor for the 3 days?

The following users liked this post:
CodyBigdog (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 03:47 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I gotta bust chops here because I know you...

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Spot on.

I am now in the right seat as I started instructing this season, and I have been blessed with nothing but students who listen and learn so far.

Had a wonderful newbie green student at the Niagara DE at The Glen last week and he was in a 911 and it wasn't a vintage car, it was a fast 911.

#1>>> I can't really find the words to describe how rewarding it was for me (and my student), when something finally clicked and I saw the bulb light up in the student's eyes.

#2>>> That is the reason I am instructing. Not for discounts on reg fees, not for free reg fees and other perks, and not for the fact I can now say "I am great because I am an instructor". Couldn't care less about those things.

#3>>> I became an instructor so I could give back, plain and simple. For all the instructors that have been in my right seat over the years, you are the reasons that I became an instructor, period!! You did for me, so I do for others. That's it. Really is that simple.

I am not looking forward to the day that my student is a 22 year old hot shot who's never been on track who's daddy just bought him a brand new Viper as a graduation present.

I will deal with that student the way I was taught to. Real his *** in if he gets out of control. Make him understand why we are on the track, and that IS NOT to see how fast your new Viper can go.

I made a promise to family, and that's why I am allowed (sort of) to be on track as much as I am. I promised them I would not die on a racetrack. I have every intention of honoring that promise and keeping my word.

At the beginning for me back when I was a greenie, I remember a couple instructors who were clearly instructing to get the free track time.
I didn't say anything, just did my laps and hoped for better next time. The next instructor was always better.
This only happened a couple times, but there are def some instructors out there who couldn't care less about the student, just the discounted or free track time.
I will NEVER be one of those instructors. Never Ever!! Thankfully, those instructors are few and very far between. Thankfully.

REPEAT of #3>>> I am doing this to give back, and that's it. For all those selfless instructors who really cared when they were in my right seat, you were the motivation. You still are the motivation. You are why I am instructing.
REPEAT of #2>>> Not the track time, not the ego boost. Just want to give back. If my student can leave a DE a better driver than when he arrived, and I am part of the reason that happens, that's all I need and that's all I want.
REPEAT of #1>>> The reward I get is seeing that bulb light up when the student finally "gets it". To me, that is worth more than any amount of discounted or free track time.

I left that Niagara DE with a smile that you couldn't whack off my face with a hammer.
The student listened.
The student learned.
The student left The Glen a better driver than when he arrived.
That's my only reward, and I flat out love the feeling I get when the student gets it.
Little by little, but finally gets it.

That is why I instruct, period!!
Same reason why I was a ski instructor back in the day.
When the student gets it, I get it too.
Can't put a price on that.

That is why I instruct.

OK that's all. My one and only post in this thread.

Carry on..........
You like to repeat yourself... All in good fun Bruce...

I didn't know you were also a ski hack (instructor) you certainly ski well enough

Humpty out...
Old 06-09-2021, 03:53 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
I gotta bust chops here because I know you...

You like to repeat yourself... All in good fun Bruce...

I didn't know you were also a ski hack (instructor) you certainly ski well enough

Humpty out...
LOL.....

Yes, I have to repeat myself often. This is Rennlist. Most here don't listen so I have to say things twice, like Jimmy Two Times. "Gonna get the papers....get the papers"......

I'm having board dyslexia. Humpty, really?

Humpty...killing me. You put a smile on my face for the first time all day. Thanks for that.

How did you not know I was a ski instructor? We skied and hung at the same resort for what, about 30 years? LOL, either you're getting old or I'm getting senile.

Also, you owe me a text.....
Old 06-09-2021, 06:32 PM
waltersafety
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I raced many years ago but just got my first Porsche 3 years ago . I was shocked at the speeds in DE but the instructors all let me run fast . However having had a few heavy wrecks back in the day I can say for sure most students have no idea how violent a wreck is.

My takeaway is I'm not comfortable at those speeds in a street car any longer, and I am actively hunting for a race car . But that is just to deal with the physics of a wreck .

I think a bigger problem is the speed with relatively little seat time to get signed off solo . Indeed most of the DE accidents I've seen were solo drivers for less than 20 days DE . It shows when you talk to them, some think they are fast with no concept of what nannies and tires have done for drivers over the last 10 years . Expecting they can handle two wheels off is a stretch.
The following 2 users liked this post by waltersafety:
esscape26 (06-11-2021), John Fleitz (06-10-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 07:35 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 957 Posts

Local SoCal PCA clubs for our HPDE have a long, very long list of free tech inspections from INDY shops. And, we will tech your car at track if you need. Not encouraged but we will do that if needed. Sh_t happens and we want to encourage newbie to come visit track and learn car control in a safe environment.

The following 3 users liked this post by 996AE:
dgrobs (06-09-2021), ldamelio (06-09-2021), MattUF (06-13-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 08:31 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,374 Likes on 596 Posts

A couple comments to clarify regarding Allegheny (ARPCA):

- we don’t do event “tech days”. We accept your completed, stamped VSI form from authorized Porsche or independent automotive repair shops. We get plenty of drivers from out of area who wouldn’t be local to our sponsored shops.

- in my experience the dealer charges under $100 for the tech inspection but obviously it varies. Ask before you go. Tell them what you want done (and why) and get their price. Shop around till you find someone agreeable. But remember - it’s for YOUR safety, and everyone with whom you share the track. Cutting corners on inspections makes no sense, and this hobby, which we all love, is also done safely on the “honor” system. I care about my safety, and those around me. I show up with a safe car. PERIOD.

- We (ARPCA) learned the hard way about tow hooks. There was a time they weren’t required. Then someone had an “off”, and didn’t have a tow hook on the car (or in the car) and it took far longer to rectify than necessary. And lots of people lost significant track time. True - we are NOT racing. No dispute there. But “stuff” happens, whether mechanical, or over-cooking a corner, or whatever, and people end up off the track and sometimes need a tow. Having a tow hook pre-installed saves an enormous amount of time and benefits everyone who spent good money to be there and enjoy every minute of track time to which they are entitled. So now we require tow hooks. Porsches come with a tow hook (not all cars do). After market tow hooks are relatively inexpensive and can be used over the life of the car (assuming it’s of substantial quality). It’s a minor expense, and considering the cost of track rental, we think it’s a reasonable requirement to ensure the track may be cleared quickly and efficiently and it benefits every driver.

PS - in 2019 we had a driver who bought a new expensive American street/track car. He was enormously annoyed that his car didn’t come with a tow hook and we required one to participate. He was going to cancel. Then our Chief Instructor took two seconds to search and found a reasonably priced hook ($75) that would work. REALLY? You buy a $80K+ car and are going to spend $500+ on registration, plus hotel, meals, fuel, tires, brakes, etc….and you don’t want to spend a few more bucks on a required item like a tow hook?

- I became an instructor to give people the experience I received from my first instructors. They were patient and wonderful and encouraging and I WANTED to come back to the track. I know I made every newbie mistake possible and if not for their kindness I would have left never to return. I wanted to make sure other newbies had the same wonderful experience that I received. My favorite students were always first-timers. Now I’ve shifted focus and spend more time training instructors which is also very gratifying. I still have people come up to me and introduce me to their friends as their “first instructor”. I don’t always remember them (there have been a LOT) but they always remember me. That’s the biggest compliment I could ever receive. And now some of them are instructors which makes me feel great. They want to give back, just like I did. And the cycle continues.

And as bgrobs and others said, it’s the reward of seeing them connect the dots. It has nothing to do with free/reduced track time. And in reality, instructors often sacrifice significant track time of their own to spend more time debriefing (which is why ARPCA offers Friday as an advanced solo lapping (ASL) day that began as a very reasonably priced ‘thank-you” to instructors and is also available to approved solo drivers who are not instructors. It usually sells-out, and we have a blast and drive to our hearts content. When we are giving up our track time for our students the rest of the weekend, it’s not as important because we drove so much on Friday (for those able to join on Friday).

- there are plenty of folks who have given back to the community in many ways, whether taking a region position, or instructing, or volunteering in other ways. I would never presume to judge someone who opts out of instructing, or volunteering. The risks are real and everyone must do what is best for them. And our situations evolve. I was willing to do things 10 years ago that are no longer acceptable (in terms of personal risk). Stuff happens. Times change. People evolve through life phases.

Thanks to all who give to the sport in their own way. It’s added a tremendous dimension to my life in terms of friendships and experiences that I wouldn’t trade for anything. I’m forever grateful to have the opportunities. I also volunteer as part of the HPDE Committee. My husband will tell you that I’ve spent countless hours on the various tasks, but I enjoy it (mostly) and have gotten a lot from the club and want to give back.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 06-09-2021 at 09:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (06-10-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 08:43 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Love the tow hook idea

Blue tape numbers and a hook

Newbie is ready to race!

Old 06-09-2021, 09:00 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996AE
Love the tow hook idea

Blue tape numbers and a hook

Newbie is ready to race!
Allegheny Region (ARPCA) provides number decals to all drivers. We like the uniformity of the numbers, and for newbies it takes one “worry” out of the equation. It has worked very well over the years.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:02 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Damn, our region needs to get its act together!

Our newbies, 35 of the 70 registered at our last event loved their painters tape.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:05 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996AE
Damn, our region needs to get its act together!

Our newbies, 35 of the 70 registered at our last event loved their painters tape.
I will say that painters tape numbers provide a certain “je ne sais quoi”
The following 2 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
996AE (06-09-2021), ProCoach (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:47 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by roadie13
Regarding instructor shortage (at least of the good kind): I am a little surprised that PCA charges instructors for attending driving events, when all other car clubs and organizations that I know in the Northeast waive the attendance fee. The PCA instructor fee is reduced but still nonzero. It keeps the attendance fee for the other drivers slightly lower, of course, but it is still an oddity (not even the Ferrari club does that ).

I don't think it actually makes a big difference, but it is still odd.
I received an email from PCA yesterday looking for instructors at an upcoming event. The carrot was all track fees would be refunded after the event for instructors helping out.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 884 Likes on 544 Posts

I know you don't get a spare anymore, but they don't even include a tow hook anymore?

Quick Reply: This is why I stopped Instructing at DE events