Notices

New version of Porsche Track Precision available!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 12:59 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

it seems pretty cool but not sure I would pay for an additional device when my Porsche app is free.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

JohnSopa: did you figure out the overlay? I spent quite a bit of time on it and could not figure it out. I have a PC and iPhone 6. The only videos that showed up when I clicked "External" in the app were the ones the phone knows as Videos (not Movies). Using iTunes, I got an external video on the phone (from my rear-facing dash cam) as a "Movie" and could not get it to show up in the regular Photo place as a Video. In another attempt, in iTunes I uploaded the external video into the track precision app via the "add file" method, but could not select it.

But, I did not have any issues with synching of the overlays within the app itself - speed is in MPH and the brake pedal "filled up" with more pressure on the pedal.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

I have GoPro 3s -- pretty old. It looks like the app wants the gopro to connect to the car WiFi network so it can trigger it at the right time.

I thought I could add the external video afterwards and sync it manually but I can't get that to work, either. I am going to try a few more things today.

My stuff is still in KM. How did you get converted to MPH?

My brake pedal is filling more. I must not have been using enough pressure on the street.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:16 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnsopa
My stuff is still in KM. How did you get converted to MPH?
I do not recall ever doing anything. I believe mine has been in MPH from the beginning.

Re: the second video...I went to the app store to make sure I had the latest (which I did). I was reading the blurb there and, although it did not say this explicitly, I was wondering if the video overlay capability was only available on the iPad. Based on your theory though, of wanting to have the video live, that would not be the case.

Editorial comment: i hate iTunes on windows.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
I do not recall ever doing anything. I believe mine has been in MPH from the beginning.
The KM or MPH is picked up from your car setup. The iPhone app will detect what setting is for your car and adjust after connecting. This is noted in the FAQ within the app and is my experience. It seems that the app defaults to KM but will switch to display MPH once synced. See note below... Without confirming by opening up the DB file, I believe it always records KM but shows MPH via math conversion for display.

IPad note: It is nice that they thought to create an iPad app variant that supports AirDrop for offloading and review... But be aware that iPad version has more bugs than I can begin to list here, and it does NOT convert from KM to MPH with file transfer, nor if I try to sync the IPad to the car. The iPhone version is much more reliable even when attempting to conduct the same analysis. As such I believe, the DB logs KM. The iPad variant shows a lot of promise, but almost unusable at this point.

Also note once the car connects to one device any previous will not work until eliminated and reconnected. I attempted the KM to MPH by syncing my iPad, but then had to remove and reconnect my iPhone to log again. Thought it was worth a try.

I welcome the opportunity to help again if Porsche allows their developers to reach out like they to did before when I helped to detail iPhone bug experiences and paths to avoid creation.

Sorry for not chiming in more, but the iPhone app is quite powerful now. The iPad variant needs tons of work, or just let it go back to the iPhone version that is much more stable when conducting overlay or any analysis for that matter. Otherwise, I recommend dumping VBO file and video to review with RaceLogic Circuit Tools on a laptop for analysis.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:11 PM
DEO92
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What are the icons around the G-meter?

Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere but I have't been able to find anything. I used the app for the first time this week (GT4, Lime Rock Park). I didn't have ay problems and got good video and data. I'm just trying to figure out what the is the meaning/purpose four little icons surrounding the g-meter in the video playback. Two of them are wheel images, and two appear to be understeer and oversteer graphics, but I can't figure out why they are there, whether they are meant to switch out the g-meter in the playback for some of the other data that's available, etc.?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2018, 11:34 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DEO92
Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere but I have't been able to find anything. I used the app for the first time this week (GT4, Lime Rock Park). I didn't have any problems and got good video and data. I'm just trying to figure out what the is the meaning/purpose four little icons surrounding the g-meter in the video playback. Two of them are wheel images, and two appear to be understeer and oversteer graphics, but I can't figure out why they are there, whether they are meant to switch out the g-meter in the playback for some of the other data that's available, etc.?

Any ideas?
The tiny green indicators actually move, but in practice I do not see them move very much. I suppose the more they move the more severe "it" is. I believe the ones on the right are over/under steer. Not sure about the tire icon on the left - is it ABS maybe? Actually I don't think it is ABS because I watched some video and the green indicator is moving around just slightly in places where ABS should not be doing anything...

Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

The tiny green indicators actually move, but in practice I do not see them move very much. I suppose the more they move the more severe "it" is. I believe the ones on the right are over/under steer. Not sure about the tire icon on the left - is it ABS maybe? Actually I don't think it is ABS because I watched some video and the green indicator is moving around just slightly in places where ABS should not be doing anything...

The wheel is indicating wheel slip. Under and oversteer are noted correctly.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:39 PM
DEO92
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much to both of you. That makes it clear - I can see the wheel slip clearly when I crest the hill at LRP and catch a bit of air.

Glad Rennlist could answer what Google and Porsche.com did not.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:21 PM
sushisean
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche continues to update this app very frequently. I'm heading to the track for the first time this weekend in my new 991.2 GT3. Is the consensus that the iPhone (i have an XS) GPS is going to be useless? Trying to decide if I need to overnight a vbox before Friday.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:18 PM
sushisean
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Porsche has continued to update this app and fix bugs. I'm excited to use it for my first track day in my new 991.2 GT3. Is the consensus that using the iPhone (i have an XS) GPS is useless? I'd rather not go through the hassle of an external GPS if the phone works well. I know the phone can, as it always worked great with Harry's in the past. Hoping improving this has been one of the recent bug fixes
Old 02-06-2019, 10:25 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sushisean
So Porsche has continued to update this app and fix bugs. I'm excited to use it for my first track day in my new 991.2 GT3. Is the consensus that using the iPhone (i have an XS) GPS is useless? I'd rather not go through the hassle of an external GPS if the phone works well. I know the phone can, as it always worked great with Harry's in the past. Hoping improving this has been one of the recent bug fixes
I am very interested to hear the answers. I do not believe I have used the current app version. Last time I used it was last September. I believe the phone GPS is good enough for most of the data (if it indeed uses GPS for any of its internal calcs), but in the past it was not good enough to show your line (at least not at VIR).

I bought a DUAL precision GPS puck and have used that in the past, but either I am doing something wrong or it is no better than the phone. The race line the app shows is far too chunky and just not accurate - thus useless for the most part to look at my line. Last time I tried taping the GPS puck in the middle of the rear window to ensure it got unimpeded sky coverage and that did not help.

One time when I was setting up the app and verifying GPS was on, I could have sworn that it flashed "Vehicle GPS" or something like that in addition to or instead of "smartphone/external GPS" or whatever the exact blurb is. But, I could not get that choice to show again. If the car has GPS, which I believe it does, can the app use that? It should have excellent reception with the antenna on top of the car in that little doohickey.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:22 AM
Errsomeone
Racer

Originally Posted by sushisean
Is the consensus that using the iPhone (i have an XS) GPS is useless? I'd rather not go through the hassle of an external GPS if the phone works well. I know the phone can, as it always worked great with Harry's in the past.
Useless would be too strong, but just realize the limitations. While I have Harry's app, I use PTPA regularly, with some versions being better than others. After my first weekend with PTPA I realized the 1Hz (?) GPS of the phone was not going to work and purchased a RaceLogic VBox Sport, which has always worked well with the app. Before using a faster GPS any line traces were really unusable as it connected dots all over the place, including off the track map, but that is the phone rather than app.

If you have been happy with Harry's give PTPA a go, but don't expect to get much from line traces aside from a rough idea. Don't be surprised if you begin to look for other GPS options.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:36 AM
Errsomeone
Racer

One time when I was setting up the app and verifying GPS was on, I could have sworn that it flashed "Vehicle GPS" or something like that in addition to or instead of "smartphone/external GPS" or whatever the exact blurb is. But, I could not get that choice to show again. If the car has GPS, which I believe it does, can the app use that? It should have excellent reception with the antenna on top of the car in that little doohickey.
Yes, I have also seen the car's GPS as well, but believe it is same as phone at 1Hz, at least in a 981 GT4. As such, it really has the same problem as the phone since it does not refresh more than 1/s.

Some versions of PTPA can get tripped up and not catch that you passed start/finish given the slow refresh. In such cases it will join multiple laps together as if one really long one or in worse cases the App seems to get confused and stop logging. There have been a few times where I forgot to turn on my VBox Sport and these are two examples you may encounter.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:55 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Errsomeone
... purchased a RaceLogic VBox Sport, which has always worked well with the app. Before using a faster GPS any line traces were really unusable as it connected dots all over the place, including off the track map, but that is the phone rather than app.
Can you please clarify? Does the VBox work with PTPA, Harry's, or with its own app? I have not looked into VBox...

Just checked and my DUAL 160 has a 10 Hz data rate that should be acceptable - just need to figure out how to make that stick in the phone...might need latest firmware on my puck.

Quick Reply: New version of Porsche Track Precision available!