Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 02:55 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

I use the center console port w/o any issues and no need to crack the window. I simply let the cord drape over the sill and close the door - it's a small wire. I also used this method when replacing my battery and I didn't need to reprogram anything.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:22 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

skiracer,
Three questions: 1) Which year E-Hybrid do you have? 2) Are you using CTEK and if so which model? 3) Does it remain on continuously or do you find the 30 second shut off a problem?
Old 04-20-2020, 06:11 PM
ScreaM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2019 e-hybrid and just plugged in my old CTEK 3300 trickle charger. According to the paper manual, you should not connect directly to battery. Instead, we should use the pos/neg terminals under the hood. For mine, the positive terminal is under a plastic cover to the left of the engine (the actual terminal is covered by a red cap), the negative terminal is on the same side but very close to windshield. See the first picture for illustration (it's of a Turbo, but location is the same). On my 3300 there's a mode for AGM battery with slightly higher output (14.7V 3.3A) than normal mode (14.4V 3.3A). Seems to work fine so far. Second pic shows the CTEK charger I have.

The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 06:36 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

ScreaM,
Thanks for the info and the photos. I am aware of the "under the hood" charging points and it was my intent to use those same locations once my CTEK MXS 050 arrives. However, H20won suggested using the 12 volt electrical socket and that is what I'm now exploring. skiracer says he is doing it through the electrical socket with his charger so waiting to see what year E-Hybrid he has and whether or not he can leave it continuously connected and trickle charging. I'd rather not have to leave the front hood open all the time if possible to use the 12 Volt electrical socket.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:55 PM
ScreaM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
ScreaM,
Thanks for the info and the photos. I am aware of the "under the hood" charging points and it was my intent to use those same locations once my CTEK MXS 050 arrives. However, H20won suggested using the 12 volt electrical socket and that is what I'm now exploring. skiracer says he is doing it through the electrical socket with his charger so waiting to see what year E-Hybrid he has and whether or not he can leave it continuously connected and trickle charging. I'd rather not have to leave the front hood open all the time if possible to use the 12 Volt electrical socket.
I actually just placed an order for the CTEK cigarette plug so I don't need to leave the hood open too. I read that the Porsche branded trickle charger only comes with cigarette plug so assuming that should work.

This is what I ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009K2QX0U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009K2QX0U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-20-2020, 08:58 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

ScreaM,
Yes that is exactly the same one I ordered from Amazon. I like the fact it shows the charge state of the battery even when the charger isn't connected. Both my new charger and the Cig Plug should arrive by the end of this week.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:04 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I am a bit wary of using any of the 12V sockets to charge the service battery. Who knows what voltage regulators/controllers/stabilisers that supply could run through. I would guess if it were possible, since the standard Porsche/CTEK charger comes only with a 12V auxiliary socket connector, Porsche would have advised this way to charge. Does the Porsche version of the CTEK have a latching connector halfway down the 12V lead for fitting different terminations, crocodile clips, etc? I will charge mine today using the engine compartment connections, just in case there is a sensor connected direct to the 12V battery, which could be damaged by charging direct, even though I think it is unlikely and worked perfectly 2 weeks ago. I certainly used the 12V socket charging method on my previous 996 and 997 cars all the time.

I don't use one of the 12V sockets on my 1977 911 RSR, as that has a battery master switch which would need to be on. As soon as that is on, all the rally electronic equipment fires up (Brantz 2S odometer and average speed indicator, multi channel digital stop watch and the headset intercom system). This would take half the current the charger supplies so a bit self defeating. In any case with the battery isolated it really does not run down - only if the grandchildren want to play at being Carlos Sainz and his navigator in the 911 and forget to turn off the master switch to kill the intercom and other battery drains, when they have finished

Again I would emphasise how fragile these CTEK chargers are. I have lost two over the last 20 years, from getting knocked off a car wing and falling onto a hard surface. Handle them with care!

Wilson

PS As what I thought was a sensible precaution, I disconnected the high voltage charging lead, while charging the service battery. It had fallen down to 2 LED's again.

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 04-21-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:52 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Wilson,
If you look at the photo I posted above (4/19/20 4:57 pm) there does not appear to be any "latching connector halfway down the 12V lead" on the Porsche Charge-o-mat. CTEK sells the "cig plug adapter" with or without an indicator 3 bulb attachment; I ordered the one with it. On page 106 of the manual (Electrical Sockets) it does have a section titled Connecting the charging adapter which indicates "The 12 Volt sockets also work when the ignition is switched off". Further, "Fig 62" on that same page gives specific instructions regarding the proper distance for the "ground connector". See photo below;

Porsche Manual Page 106

Last edited by SaratogaLefty; 04-21-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:43 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

skiracer,
Three questions: 1) Which year E-Hybrid do you have? 2) Are you using CTEK and if so which model? 3) Does it remain on continuously or do you find the 30 second shut off a problem?
Sorry - My car is a PTT, not an E-Hybrid. I use a Porsche-branded charger that I bought used from this forum many years ago for my 996. My charger seems to remain on continuously via trickle charge, as a red light indicates when it's connected and charging.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:58 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

skiracer,
Ok thanks for responding. I'm assuming there shouldn't be any difference between your PTT and the E-Hybrid as far as using the 12 Volt socket. I did speak with CTEK today and they are confident it will work properly. Thanks
Old 04-22-2020, 04:42 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

If you read the manual, it says "The power supply will be interrupted after 30 minutes to save the vehicle battery". That would mean that the supply to the 12V socket is going through some sort of controller and I would maintain, at least on the e-Hybrid models, may be unsuitable for charging. I think it is the same issue as connecting direct to the battery. It seems to work but why risk it when Porsche says to charge via the engine compartment connections?

Wilson
Old 04-22-2020, 12:08 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Wilson,
I think you need to read that entire paragraph. What it says (see photo above) is: "The 12 Volt sockets also work when the ignition is switched off. If the engine is not running and the accessories are switched on, the vehicle battery will be discharged. The power supply is interrupted after about 30 minutes to save the vehicle battery. If the consumer is to be switched on again, the ignition must be switched on again." I'm reading this to mean if you have the stereo playing and you turn off the motor but remain in the car without opening the doors, the stereo will turn off after 30 minutes. This is something I have experienced while sitting in my car and admiring a view with the engine turned off. I don't know if this applies to the electrical sockets but I will find out soon. My new charger arrived yesterday and the cig plug connector should arrive tomorrow or Friday. I will post my results. If it does disconnect after 30 minutes then I will return the cig plug adapter to Amazon Prime and utilize the alligator clips that came with the charger and connect to the charging points under the hood. Additionally, if you read the next page (107) which is just barely visible in the photo above, under Emergency Charging, it refers you back to page 65 and this is where they talk about the connection points under the hood (bonnet) which I believe are meant to be used when "jump starting" the car.
I find it hard to believe that Porsche would sell a CTEK private branded "Charge-o-mat" meant to be used through the electrical sockets that turns itself off after 30 minutes. Skiracer is using it on a Panamera Turbo model and he says no problem so we'll just have to wait and see what happens when I try it.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:43 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

I just read through the "Charge-o-mat Pro" instructions that I downloaded from the internet. On page 8 and 9 under "Errors and Solutions" there are a couple of interesting notes. First one on Page 8 reads "Only Power Lamp is On (indication lamps and battery program lamps are off)" (I believe this may be what skiracer may be seeing from his post above and thus he is not getting a charge to the battery) it says "1. No charging program has been selected or the charger has been disconnected (e.g. through a power cut). Press the MODE button to select a charging program." Then on page 9 under "Power Lamp Flashes" #2. "Vehicle socket has been deactivated (max 30 minutes). The vehicle's 12V sockets are deactivated if no charge is applied for 30 minutes to protect the vehicle battery. Turn vehicle ignition on and off once before charging if the ignition has been turned off for more than 30 minutes.
What I'm concluding from reading the "Charge-o-mat Pro" instructions is you want to make sure to turn on the ignition key and then turn it off within 30 minutes before hooking up the charger. This is consistent with a video I viewed on You Tube. It seems from the "Charge-o-mat Pro" instructions as long as the ignition has not been off for more than 30 minutes and the electrical socket is delivering a charge to the battery, it will not deactivate. An advantage of the MXS 050 charger is it lights up the various stages of battery charging including the maintenance mode, so if there is a power interruption I should be able to tell right away.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:53 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

skiracer,
If all you are seeing is the power light on, your battery most likely is not receiving any charge. Your "indication lamps" and "battery program lamps" should all remain lit up according to what I am reading in the "Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro" instructions on page 8 under "Errors and Solutions". The trick is to make sure you hook up the "Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro" within 30 minutes of turning off the ignition switch. I think the best process is to briefly turn on/off the ignition switch immediately before plugging the connector into the 12V socket.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:20 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

skiracer,
If all you are seeing is the power light on, your battery most likely is not receiving any charge. Your "indication lamps" and "battery program lamps" should all remain lit up according to what I am reading in the "Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro" instructions on page 8 under "Errors and Solutions". The trick is to make sure you hook up the "Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro" within 30 minutes of turning off the ignition switch. I think the best process is to briefly turn on/off the ignition switch immediately before plugging the connector into the 12V socket.
Mine must be an older unit as it only has a single indicator light - I've been using it successfully for years on all of my vehicles w/o any issues whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread