Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:12 AM
ajriches01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JCBH....serious garage/hanger/warehouse envy going on!
Old 06-27-2018, 04:45 AM
rsyed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey JCBH,

excellent setup. Looking to do something similar in my garage once my car arrives in 2 weeks.

In fact, I ordered the dock and was curious how the mounting works if you were to hide the cable to the power supply like you did on this picture:

Is the socket inside the dock? could you send me a picture of the inside life of the dock? crazy how Porsche charges this much money for a dummy case.

I am only receiving my dock in a week so I am currently lost as to how my final setup will look like. A picture from inside the dock of this setup (where you can't see the socket) would help me a lot.

cheers
Old 06-27-2018, 04:48 AM
rsyed
Racer

Originally Posted by FriscoTexasGuy
Just received note from dealer - got word from Porsche that we will not have 2019 Panamera models until most likely the first of next year. Sounds line that's how they want the new year models to come out from now on moving towards the future
This is pretty much in line with what I posted earlier in June based on news in Europe:
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...on-my2019.html

As for MY2018: production seems to be a problem too. a ST of my friend which should have been produced in May has yet to be built. My car, scheduled to be built last week, supposedly will be built this week. Currently there is chaos in the factory.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:04 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rsyed
Hey JCBH,

excellent setup. Looking to do something similar in my garage once my car arrives in 2 weeks.

In fact, I ordered the dock and was curious how the mounting works if you were to hide the cable to the power supply like you did on this picture:

Is the socket inside the dock? could you send me a picture of the inside life of the dock? crazy how Porsche charges this much money for a dummy case.

I am only receiving my dock in a week so I am currently lost as to how my final setup will look like. A picture from inside the dock of this setup (where you can't see the socket) would help me a lot.

cheers
Yeah - here are some pictures of the installation - hope this helps...the outlet Ira in the cutout, and case covers it all. Very slick design.
Jeff
Attached Images    
Old 06-27-2018, 07:06 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajriches01
JCBH....serious garage/hanger/warehouse envy going on!
Ha thx! I love my setups...fun way to experience the cars!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:11 AM
rsyed
Racer

Originally Posted by JCBH
Yeah - here are some pictures of the installation - hope this helps...the outlet Ira in the cutout, and case covers it all. Very slick design.
Jeff
thank you so much. i now know what to do/expect :-)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:14 AM
rsyed
Racer

one last question: the key is just there so that no one can steal the charger, or? you don't need the key to start charging the car is more my question, ie. park teh car, unwind the plug from the dock and plug it into the the car socket..
Old 06-27-2018, 09:12 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you so much. i now know what to do/expect :-)
rsyed
I had the same questions as you have. I thought I would be able to find a template or get one from the dealer for the back plate in order to align the outlet I installed on the garage wall properly so the dock would be centered in the space I had. No good, could not locate a template. So I went to the dealers and took about a dozen dimensions and then made my own template from the sports page of the newspaper. I used this to locate where to have the wire comes out of the wall so the outlet was properly offset to allow the dock to be centered. I will enclose a picture with the outlet and the makeshift template taped to the wall. I did not receive my car yet, so still awaiting the dock. Good luck.
BTW, I do believe the key is strictly for locking the door and the charger inside. It is not needed for charging. The dealer had a hard time finding the key when I wanted to take the dimensions.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:46 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

one last question: the key is just there so that no one can steal the charger, or? you don't need the key to start charging the car is more my question, ie. park teh car, unwind the plug from the dock and plug it into the the car socket..
Yeah the key is just to lock the hinged enclosure door...I leave the key in there so I don't lose it - the chargers are all in secured locations...not worried about theft. As for the charger itself, a neat option is that you can set a 4-digit PIN to allow charging...if it is outside, for example. Clever stuff.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:24 PM
rsyed
Racer

excellent guys - thanks a lot for your help..
Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 AM
ajriches01
Racer

JCBH - you should be charging entry!
Old 06-29-2018, 12:44 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm getting into a routine now, able to drive to and from my office on all-electric with extra to spare. The key I've found is driving back roads (part country, part suburban, part city) rather than the expressway, as the expressway eats the battery capacity more rapidly, and I get more regeneration (and less hills) on the back roads. So I'm getting consistently 26-28 miles on a single charge now with summertime temperatures.

I'm not having any other obvious significant problems with software or anything else at 2000 miles on the odometer. Fabulous car. And it gets huge attention everywhere I go, because it's such a unique, rare car (a Porsche station wagon!).
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Pana TJ
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found this article from my engineering alumni newsletter and thought I would share it just as something of interest about the Lithium Ion batteries. Toward the end of the article it explains that in cold weather, it is better to charge the battery slowly to prevent premature degradation of the battery. Please see attached link.
https://news.psu.edu/story/526756/20...ing%20newswire
Old 07-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Software update delayed - official

Originally Posted by Pana TJ
I found this article from my engineering alumni newsletter and thought I would share it just as something of interest about the Lithium Ion batteries. Toward the end of the article it explains that in cold weather, it is better to charge the battery slowly to prevent premature degradation of the battery. Please see attached link.
https://news.psu.edu/story/526756/2018/06/28/research/self-heating-fast-charging-battery-makes-electric-vehicles-climate?utm_source=newswire&utm_medium=email&utm_term=527128_HTML&utm_co ntent=07-03-2018-07-19&utm_campaign=engineering%20newswire
I would think both the low (3kW/H) and fast (7.2kW/H) that the universal charger offers would be regarded as slow, especially compared to the 100kW/H of Tesla Superchargers or the proposed 300kW/H of the Porsche Mission-E fast chargers. I am more concerned about thermal degradation of the battery when charging in ambient temperatures in excess of 35ºC/95ºF. For that reason, when my Panamera is in the south of France, where such temperatures or higher are common in July and August, I will only charge during the night and at the lower 3kW rate. At least my house is at 800M /2600ft altitude and does not get as hot as inland areas at lower altitudes.

On a different subject, I have just received disappointing news from Porsche GB, that the software update for existing cars to correct the speedometer display units amongst other items, has no release date but "should be before the end of the year" I think this is pathetic and a very poor service for owners of a very expensive car. Just not enough effort being put into it. This is the sort of thing I expect from Morgan but I had hoped for better from Porsche.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:30 PM
ajriches01
Racer

Wilson - I agree that is poor, my "solution" is to put on cruise control as the speed indicated will be in kph.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread