Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 12:03 PM
amphicar770
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 16PanaHybrid
Industry-wide guidelines state to leave the hybrid battery at ~80% state of charge. I try to ballpark it close to 80% and then drive around the block if I need to drop it a bit more. Obviously this means to leave the car disconnected from your EVSE.

You should be fine to connect your trickle charger by either connection means to separately maintain the 12v battery.
Yes, by default most EVs and Hybrids will never charge over 80% capacity even though the gauge on your dash shows it to be 100%. Perhaps Porsche is actually allowing them to charge to a full 100%? That could explain why the Porsche batteries, which use the same cells as every other brand, have such a comaritively high failure rate. I've long suspected it is either a software or a cooling issue.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:47 PM
BruceG
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

They told me the midnight, papaya and one other color I think amethyst was discontinued for now. I ended up somehow getting midnight. I didnt ask any questions how they pulled it off
The following users liked this post:
16PanaHybrid (06-11-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 11:26 AM
Zola3515
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Quick overnight test with my 2018 EHST that after plugging in the Charge-O-Mat-Pro to the cigarette lighter and cycling to get the proper Pb acid charge light on. When I checked back later the green light is now blinking and no charging has occurred. This is certainly not what the charger instructions suggest should happen and is not what happened with an earlier 718 GTS and Macan S that I used the charger with. So is hooking directly to the battery the only way to go with the hybrid?

Update - realized that the charger must be plugged in within 3 minutes of turning ignition off to prevent powering off of the socket. Now all is working well.

May car is now 3 years old - any idea how long the original 12 V batteries normally last?

Last edited by Zola3515; 06-12-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:19 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

My Panamera battery is coming up to 5 years old and is showing no signs of dying. It leads a rather easy life, with no high current demand to run a starter motor, as the ICE is started by the hybrid motor and with an accurate digitally controlled DC to DC charger the charge current is far more carefully monitored and controlled than a regular alternator control circuit, which is usually quite crude. I go through a new battery every two to three years on my Morgan Three Wheeler. It leads a hard life starting the 131 cu in (2.25L) high compression two cylinder engine, from quite a physically small battery. The charge control has improved since I binned the Cycle Electrics rectifier/controller, as they died about every 18 months and replaced it with a genuine and new Harley-Davidson ElectraGlide unit, which so far has lasted 5 years with no problems, apart from when the idiot dealer in Signes tried to start the engine with the earth strap to the engine disconnected after fitting the new H-D rectifier unit. The starter earthed through the H-D rectifier and it blew up.

Wilson
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilson Laidlaw:
MKC91 (07-11-2022), Zola3515 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 04:48 PM
Brazz
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 4 Ehybrid vs 4S Ehybrid

Hello. I’m considering a 4 Ehybrid or 4S Ehybrid. Did anyone drive both and have insights? Thanks
Old 06-29-2022, 12:57 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Brazz
Hello. I’m considering a 4 Ehybrid or 4S Ehybrid. Did anyone drive both and have insights? Thanks
4S E-Hybrid all the way. Significantly better performance and higher power with some options added as standard (double tailpipes, better brakes, etc.).
Old 06-29-2022, 03:49 PM
Brazz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SS22
4S E-Hybrid all the way. Significantly better performance and higher power with some options added as standard (double tailpipes, better brakes, etc.).
Thanks for your input.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:23 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your input.
4S E-Hybrid came out in 2021 so this doesn’t apply to pre-2021 when 4 E-Hybrid was the only option if you wanted a hybrid other than turbo hybrid. But now (post 2021), I think the only reason someone would get 4 E-Hybrid over a 4S E-Hybrid would be to avoid the extra cost (if the extras don’t matter to the person). But for the delta in price, I think you get a lot of bang for the buck.
The following users liked this post:
Brazz (06-29-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 01:45 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

I went the other way - 4E - and the car has certainly never felt underpowered. It is PLENTY fast off the line and on the road. I was more worried that the extra performance/noise would translate to more road rage on my part

But to SS22's point, it's all about how much the extra 10K or whatever it is stretches your budget. I just couldn't rationalize it for just a "little more fun." If you are able to rationalize it, he's giving fair advice.

Last edited by orca15; 06-30-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:12 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orca15
I went the other way - 4E - and the car has certainly never felt underpowered. It is PLENTY fast off the line and on the road. I was more worried that the extra performance/noise would translate to more road rage on my part

But to SS22's point, it's all about how much the extra 10K or whatever it is stretches your budget. I just couldn't rationalize it for just a "little more fun." If you are able to rationalize it, he's giving fair advice.
This is a great point. I’m just a sucker when it comes to how fast the car is and the idea that I could get super car performance (3.2 seconds 0-60) out of an otherwise “family” sedan that weighs 5,000 pounds was too good to pass up. I totally agree that anything but the base Panamera is not underpowered and the 4 E-Hybrid is certainly very fast and powerful in its own right.

@orca15, the only things that keep me from going crazy on the road are the passengers (chief among them being my pregnant wife) and driving in EV mode (which has accounted for the majority of my miles since purchase). Sometimes I think to myself that the EV mode is robbing me of fully enjoying the car but then I can’t justify burning $8/gallon gas for no reason on my commute to my office (living in California and combining 91 octane with 101 octane race fuel to get the 93 that Porsche kindly asks for gets me to that price). Of course, it also makes me drive safely like a normal/nice person on the road so there is that!
Old 06-30-2022, 02:39 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I must admit, I did originally want the 4S E hybrid, but there were none in my price range at the time. I have a 4- E hybrid. I've recently had the V6 engine remapped by a local company to take it to 4S E hybrid levels of power, it does feel much more rapid, but still the same power delivery.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:56 PM
Brazz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jamesbilluk
I must admit, I did originally want the 4S E hybrid, but there were none in my price range at the time. I have a 4- E hybrid. I've recently had the V6 engine remapped by a local company to take it to 4S E hybrid levels of power, it does feel much more rapid, but still the same power delivery.
Again, thanks for all the insights. I was curious if the electric assistant on the base motor would provide enough torque for me. I prefer to not code the engine searching for more power. The challenge is finding both models to test drive. Based on the comments, the 4S is the solution. Now finding one is another story.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:09 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, thanks for all the insights. I was curious if the electric assistant on the base motor would provide enough torque for me. I prefer to not code the engine searching for more power. The challenge is finding both models to test drive. Based on the comments, the 4S is the solution. Now finding one is another story.
I only did the remapping as the car is quite a long time out of warranty now and 70,000 miles. Standard, it was still faster than I needed.

​​​​​​I do a lot of my journeys on the electric motor alone, from a standing start, the motor does seem to get the car off the line well, and goes well at highway speeds.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:00 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
@orca15, the only things that keep me from going crazy on the road are the passengers (chief among them being my pregnant wife) and driving in EV mode (which has accounted for the majority of my miles since purchase). Sometimes I think to myself that the EV mode is robbing me of fully enjoying the car but then I can’t justify burning $8/gallon gas for no reason on my commute to my office (living in California and combining 91 octane with 101 octane race fuel to get the 93 that Porsche kindly asks for gets me to that price). Of course, it also makes me drive safely like a normal/nice person on the road so there is that!
Interesting that you mention the EV mode. I drove a 4S for a weekend and gave it back and decided I didn;t want a Panamera because I was just constantly mad about the other drivers. The stiffer suspension and loud exhaust just made me want to go faster. It was too much like my old 911 which is not what I needed- I drive quite often on I-95 for a 100 miles of traffic.

A few months later, after discovering the hybrids, I drove a 4E and all of a sudden I was happy to go 35 mph in traffic! Did not find myself at 95+ mph on the freeway without even noticing...It's like my brain just decided I could drive in EV (and hybrid) mode like a Lexus. Sport mode brings back the adrenaline, but I limit that to open back roads and the occasional empty freeway dash. Weird, I know, but the EV and air suspension really does calm me down.

Last edited by orca15; 07-02-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:16 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orca15
Interesting that you mention the EV mode. I drove a 4S for a weekend and gave it back and decided I didn;t want a Panamera because I was just constantly mad about the other drivers. The stiffer suspension and loud exhaust just made me want to go faster. It was too much like my old 911 which is not what I needed- I drive quite often on I-95 for a 100 miles of traffic.

A few months later, after discovering the hybrids, I drove a 4E and all of a sudden I was happy to go 35 mph in traffic! Did not find myself at 95+ mph on the freeway without even noticing...It's like my brain just decided I could drive in EV (and hybrid) mode like a Lexus. Sport mode brings back the adrenaline, but I limit that to open back roads and the occasional empty freeway dash. Weird, I know, but the EV and air suspension really does calm me down.
That’s funny. The EV mode is definitely a smooth and quiet ride. And the sport or sport plus makes me wanna drive fast because the car just feels like it has so much power that it wants to unleash and it’s just so hard to resist haha!

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread