Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 12:04 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

All set for this weekend PCA TT at Big Willow. Will test and tune tomorrow afternoon.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,059 Likes on 1,793 Posts

That is the BEST combo of information gathering/real-time feedback/verbal coaching and session review equipment available, period.

Are you pairing the Garmin with your car audio Bluetooth? After you use basic coaching, you can enable "advanced coaching" OR "voice coaching on the three opportunities identified in the last session" under Settings in the Garmin.

The Predictive on the VBOX OLED is still useful for quantifying gain/loss, as is the color bar and info once you start the Garmin on it's display.

Bravo!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-17-2020, 01:23 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
That is the BEST combo of information gathering/real-time feedback/verbal coaching and session review equipment available, period.

Are you pairing the Garmin with your car audio Bluetooth? After you use basic coaching, you can enable "advanced coaching" OR "voice coaching on the three opportunities identified in the last session" under Settings in the Garmin.

The Predictive on the VBOX OLED is still useful for quantifying gain/loss, as is the color bar and info once you start the Garmin on it's display.

Bravo!
Yes, Peter. I bought this based on your recommendation:
Amazon Amazon
. I was disappointed my AirPods wouldn't pair, but the Skullcandy works great. Very interested in the real time coaching as I don't have that much experience at Big Willow.

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Willow Springs "coaching"

Jack Miller's video has been the TT reference video for years:

Vollig Motorwerkes offers track support to incude:
  • Master Mechanic/Tech Adam Gill, one of the best,
  • One tire change per day, switch left side to right side, or??? They'll change two (2) sets a day for an extra charge,
  • Tire pressures out and in,
  • Tire temps (Time available)
  • Clean windshield each session
  • Adjustment of swaybars, as needed,
  • First-class mechanical work (As needed)
  • Coaching to the extent allowed by the track and PCA SDR COVID restrictions,
  • Snacks, water
  • Shade
  • The camaraderie with a cadre of Porsche geeks.
  • Discuss Catalyst with at least one member of the group I know of, Alisha.
If I were going, I'd be under Adam's tent. He may have a spot open as I canceled. And I'd have had my new Catalyst with me.

www.volligautowerks.com
adam.gill.m@gmail.com

Last edited by Martin S.; 09-17-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Yes, Peter. I bought this based on your recommendation:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I was disappointed my AirPods wouldn't pair, but the Skullcandy works great.
I thought the Air Pods required an iOS device and could not be paired standalone to other devices? The workaround would be to pair the Catalyst to your phone, then the Air Pod(s) to your phone, right?
Old 09-17-2020, 09:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Not really a review, more of an intro, but I sat down with my friend Eric Meyer from Instructor Summit the other day.

We talked about what the Catalyst is, how it works, why and how it does things no other logger or driver optimization tool does, how to apply it and why it's so cool.

If you want the best eighteen minutes, start at 19:00, but it's a good discussion.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-17-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:19 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

I thought the Air Pods required an iOS device and could not be paired standalone to other devices? The workaround would be to pair the Catalyst to your phone, then the Air Pod(s) to your phone, right?
Hmmm, I didn’t think of that. I’ll give it a try.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Works on my iPhone 11 Pro...
Old 09-17-2020, 11:32 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

AirPods should work fine as a normal Bluetooth earphone device.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Have to pair AirPods with your phone or iPad Touch. See here? https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...h67b40938d/ios
Old 09-18-2020, 12:47 AM
lisocayman
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

This pairs fine with AirPods. Already tested. Just hood down the pairing button on your pods until the LED changes color.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:02 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

This is so tempting, even though I already have an AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam from Peter. It promises to be so much more useable for immediate feedback--the live "coaching" aspect, obviously, but also the quick and easy way to review sessions immediately afterwards in the paddock. The traditional data acquisition systems are just so fiddly with their software interfaces that it makes meaningful review in the short time between sessions difficult. This Garmin system would potentially allow you to make improvements in real time so you get so much more out of your day. Eagerly awaiting some reviews here...

(Above promotion paid for by Peter Krause. You should have my address on file for shipping me my promotional Catalyst, Peter.)
The following 2 users liked this post by paradocs98:
GT3_Driver (09-18-2020), Martin S. (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 12:08 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
What’s the voice command like? I have a sexy Australian girl telling me where to go on my Gamin nav..... if she told me to drive in deeper I would probably crash...
GPA951s,
How is practice and qualifying going? My NY base is the Capital Region

Old 09-18-2020, 12:46 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts

I have the same AiM gear as PARADOCS98, SOLO 2 DL/SmartyCam HD 84 FOV, CONNECTED TO CAN bus, and APEX Pro. I just went ahead and ordered a Catalyst unit.....but with one little hitch. I was going to trade in my AiM gear toward the Catalyst...then the light went on. These systems are complementary, NOT mutually exclusive. I kept the AiM for full-length video and data that I can drill down into at my leisure. I want the Catalyst for real-time coaching, the same for the APEX Pro. Is this too many gadgets? We'll see, can't get to the track until October 16th, Willow Springs International Raceway PCA CCCR.

paradocs98 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 01:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by paradocs98
This is so tempting, even though I already have an AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam from Peter. It promises to be so much more useable for immediate feedback--the live "coaching" aspect, obviously, but also the quick and easy way to review sessions immediately afterwards in the paddock. The traditional data acquisition systems are just so fiddly with their software interfaces that it makes meaningful review in the short time between sessions difficult. This Garmin system would potentially allow you to make improvements in real time so you get so much more out of your day. Eagerly awaiting some reviews here...

(Above promotion paid for by Peter Krause. You should have my address on file for shipping me my promotional Catalyst, Peter.)
Hahaha! Almost got me!

I see it the same way you do.

A huge value for leveraging one of the most precious commodities we have. Time on track...

I’m with Tom Long at the Road Scholars event at VIR today and will post his feedback.

paradocs98 (09-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching