Sponsored by:

This is why I stopped Instructing at DE events

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 11:03 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
This coaching method doesn’t just “work for me”. It’s worked for tens of thousands of drivers, including countless national champions. Additionally, there’s no way to right seat coach in a Formula Ford, Spec Racer Ford, etc. There’s definitely differences between getting professional instruction vs. amateur instruction. Oftentimes, you get what you pay for. The professional coaches I’ve had never sat in the car with me (except on a skid pad a long time ago). They observe drivers on the track, analyze data, watch in-car video and coach in the paddock. My point is that the same can be done (very safely) at DEs.
You're muddying the waters by changing the information. We're not comparing amateur vs professional instruction. That's a separate kettle of fish. You're also making a GRAND assumption that out of car instruction has worked for "countless national champions" (in racing organizations that go un-named) without giving any specific information. Are you saying these "countless national champions" (in series never named) have never had in-car instruction? Assuredly not. Do you know these people first hand and can name 20 of them? Im curious...
Old 06-09-2021, 11:05 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Apples and oranges. Figure it out guys.

Edit: 177 beat me to it, but yes, 2 very different things. Pros vs Green run group DE.

Not the same.

You guys are funny sometimes. Sometimes.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:07 AM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Received 293 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
You're muddying the waters by changing the information. We're not comparing amateur vs professional instruction. That's a separate kettle of fish. You're also making a GRAND assumption that out of car instruction has worked for "countless national champions" (in racing organizations that go un-named) without giving any specific information. Are you saying these "countless national champions" (in series never named) have never had in-car instruction? Assuredly not. Do you know these people first hand and can name 20 of them? Im curious...
https://www.skipbarber.com/tag/skip-barber-alumni/
Old 06-09-2021, 11:07 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Oh man...............
Old 06-09-2021, 11:19 AM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
So wait, for any, and every DE event that I attend, I have to go to my dealership, and pay them to do a thorough inspection on my new car?
Originally Posted by dgrobs
Yes, and with good reason.

If you have an Indy you use, they should do the tech sheet no charge.

Dealer would be my last choice for a tech inspection due to the $$, but as a last resort, yes.

You need to do a tech form for every PCA DE that you do. Most regions offer a free tech "get together" about 2 weeks prior to each event, and that is no charge, and you get to hang out with your PCA track buddies for an hour or so.

Don't show up to a PCA DE without your tech sheet. Could be a problem.....
I have never been charged for a tech inspection. Independent shops do this service as part of the hobby and passion. Hopefully, you bring your car to them when you need help and give them your business. Many of my local regions approved tech inspections attend events and are more than happy to offer advice and assistance. It's a great group of people.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,982 Likes on 1,750 Posts

Oh man...............
Hey, it's Rennlist!

Thread's gotta go four-wheels-off, sometime...

Just as long as the thread doesn't crash and burn!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
Gary R. (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 11:24 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Yes, and with good reason.

If you have an Indy you use, they should do the tech sheet no charge.

Dealer would be my last choice for a tech inspection due to the $$, but as a last resort, yes.

You need to do a tech form for every PCA DE that you do. Most regions offer a free tech "get together" about 2 weeks prior to each event, and that is no charge, and you get to hang out with your PCA track buddies for an hour or so.

Don't show up to a PCA DE without your tech sheet. Could be a problem.....
Good to know. Don’t have an Indy. New car still under warranty. The “free tech get together” is prob the way I will go. Thx.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:29 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Good to know. Don’t have an Indy. New car still under warranty. The “free tech get together” is prob the way I will go. Thx.
100%

Find out when your region's tech event is for the DE you're registered for, go there and get your car teched (bring your tech form with you) and you're done.

Have fun and be safe.........
Old 06-09-2021, 11:30 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Locker537
I have never been charged for a tech inspection. Independent shops do this service as part of the hobby and passion. Hopefully, you bring your car to them when you need help and give them your business. Many of my local regions approved tech inspections attend events and are more than happy to offer advice and assistance. It's a great group of people.
Would/should my local PCA chapter have a list of Indy’s (in my area) that they would suggest/approve...if I went that rout?

As an aside, looking at the inspection items on the PCA safety list, I’m surprised that anybody would do it for $0 ? I get the idea that they would do this, gratis, in the hopes of getting your business down the road, but in the case of someone with a new car, that will be under warranty for many years...they could have a long wait? Not sure that is a good business model?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 06-09-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:32 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Locker537
Being a top independent shop is a tough business, especially if the shop has to rely on those occurrences when "hopefully, you bring your car to them when you need help and give them your business."

Sure, a fair number of independents do it for free. When I ran my shop for twenty-five years, we did it as a service for our regular customers, not as a "hook" or "hope."

But a lot of those "free" inspections are merely cursory glances, compared to the depth and detail of what a true, thorough technical inspection should be...

The more you track, the more you appreciate the folks that really take the time to do it right. Your safety ultimately depends on it, especially as the car ages...
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
cbracerx (08-29-2022), Locker537 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 11:32 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Would my local PCA chapter have a list of Indy’s (in my area) that they would suggest/approve?

As an aside, looking at the inspection items on the PCA safety list, I’m surprised that anybody would do it for $0 ? I get the idea that they would do this, gratis, in the hopes of getting your business down the road, but in the case of someone with a new car, that will be under warranty for many years...they could have a long wait? Not sure that is a good business model?
1) Yes, check their website for Indy's and locations.....

2) No wait at your regions tech event............. (not really sure what you are asking here, but it's not relevant if you use your regions tech event, so just do that...easy peasy).
Old 06-09-2021, 11:39 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

1) Yes, check their website for Indy's and locations.....

2) No wait at your regions tech event............. (not really sure what you are asking here, but it's not relevant if you use your regions tech event, so just do that...easy peasy).
Thx.

Someone (earlier) mentioned using an Indy.

The only issue I could have is being available when they have the “tech event”. If i am available on the day they have it, then yes, going to that event would be a no-brainer.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thx.

Someone (earlier) mentioned using an Indy.

The only issue I could have is being available when they have the “tech event”. If i am available on the day they have it, then yes, going to that event would be a no-brainer.
The nice thing about some regions having a "tech event" is that they combine it with track prep specific briefings and education, plus you get to meet all the other active trackers, too.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 12:08 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 102 Posts

That page doesn't actually list the alumni.

This one does;

https://www.skipbarber.com/about/

Old 06-09-2021, 01:06 PM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Being a top independent shop is a tough business, especially if the shop has to rely on those occurrences when "hopefully, you bring your car to them when you need help and give them your business."

Sure, a fair number of independents do it for free. When I ran my shop for twenty-five years, we did it as a service for our regular customers, not as a "hook" or "hope."

But a lot of those "free" inspections are merely cursory glances, compared to the depth and detail of what a true, thorough technical inspection should be...

The more you track, the more you appreciate the folks that really take the time to do it right. Your safety ultimately depends on it, especially as the car ages...
Thanks for sharing your perspective. I've offered to pay more than once and this is not something I take for granted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Locker537:
NYoutftr (06-09-2021), ProCoach (06-09-2021)

Quick Reply: This is why I stopped Instructing at DE events