Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 11:24 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
That is correct, the code is in there but would need to be enabled via a firmware upgrade, I have done it so can guide you to the thread or via PM how this works.
But be aware some early 718's did not come with the GPS module installed if the car didn't come with OEM NAV, this antenna can be added after the fact as well.
So, just so I understand this properly, do you still have to add the Isudar board to PCM 4,0 in order to get Carplay/Android Auto, after upgrading the FW, or is CP/AA 'just there' in the 4.0 PCM?

Could you link me to the thread you mention, please?

Old 12-31-2023, 11:56 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,657 Likes on 2,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal-Chicken
If the 718 [with PCM 4] has CP/AA code built in does that mean the Isudar board isn't needed?
(Just asking as my wife is thinking about buying a 2019 718)
Originally Posted by ZedZed
So, just so I understand this properly, do you still have to add the Isudar board to PCM 4,0 in order to get Carplay/Android Auto, after upgrading the FW, or is CP/AA 'just there' in the 4.0 PCM?

Could you link me to the thread you mention, please?
The PCM used in the 718 is built for Porsche by Harman and from the beginning contained the code to natively run AA and CP, but this was to be an option offered by Porsche, they offered CP but never reached an agreement with Google so the 718 PCM was never optioned with AA. These options are controlled by a feature enablement code, the firmware update I mentioned enables the codes for AA, CP, OEM NAV and even VIM. We can continue that discussion over there.

OK, here is the thread (a long one!), I updated the first post to provide some links to the software, but before you do anything let me review that information to make sure it is all still the latest!
OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 12:03 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
The PCM used in the 718 is built for Porsche by Harman and from the beginning contained the code to natively run AA and CP, but this was to be an option offered by Porsche, they offered CP but never reached an agreement with Google so the 718 PCM was never optioned with AA. These options are controlled by a feature enablement code, the firmware update I mentioned enables the codes for AA, CP, OEM NAV and even VIM. We can continue that discussion over there.

OK, here is the thread (a long one!), I updated the first post to provide some links to the software, but before you do anything let me review that information to make sure it is all still the latest!
OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Thanks West. Great info!

Old 12-31-2023, 01:57 PM
Y2kaibo
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Y2kaibo
Hi all. Thanks for everyone who posted which has helped me in deciding to get the isudar board. I've all the post here and other threads to get mine installed. I am hoping someone may help me with my issues. Everything works on my install even with the xm board making it tight. My board is a v3 with the 230703v1 gr00 version. My issue is that my aftermarket backup camera would cause the pcm to not display the camera sometimes and basically resets the isudar board. I would have to select the 360 camera option in the backup advance menu before the backup camera would come back on. However sometimes the screen will just turn blank or black but the PCM radio would still be playing but can not be controller. I would have to pull the fuse of the PCM for everything to come back on and I would have to change the 360 camera option on and off for it to work but then after a while the cycle continues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

On this wire harness, do you connect the ground, battery, and acc wires?
Old 01-01-2024, 04:29 AM
Marcus13190
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

No it's not necessary.
Old 01-05-2024, 03:10 PM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Just buy a standoff kit from Amazon - then you can combine different lengths to get the correct one for your needs. Just a few dollars.

I should have bought this one but ACS was very helpful and I don't mind giving him money.
ZedZed (01-06-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Daluv_
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,

I am having an issue with my ISUDAR.:

Software: 2.2.1
HARDWARE: 2.0.0.B

sometimes, it doesnt seem to want to connect. The bluetooth logo is white but it didnt want to do the next step: connect via wifi. It will stay like that. If I play music on my phone and if I go to AUXBT, I can hear the music. Also, I am, sometime, not hearing the voice of the other person in a phone call....

I am wondering what configuration can be changed to make sure it will always connect correctly?

thanx!

Mart

Old 01-09-2024, 10:30 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Daluv_
Hi,

I am having an issue with my ISUDAR.:

Software: 2.2.1
HARDWARE: 2.0.0.B

sometimes, it doesnt seem to want to connect. The bluetooth logo is white but it didnt want to do the next step: connect via wifi. It will stay like that. If I play music on my phone and if I go to AUXBT, I can hear the music. Also, I am, sometime, not hearing the voice of the other person in a phone call....

I am wondering what configuration can be changed to make sure it will always connect correctly?

thanx!

Mart
Have you disconnected and 'forgot' the OEM BT connection to the car? You MUST only connect BT in your phone to the Isudar's BT. And disable AUXBT in your PCM as well. See if that fixes it (it is definitely the reason you are not hearing the other person in a phone call).
Old 01-09-2024, 10:34 AM
Daluv_
Advanced

I will try that and report back. thx!

Have you disconnected and 'forgot' the OEM BT connection to the car? You MUST only connect BT in your phone to the Isudar's BT. And disable AUXBT in your PCM as well. See if that fixes it (it is definitely the reason you are not hearing the other person in a phone call).
ZedZed (01-09-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 06:55 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

This is a useful troubleshooting video about connection issues with AA/CP. It's not specific to Isudar but contains some good general advice to help people understand the various issues and potential problems.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:29 AM
Daluv_
Advanced

Seems to have the solve the issue. However, I remember the PCM bluetooth connection time is way more faster than the ISUDAR unit... ISUDAR bluetooth connection (Bluetooth icon turn white) may take several minutes... I wonder why... and sometime when it connect, the following wifi connection does not happen and the bluetooth icon stay white....

I will try that and report back. thx!
Old 01-10-2024, 11:01 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Seems to have the solve the issue. However, I remember the PCM bluetooth connection time is way more faster than the ISUDAR unit... ISUDAR bluetooth connection (Bluetooth icon turn white) may take several minutes... I wonder why... and sometime when it connect, the following wifi connection does not happen and the bluetooth icon stay white....
I don't know why you are experiencing the slow connect times but you absolutely do have to connect to the Isudar BT and not the PCM BT if you want it to work as expected.

When I had my Isudar board installed, the BT connection took a few seconds, more or less the same as the PCM connection took. It could be an issue with the phone itself, or any number of other potential issues. It might be worthwhile, if you have access to a different brand/model of phone, trying it with that which may help eliminate the phone, or point to it as the source of the connection issue.

The other thing I would try is to remove the PCM and check how the Isudar antennas are looking - they need to be extended (not folded over) and ideally away from things which could cause interference. I just laid mine out into the cavity behind the PCM. I have read that some people have taped them to the PCM to avoid possible damage when reinstering the PCM, but I do not think this is a good idea as the metal case of the PCM could act as a 'sink' and interfere with the signal. Having said that, do be careful not to snag any wires or antennas when pushing the PCM back in.

texasgooner (02-23-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 11:12 AM
Daluv_
Advanced

Phone is a pixel 4a.

There is 2 different random issues:

1.- for some reason it will not connect to bluetooth at all (no bluetooth icon turning white)
2.- It is connecting to the bluetooth (BT icon turning white) but not following with the Wifi connection and hang there forever

sometimes, everything works perfectly and happen as fast as the PCM (BT and Wifi connection)

not quite sure how this can be related to the antenna uhmm

thanx for your input!

Mart

I don't know why you are experiencing the slow connect times but you absolutely do have to connect to the Isudar BT and not the PCM BT if you want it to work as expected.

When I had my Isudar board installed, the BT connection took a few seconds, more or less the same as the PCM connection took. It could be an issue with the phone itself, or any number of other potential issues. It might be worthwhile, if you have access to a different brand/model of phone, trying it with that which may help eliminate the phone, or point to it as the source of the connection issue.

The other thing I would try is to remove the PCM and check how the Isudar antennas are looking - they need to be extended (not folded over) and ideally away from things which could cause interference. I just laid mine out into the cavity behind the PCM. I have read that some people have taped them to the PCM to avoid possible damage when reinstering the PCM, but I do not think this is a good idea as the metal case of the PCM could act as a 'sink' and interfere with the signal. Having said that, do be careful not to snag any wires or antennas when pushing the PCM back in.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:54 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Phone is a pixel 4a.

not quite sure how this can be related to the antenna uhmm

thanx for your input!

Mart
If the BT antenna behind the PCM can't find a good signal from the phone, that is how it will be related.

The two issues are one issue really since the way it works is that the initial connection is made by BT which then initiates the WiFi connection for AA/CP. BT makes the connection, WiFi transmits the data (because it has way more bandwidth than BT). It is vital that the two antennas are installed correctly.
Chuck245 (01-10-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 02:15 PM
Daluv_
Advanced

so far, When BT is connected, the wifi is following rapidly every time now. Look like it has been resolved with the removal of the PCM BT pairing.

My next issue is something the time for inital BT connection that is sometimes as fast as the PCM but sometimes didn't happen at all... will try to check the antenna

thanx!

If the BT antenna behind the PCM can't find a good signal from the phone, that is how it will be related.

The two issues are one issue really since the way it works is that the initial connection is made by BT which then initiates the WiFi connection for AA/CP. BT makes the connection, WiFi transmits the data (because it has way more bandwidth than BT). It is vital that the two antennas are installed correctly.
ZedZed (01-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1