Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 06:58 PM
Jmiran
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just returned home from the dealership and was able to confirm what the wise folks on this board have shared. My issue is that there is no battery charge. I’ll do some driving to bring up the charge then see how the car responds. As usual, I appreciate the tremendous input.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:58 PM
Jmiran
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone here purchase a 3rd party 25 ft charging cable? As I noted previously, my Panamera came with an 8 ft cable and I need something longer. Looked online but don’t know if some are better than others. Thanks
Old 01-25-2020, 05:15 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I looked for a longer charging cable that would plug into the Porsche Universal Charger using the lever locking plug. It appears this is a proprietary plug and socket arrangement, which no other company uses and at least in Europe I failed to find a longer cable. I therefore went in the other direction and got a longer 240V/16A cable to use at my French house, where I cannot get that close to any power outlets. I made up my own cable with a 16A waterproof Schuko plug at one end, 25 metres of 2.5mm² conductor exterior grade cable and a waterproof 13A British type socket for the far end of the cable, as my UK supplied Panamera came with 2 power cables for the charger: a standard UK 13 amp rectangular pin plug for regular UK sockets and a 32 amp round pin plug for "Commando" high current industrial sockets. I use the latter 32A cable in the UK and the 13A cable in France. The made up mains extension cable cost me around £50 to make, whereas the one from Porsche was over £300 and was not as long. In a weird bit of logic, when you mount the 32A cable in the Universal Charger, the charge rate defaults to 50% (3 kW rate), whereas when you plug in the low current cable, the charge rate defaults to 100% (7.2 kW rate). If you did not alter this, you might end up burning out your mains cable or damaging your house wiring. I reported this as a fault to Porsche but they confirmed that this is how it was set up - why????

Wilson
Old 02-04-2020, 04:22 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I just fitted a set of the new Pirelli P Zero NCS noise reduction tyres on my 21" wheels. Sadly they seem at least as noisy as the previous regular P Zero tyres - back to the drawing board Pirelli. A total waste of money so I really would not bother guys. I wonder if the Michelin equivalent the Pilot Sport Acoustic might have been a better buy but I have avoided Pilot Sports for years, as their low temperature performance has in the past been so poor.

Where I live in the winter in the south of England, winter tyres are really not necessary for me other than one or two days a year, where I just drive very carefully and the Pirelli P Zeros are adequate when combined with the very gentle 4WD electric power delivery. I had to pull onto a very wet, muddy and soft grass shoulder of a farm road last week to get round a broken down tractor on a farm road. It was also fairly steeply uphill. I raised the suspension, put it in electric mode and it sailed through without a trace of wheelspin. The tractor driver said he was sure I was going to get stuck.

Wilson
Old 02-06-2020, 02:46 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Wilson. My dealer recommended the P7 Cinturato all season tires for me (I think it was an extra $500 option) and I figured I wouldn't "feel the need" for pure summer tires. So far I do like them, have no regrets and hope that they last longer than the average 2 years I would normally get out of performance tires from my previous vehicles.

I also always have a winter set of tires, being in Canada.

-- Mike
Old 02-06-2020, 11:38 PM
boutrosa
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi everyone.

I’m new to Porsche and I purchased the E-Hybrid instead of getting another 750i. I have to say that I am very impressed with the car. Porsche nickels and dimes you compared to the 7 series. They are both excellent vehicles that I believe cater to different needs.

I have to say that it has been very difficult to find a replacement for the 7 series. That being said after test driving an s class, the new 7 series, and the 4s, I felt at home in the 4 e hybrid.

That being said, the power of the 971 e-hybrid is addicting and I find myself wanting more because you cannot enjoy the vehicle because living in miami that is flat and there are no winding roads, a slight push with your right foot and all other vehicles are left behind ever so elegantly.

anyways, I have been reading through the forum and it seems many people have had issues getting launch control to work properly. I also had some issues. I finally figured it out today.
1: sports plus mode.
2: left foot on the brake
3. Must pass has all the way down quickly. All the way down. (That’s where most get it wrong). Not pressing all the way down.
rpm will go to 5000 rpm
launch control will show up on the dash.
4. Take foot off the brake and you are good.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:07 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

My 2018 E-Hybrid came with the Cinturato P7 All Season tires at no extra cost. When I went to the LA Porsche Driving Experience I noticed their E-Hybrids also had the P7 tires. I asked the instructor why and he told me if they ran the P Zero tires they would be putting new ones on every month. As for handling, he told me the P7 handling is only slightly less than the P Zero on dry pavement and substantially better on wet payment. From what I experienced on the track they were outstanding and didn't break loose until pushed very hard and then quite predictably. I tracked a 911 with P Zero tires through PCA for five years and I do find the P7 tires to be very good. Further, I now have almost 11,000 miles on the car and the tires still look essentially brand new. The only complaint I have and it is minor is they aren't the quietest tires on the grooved freeways we have in this area, but they do track very nicely despite the grooves. Also, for what its worth I run the tires 2-3 lbs higher than the Porsche recommendation.
The following 2 users liked this post by SaratogaLefty:
MKC91 (02-07-2020), orca15 (08-04-2021)
Old 02-07-2020, 05:32 PM
boutrosa
Instructor

Originally Posted by SaratogaLefty
My 2018 E-Hybrid came with the Cinturato P7 All Season tires at no extra cost. When I went to the LA Porsche Driving Experience I noticed their E-Hybrids also had the P7 tires. I asked the instructor why and he told me if they ran the P Zero tires they would be putting new ones on every month. As for handling, he told me the P7 handling is only slightly less than the P Zero on dry pavement and substantially better on wet payment. From what I experienced on the track they were outstanding and didn't break loose until pushed very hard and then quite predictably. I tracked a 911 with P Zero tires through PCA for five years and I do find the P7 tires to be very good. Further, I now have almost 11,000 miles on the car and the tires still look essentially brand new. The only complaint I have and it is minor is they aren't the quietest tires on the grooved freeways we have in this area, but they do track very nicely despite the grooves. Also, for what its worth I run the tires 2-3 lbs higher than the Porsche recommendation.
SaratogaLefty, Very interesting. I went through 3 sets of Pzeros on my 7 series and the Porsche is a heavier car. each set gave me between 13k to 15k miles. My Panamera also came with the P7 tires, Compared to the Pzero I had on the BMW, I feel that the P7 did not stick to the road as well. I was thinking of going with the micheline 4s as the P7 did not feel right to me. But, I now have about 3000 miles on the car and they seem to be better. It still not feel as planted. I run my tires on full load + 3 recommended. That comes out to about 51 psi in the rear. I was thinking that too much air can also be the issue. I also do agree with you that road noise can be better.
Where are you located and at what pressure are you running your tires?

Thanks

Andy

Old 02-07-2020, 07:22 PM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

I live in Saratoga, CA which is a suburb of San Jose. I run my tires cold at roughly 41 front and 48 rear. When heated up the rears do come in around 51 lbs. There is no question the PZeros will stick better in dry conditions and also may feel a little better but when I ran them on the 911 I was lucky to get 10K miles from them, but that did include some track time. I have driven the Panamera very aggressively on the local coast mountain roads and I haven't had any problems with handling. The car as you say is heavy but because the batteries are so low I think it actually improves the handling quite a bit. I'm hoping the P7 tires will go 30K miles but time will tell. Can't comment on the Michelins but the tread wear rating isn't much better than the PZero tires, so not sure I want to buy tires that often.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:59 PM
boutrosa
Instructor

Agreed. I Am very happy with the P7. If we get 30k that’s awesome. Specially I put about 2500 miles in one month.
I’ve got 2 issues with the Panamera e hybrid.
1; I can’t get enough of the power. I guess I will have to take it to a track. I find myself always on sports plus pushing the car but not really pushing. Love the sound of the exhaust and I do not have the sports exhaust.

2: compared to my 7 series, I never needed to use the recirculating on the AC. On the Porsche every time I’m in bumper to bumper I have to use it.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:02 AM
SaratogaLefty
Pro

I negotiated a free session at the LA Porsche Driving Experience when I purchased mine. Drove straight over there after I picked it up from the LA Dealership. Spent a little over two hours driving their E-Hybrid through all the various situations they have set up (fast 1 mile track; two different wet panic setups; numerous launch control starts both with the engine and electric and also did launch control with electric only; and some other very interesting driving conditions. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to see how their car can be driven without risking your own car. I believe the Atlanta setup is very similar and that would be closer for you.

Not sure what you mean about the recirculation?? No real humidity here so I never use it unless I'm passing a dead skunk.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 03:48 AM
boutrosa
Instructor

The button that loops the in the cabin. Usually gives a cleaning air message on the dash. It’s located on the right of the shifter next to max cool
Old 02-08-2020, 04:14 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I only got 10,000 miles out of my P Zeros (on 21" wheels) but then that is half the year on the UK's pot holed cattle tracks and the other half of the year living in a Provençal mountain village. Both of its access roads look like a stage for the Monte Carlo rally, with multiple hairpin bends. One of the roads is used as a stage in various French national car rallies and once a year for a speed hill climb. Given I use these roads quite frequently, the tyre wear was not unexpected. On my two previous 911 Turbos, I used to get around 6000 miles from a set of rear tyres (305/30 x 19).

I don't think the all season P7's are available in the UK. I have never seen them offered when you enter the 21" tyre sizes on a tyre search, putting in N Porsche homologation as a filter.

Wilson
Old 02-08-2020, 04:33 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 93 Posts

I just bought a Turbo-S e-Hybrid. Have a few questions for my fellow e-hybrid owners.

1) Would you recommend getting the Porsche charging cabinet and sticking with the Porsche charger that came with the car? or would you recommend using a third-party charger like an EVBox.

2) Do you have any tips on configuring and customizing the cars settings? E.g. what do you use the option button for on the steering wheel?

3) Any cool Easter egg features most people might not know about?

Last edited by stealthpilot; 02-08-2020 at 10:18 PM.
MKC91 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 04:42 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I just bought a Turbo-S e-Hybrid. Have a few questions for my fellow e-hybrid owners.

1) Would you recommend getting the Porsche charging cabinet and sticking with the Porsche charger that came with the car? or would you recommend using a third-party charger like an EVBox.

2) Do you have any tips on configuring and customizing the cars settings? E.g. what do you use the option button for on the steering wheel?

3) Any cool Easter egg features most people might not know about?
The charge cabinet is a poor fit for the latest slimmer universal charger, unless they have updated it. I just use the supplied wall bracket and mine has sat outside in all weathers for over 2 years with no problems on the charger. The charge port is another story and my Panamera is off at the dealer at the moment to have it replaced. The water sealing is very poor. Water has got into the port, then freezes overnight and the charge plug will no longer release with the button. You have to power up the car and get round to the plug within 10 seconds to remove it. You then find the charge port door will not shut as the latch has frozen solid. The water has also resulted in error codes, such as E Power not available when the traction battery is fully charged.

I have my option button set to sport mode but soft suspension and sport exhaust off.

When you are about to reverse, the rear view camera will activate. At the top left of the screen, there is a touch panel to activate the wash facility for the rear camera. Very useful in rainy UK and as we live at the end of a muddy farm road.

Wilson
MKC91 (02-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread