Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 11:49 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Appreciate your nod to those RL supporters who are dealers for this type of technology.

I agree with your preliminary assessment of why it might be of benefit and can assure you that it will do what you are looking for in a way your existing technology will not and can not.

Reach out if you need help. I spent time with the Garmin Regional Sales Rep yesterday educating him on how it works and what it does, as well as how to set it up! Man, they are a BIG company!
Between working with pro coaches, sending some videos to Racers360, and now this, I am running out of excuses!

Even with all this technology there is nothing like having a pro work with you one on one. There are just some things a computer is never going to be able to explain to you.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
gman3280 (09-06-2020), matttheboatman (09-10-2020), TFBoxster (11-10-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 12:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

Even with all this technology there is nothing like having a pro work with you one on one.

There are just some things a computer is never going to be able to explain to you.
Agreed.

As one of the pioneers of pro coaching aimed at the club/entry level pro/HPDE/track day driver fifteen years ago, the principal value to the client was the collaborative development of a highly targeted and very specific execution strategy, WITH the client.

The ability to "flesh this out" and use the experience collected by the pro, as well as the fact that the pro and the client are trying to solve a common problem (how to go faster, without adding risk), can really accelerate progress and spawn breakthroughs. Just talking over the best execution of fundamental skills can help a driver's progress. That I know for sure.

The commonality of advice given to drivers by pro coaches is extraordinary, though.

The talk at the bar between colleagues in this profession after a day at the track does tend to center around trading exercises to expand client driver confidence, probe limits and exploring the many, MANY different ways how to say (and incorporate) "more gas, less brake."

This device is designed to provide real-time actionable feedback, plus supply simple, targeted and actionable goals in review for the next session, without the computer and technology getting in the way. The addition of the learning component assures you'll never run out of things to work on, too.

Cheers!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 12:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts

It is not like the IQ3, done by RacePak and owned by a different group of companies (Holley Performance), and not like the first gen of “sports camera,” the VirB, which is no longer in production.

This has AI and is specifically designed for this purpose, driver optimization. Without a need for a laptop, without the need for a software learning curve, with video, with forces acting on the car, with auto sector analysis and most importantly with audio cues, given in advance.

Add learning capability and simple post session review with all the necessary parameters to improve and validate what you’re doing and what more you can do, and it is a potential game changer.

Think of it as “cutting to the chase.”
You realize I'm not calling your baby ugly, right? Just like you have said many times in the past, it takes a bit of time for a new device to be evaluated and to see how it works out. There are horses for courses and I'm sure lots of people will get value from this device. But, since no one has used it in the wild and it was just released publicly yesterday, we will know soon enough what the jury of public use says. The reviews I've got back from the testers over this year were positive, but lacking in any detail. I can't wait to hear back from more folks!
Old 09-04-2020, 12:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You realize I'm not calling your baby ugly, right? Just like you have said many times in the past, it takes a bit of time for a new device to be evaluated and to see how it works out. There are horses for courses and I'm sure lots of people will get value from this device. But, since no one has used it in the wild and it was just released publicly yesterday, we will know soon enough what the jury of public use says. The reviews I've got back from the testers over this year were positive, but lacking in any detail. I can't wait to hear back from more folks!
The lovely thing is that I have a large family! I have so many options because people who make this investment in technology have so many different priorities in making use of it.

You're mistaken that "no one has used it in the wild." Ross has been in on it since the beginning, has provided input all along the way, and testing across a wide variety of track days and DE's has been going for sometime.

It's vetted and it works as it says it does. That's all the "detail" that matters.

It's just another choice, not competitive with your offering because it doesn't do what yours does, and yours doesn't do what it does.

That's a good thing for everyone.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-04-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:05 PM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you know that I don’t like to waste your time by sending you emails about things that you can’t use. I hate spammy emails more than anyone! So, I only send messages when I have something important to share with you. Today, is one of those times.

Over the past couple of years, I’ve been consulting with Garmin (yes, the watch, avionics, marine, GPS, etc. company) on a product for motorsport, and it’s just been announced. To say I’m excited about it is an understatement!

It’s called the Garmin Catalyst, and it’s kinda creating a new category within what might be considered the data/telemetry world. They define it as a driving performance optimizer. To me, it’s like what snowboarding was to skiing. Sure, both sports involved sliding down a snow-covered mountain, but they’re different. And sure, the Garmin Catalyst uses data, but it’s focused on helping you be a better driver and really optimize your time on the track.Quick story:Not quite a year ago, I spent two full days driving at Heartland Park, focused on providing feedback on the usability of the Catalyst. For me, it was a blast! Two days of having a car and track to myself, and all I had to do was drive consistently at the limit and give feedback on how the Catalyst product worked for me. After all that track time, to say that I was comfortable driving at the limit was an understatement – I knew the car and track well. Towards the very end of the second day, I set out with one objective: to listen to the Catalyst – to have it coach me on what to do to be an even better driver. It told me to focus on three things (Opportunity 1, 2 & 3), and I did. After just half a dozen laps, I had knocked 0.9 seconds off my very best lap time! I was shocked. I thought I was already driving the car at its limit, and yet the Catalyst found almost a full second for me.

As author James Clear says, "When feedback is immediate, clear, and concrete, people learn quickly. When feedback is delayed, abstract, and opaque, people rarely learn." That’s the problem with most data systems – you don’t get the feedback until you’re back in the paddock, where you can’t do much about it (then you have to pull out the laptop, and interpret a bunch of squiggly lines on a screen). With the Garmin Catalyst, feedback is immediate, real-time, when you can do something about it.

I’m a huge proponent of using data to help improve one’s driving, but I’ve always felt that these data systems were designed by engineers, for engineers, and us drivers had to adapt them to help us improve our driving. The Garmin Catalyst is designed first by drivers, for drivers. It’s a driver’s tool. It’s like having a driver coach, like me, with you at all times – in the car, and between on-track sessions.

No, don’t worry, I’m not changing careers and becoming a salesperson for Garmin! But, having been involved in the development of the Catalyst, I’m proud of what it does. It’s going to revolutionize our track-driving world.

Check it out by clicking here.

Keep learning and having fun!

Ross
Since the Ross Bentley connection has been mentioned a few times, I thought I would share the mass email he sent out about the product. thought it had some good info. Hopefully impartial reviewers have the same experience with the product.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:09 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I wonder if it will have an "OSB" suggestion.
Deansdream (09-05-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 01:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

If it were up to me, it sure would!
Old 09-04-2020, 01:44 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

What’s the voice command like? I have a sexy Australian girl telling me where to go on my Gamin nav..... if she told me to drive in deeper I would probably crash...
The following 4 users liked this post by GPA951s:
AgentSpeed (09-05-2020), mbean (09-09-2020), Norge911 (09-09-2020), Veloce Raptor (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 01:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Have you heard Ross' opinion of OSB suggestions?

If he helped with it, there surely doesn't. That is one of Ross' soapboxes.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

"Other Sports Beckon" was a term formulated in the early Eighties at SBRS. OSB is/was used frequently at our instructor meetings at Skip Barber Racing School, less so in the High Performance Driving Programs.

I have met and worked with a handful of people in thirty-five years that could not be "saved." Not sure what Ross' opinion of this valid concept has anything to do with this device.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's fantastic. There've been a few beta testers. Ross Bentley has been one of the resources keen behind the project.....
"Other Sports Beckon" was a term formulated in the early Eighties at SBRS. OSB is/was used frequently at our instructor meetings at Skip Barber Racing School, less so in the High Performance Driving Programs.

I have met and worked with a handful of people in thirty-five years that could not be "saved." Not sure what Ross' opinion of this valid concept has anything to do with this device.
I think most people are familiar with the OSB acronym, but thanks for the history lesson.

Was it at the Instructor Summit at Road Atlanta or Indy when Ross talked about this (or both?). Since Ross was a "keen resource behind this project" and you endorsed the OSB notion, I would say his opinion is relevant. I think OSB is an insult to the student/person along with a indication about the person using it to label someone else. One of the worst drivers I ever saw at an autocross worked hard and turned into one of the fastest and best in the North East. If anyone had deserved the label, it would have been him and he turned out to be amazing.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Since Ross was a "keen resource behind this project" and you endorsed the OSB notion, I would say his opinion is relevant.
You clearly didn't see (but you quoted) the

That's tongue-in-cheek, Matt. You missed it.

Did you have fun multi-quoting that?

I have to get back to work... smdh.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:10 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

You clearly didn't see (but you quoted) the

That's tongue-in-cheek, Matt. You missed it.

Did you have fun multi-quoting that?

I have to get back to work... smdh.
I always think of these guys when you two go at it.
Attached Images  
NaroEscape (09-23-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 07:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hahaha!
Old 09-04-2020, 07:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I always think of these guys when you two go at it.
I'm way younger and have my hair.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching