Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:00 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Alphapapa,

My ST hybrid continues to run the engine until warm, anytime the engine is started. My wife's Volvo XC90 hybrid also does the same thing. I'm sure the engineers prefer that once the engine starts, it is allowed to warm up instead of shutting down cold.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:13 PM
sriklin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The unique combination of ICE and electric motors results in potential issues from cold starting the ICE and pushing it to high revs without a warm-up. The oil is synthetic which helps, but it still needs to be warmed up to temp to flow properly. I like to switch my Panamera into Hybrid mode as I am getting onto the highway or other higher speed thoroughfare, knowing that the ICE will stay on as long as needed to bring the oil up to temp. It stays close to temp the rest of my drive as the ICE cycles in and out. Until the oil temp is up, I would be hesitant to hit the blast button or push the ICE too hard. I have read here about one of our brethren who had been driving in e-power without engaging the ICE, hit the blast button to get around another car, and had the check engine light come on as a result. Apparently, the light cycled off after her turned the car off at his destination and restarted. These engines are carefully crafted works of art. They are great fun to push hard, but I recommend making sure the ICE is warmed up and lubricated well first to enhance longevity and reliability.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:22 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Is there anyway to adjust the regen when taking your foot off of the accelerator? I really like single pedal driving around town and I'm a bit bummed that the 4-e-hybrid basically goes into neutral when letting off the accelerator.

Also, is there a way to shift into low gear for descending long hills without the engine kicking on?
Old 08-07-2018, 05:22 AM
Alphapapa
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to all of you who've contributed/ responded to my enquiry re ICE v Electric (I'm getting the hang re jargon!). At least I now know what's going on (more than the Dealership it seems!). Noted re warming up the ICE before hitting the "Blast" button and the like.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:16 PM
911topanamera
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bosch

Thanks. I saw that and looked in my manual. It says the same but as you can see in my picture. I don't have three rows of fuses and there are missing fuses where it says there should be ones. There are no fuse amp numbers to try to coordinate.
If you look at the back of the cover it corresponds to the row and the numbers. The last row is C, which has the least important functions in my opinion. I have my dash camera wire tapped through that. 3-4 months now no issues. I used a voltmeter to confirm it only gave power with ignition as well. Hope that helps!
Old 08-07-2018, 05:42 PM
bosch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911topanamera
If you look at the back of the cover it corresponds to the row and the numbers. The last row is C, which has the least important functions in my opinion. I have my dash camera wire tapped through that. 3-4 months now no issues. I used a voltmeter to confirm it only gave power with ignition as well. Hope that helps!
Unfortunately the back cover of the panel doesn't show me any allocations. Can you please post a picture of your fuse tap? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:36 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphapapa
Thank you to all of you who've contributed/ responded to my enquiry re ICE v Electric (I'm getting the hang re jargon!). At least I now know what's going on (more than the Dealership it seems!). Noted re warming up the ICE before hitting the "Blast" button and the like.
I have noticed it a couple of times in the last few days. Once the ICE kicks in, it heats up to 85°c before it goes off again. I guess it was programmed like this.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:32 AM
bosch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just noticed that one can spec the sedan with Rear Seat in 2+1 Configuration, giving the car five seats. I don’t recall seeing this option before when I spec’d my car. ��
Old 08-09-2018, 04:35 AM
rsyed
Racer

that is a new option which was introduced recently...
Old 08-14-2018, 11:49 AM
rsyed
Racer

Quick update from my side:
Have owned the car for 3,5 weeks: driven 2000km. No major problems.
been doing lots of city driving and couple of hundred miles (800km) of highway driving (constant 145km/h).

My statistics:
Bordcomputer shows an average of 5,1l /100km
I charged at home 283kwh = 42€ worth of electricity. At a price of 1,3€ per liter fuel, this means 32l of fuel in form of electricity. The 32 spread acrosse 2000km yields in 1,6l/100km.

Add the 1,6l to the 5,1l, I get 6,7l/100km average consumption = 42.16 UK mpg or 35 US mpg. Acceptable :-)

On a separate note: I constantly get 40-45km with a full charge. But even when the battery is empty, for any distance I drive in Hybrid with the empty batter, approximately 1/3 of is still in e-mode. The 2/3 charges the battery and whenever possible, it goes back to e-mode. I find the hybrid (prius mode as I like to call it) mode just awesome

Last edited by rsyed; 08-14-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:51 AM
911topanamera
Instructor

Originally Posted by bosch
Unfortunately the back cover of the panel doesn't show me any allocations. Can you please post a picture of your fuse tap? Thanks.
Sorry never saw this, did you figure it out? Can post a pic after work if you need it.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Does anyone know if the Panamera E-Hybrid will be compatible with the new Ionity VW/Porsche/Audi/Mercedes/BMW charge points and if so, what rate will it charge at? Given that the chargers are capable of 350kW/H rate, 7.2KW/H seems a bit pedestrian. If we could get something like 30-40 kW/H charge rate that would take our 14kWH battery from empty to full in around 20-30 minutes but I don't know if the battery has enough integral cooling to cope with that charge rate. I have noticed if I start off at around noon on a very hot day in E Mode, there is quite a powerful motor running, which you can feel through the steering wheel, which I assume is either a coolant pump or fan. This cuts out within a minute or two.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:10 PM
rsyed
Racer

your bottleneck is the charger, so either 7,2kw or 3,6kw. this is regardless of what charge point you are using.

A panamera will never charge faster than 2,5ish hours (7,2kw) or 5ish hours (3,6kw).
Old 08-16-2018, 10:03 PM
911topanamera
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
Does anyone know if the Panamera E-Hybrid will be compatible with the new Ionity VW/Porsche/Audi/Mercedes/BMW charge points and if so, what rate will it charge at? Given that the chargers are capable of 350kW/H rate, 7.2KW/H seems a bit pedestrian. If we could get something like 30-40 kW/H charge rate that would take our 14kWH battery from empty to full in around 20-30 minutes but I don't know if the battery has enough integral cooling to cope with that charge rate. I have noticed if I start off at around noon on a very hot day in E Mode, there is quite a powerful motor running, which you can feel through the steering wheel, which I assume is either a coolant pump or fan. This cuts out within a minute or two.

Wilson-
My Panamera does the same exact thing during hot days. Actually becomes super annoying on hot days in traffic jams where it seemingly never turns off if the AC is at 4/5 fan setting and on e mode. I complained to dealer about it but they said its "normal." 100k+ car that hums louder then a Prius---brilliant.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:19 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rsyed
your bottleneck is the charger, so either 7,2kw or 3,6kw. this is regardless of what charge point you are using.

A panamera will never charge faster than 2,5ish hours (7,2kw) or 5ish hours (3,6kw).
As I understand the Ionity, you would not be using the universal charger but plugging a type 2 lead straight from the external unit straight into the car. I thought there was no actual charger on board the car, although there must be some sort of control circuitry, which is why we have to use the big heavy black box. Is then part of the charger actually in the car, this being the rate limiting factor? If this is the case, given that Ionity must have been in the planning stages when the car was being designed, this was not very forward looking. That would mean that none of the current range of Porsche hybrids will be able to benefit from their charging system, which is already available in parts of Germany and Switzerland.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread