Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 12:53 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by soulofuniverse
Thank you ZedZed, could you please provide me a link in private or paste here on the other aftermarket head unit ...
Try this extensive thread for details of various different had units which will work with your car:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...1-1-a-134.html

I have personally used in my Panamera the wide-screen unit linked here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006159194669.html

I have also used this unit in my wife's Cayman:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...Cquery_from%3A

A similar version of the above is available also for the Panamera. If you search on Ali Express, you will find several variants. I have had both of these units in our cars for some months now, with no significant issues or problems.

Originally Posted by soulofuniverse

... my all concerns about those approaches is that there is a big risk of changing the control of OEM features from the OEM headunit, like the interior and exterior lights, locks and etc, hence why I tend to use as less 3rd party parts as possible to achieve the goal, however if the aftermarket is properly designed for Panameras it might be an interesting solution.
There are no issues such as those you describe. All of the OEM controls from the PCM are available in the new HUs, which have specific canbus modules for each model. Door locking, lights controls, reverse camera, radar parking sensors, etc etc are all retained. Personally, I favor the aftermarket units since they feature much better screens with way higher resolution, plus the ability to run any one of the thousands of Android apps in the Google Play Store, as well as wireless Android Auto or Apple Carplay.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZedZed:
Chuck245 (02-08-2024), PanaPano (02-12-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 12:58 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lkh5650
did you do this DIY? any trouble you faced?
Yes, I installed the units in my Panamera and my wife's Cayman. Very straightforward. Pretty much 100% plug-and-play. I gave a sort of commentary on the installs in the thread I linked to in my last post. That thread has the installation experiences of dozens of users too. The Panamera install was more complicated (but not enough to cause any issues) due to the complete change of form factor from the PCM - the Cayman install took me about 20 minutes - just remove the PCM (5 minutes), plug in the various connectors to the new HU (5 minutes), turn on and complete the basic setup (10 minutes). There is a ton of help and support in that other thread.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck245 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 01:58 PM
lkh5650
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Yes, I installed the units in my Panamera and my wife's Cayman. Very straightforward. Pretty much 100% plug-and-play. I gave a sort of commentary on the installs in the thread I linked to in my last post. That thread has the installation experiences of dozens of users too. The Panamera install was more complicated (but not enough to cause any issues) due to the complete change of form factor from the PCM - the Cayman install took me about 20 minutes - just remove the PCM (5 minutes), plug in the various connectors to the new HU (5 minutes), turn on and complete the basic setup (10 minutes). There is a ton of help and support in that other thread.
thanks a lot, let me go check the thread.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...Cquery_from%3A
I bought this unit because it has a volume dial and my steering wheel doesnt have a volume control ****. Did you have 360 surround view? mine is 970.2 and the seller said 360 view might not work. so just in case, i bought a 4 camera kit for 360 surround view.
I feel like i can replace the headunit no problem. my concern is how to mount the camera replacing the existing ones and how to route the wires into the head unit.... watched all videos on how to take out trims for door/mirrors/front bumper/rear bumper. But when i get the unit and try to do it myself, i am sure i will struggle
Old 02-08-2024, 03:59 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

thanks a lot, let me go check the thread.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...Cquery_from%3A
I bought this unit because it has a volume dial and my steering wheel doesnt have a volume control ****. Did you have 360 surround view? mine is 970.2 and the seller said 360 view might not work. so just in case, i bought a 4 camera kit for 360 surround view.
I feel like i can replace the headunit no problem. my concern is how to mount the camera replacing the existing ones and how to route the wires into the head unit.... watched all videos on how to take out trims for door/mirrors/front bumper/rear bumper. But when i get the unit and try to do it myself, i am sure i will struggle
I only have the standard backup camera. OEM in the Panamera, aftermarket in the Cayman (installed by me). Installing a backup camera is a PITA for sure, but if you take your time, allocate at least a whole day for the work and think each step through carefully, you will get there. Check all the YT videos you can find for your particular model so that you can see how others have solved the problem of routing the wires. On the Cayman, it was relatively easy - I drilled a hole in the bumper where the camera should go and then routed the wiring via one of the rear lights (removed for the purpose - one bolt) and into the car behind various trim pieces that just unclipped. Once in the car, I routed the wire down inside the door seal, along and under the sill trim, up into the front of the cabin and behind the dash, using cable ties under the dash to attach the wire to existing harnesses where possible. Once the wire was behind the HU, it was an easy job to hook up and all went well from the get-go.

When testing the camera, be aware that you must have ignition on, doors closed and the parking brake OFF. That last one has caught out more than a few people! On some cars you actually have to drive a little way backwards to engage the camera too, so if yours isn;t working, try that. Usually, though, it's a wiring issue at the HU, and there are plenty of people in the various threads here who will help you with that. Above all, remember that if I can do it, you can do it!
Old 02-08-2024, 06:05 PM
lkh5650
Track Day

I only have the standard backup camera. OEM in the Panamera, aftermarket in the Cayman (installed by me). Installing a backup camera is a PITA for sure, but if you take your time, allocate at least a whole day for the work and think each step through carefully, you will get there. Check all the YT videos you can find for your particular model so that you can see how others have solved the problem of routing the wires. On the Cayman, it was relatively easy - I drilled a hole in the bumper where the camera should go and then routed the wiring via one of the rear lights (removed for the purpose - one bolt) and into the car behind various trim pieces that just unclipped. Once in the car, I routed the wire down inside the door seal, along and under the sill trim, up into the front of the cabin and behind the dash, using cable ties under the dash to attach the wire to existing harnesses where possible. Once the wire was behind the HU, it was an easy job to hook up and all went well from the get-go.

When testing the camera, be aware that you must have ignition on, doors closed and the parking brake OFF. That last one has caught out more than a few people! On some cars you actually have to drive a little way backwards to engage the camera too, so if yours isn;t working, try that. Usually, though, it's a wiring issue at the HU, and there are plenty of people in the various threads here who will help you with that. Above all, remember that if I can do it, you can do it!
Thanks a lot
one last question (dumb question), when i disconnect and replace the PCM3.1 system to android aftermarket Headunit, should I disconnect the battery ?
Old 02-08-2024, 06:13 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Thanks a lot
one last question (dumb question), when i disconnect and replace the PCM3.1 system to android aftermarket Headunit, should I disconnect the battery ?
Maybe, but I have never disconnected the battery in several different installations and never encountered a problem. You could pull the PCM fuse I guess if it concerns you.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
lkh5650
Track Day

Maybe, but I have never disconnected the battery in several different installations and never encountered a problem. You could pull the PCM fuse I guess if it concerns you.
thanks hahaha yeah i just feel like its not needed, so was wondering

Thanks!!! wish me luck and i will take some photo when i do install in 2 weeks
Old 02-08-2024, 07:20 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

thanks hahaha yeah i just feel like its not needed, so was wondering

Thanks!!! wish me luck and i will take some photo when i do install in 2 weeks
Good luck! I'll look forward to seeing your photos.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:40 PM
dragoon
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the Isudar version 2 a new thing for 2024? I wonder how it compares with mr12volt now.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:14 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,707 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by dragoon
Is the Isudar version 2 a new thing for 2024? I wonder how it compares with mr12volt now.
Version 2? They went to an all internal solution and upgraded by adding the DAC Audio and Op Amp chips over a year ago.

Last edited by Westcoast; 02-10-2024 at 09:39 PM. Reason: details
Old 02-10-2024, 08:59 PM
jsdinky
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was your experience with the install of the Ali head unit? Seems like I have lots of wires that would remain unconnected. No real install instructions.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:16 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by dragoon
It's the same thing. They still convert the audio signal from digital to analog, then back to digital...

Mr12Volt remains the best sounding option because it's the ONLY option available for our cars that uses the factory fiber optic M.O.S.T system.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
dragoon (02-13-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 12:08 AM
Frorhl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi To everybody from Milano in Italy!
I want to share my testimony in the hope that it will be interesting and can give some help or get some explanation from you who are more expert than me
​I received my Isudar for PCM 3.0 two days ago directly from Isudar (one month for the delivery...Craziest slowest shipping ever in 2024 ) , it's the last new version, with only one antenna (wi-fi+BT ) and don't know which other differences .. Anyway i jjust put it on my '09 Cayenne
Very simple to put in the PCM except for the new voluminous and numerous cables and the tiny space rear in the dash .. Anyway after an hour and bad words and accessing from the right after removing the glovebox now it's all perfect on board.
Now the strange things different respect what I read in all this thread about ...
Phone call are perfect but only if BT is connected to PCM. If not connected I can call ,hear but other person dont hear me ..
The wifi of my iPhone become automatically disabled . No idea why .Maybe is right but I don't know and understand why .
Isudar say that is available the mirroring but I can't have it. no idea why it's not possible /availlabe ?! I link my phone to the USB of Isudar but nothing . I hear audio but not video (Why? )
Anyway all work good and fast and without problems. only strange thing I don't have the app "Porsche" with the crest on CarPlay. (why???)

Thanks alot

F.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:38 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Frorhl;19280178
Phone call are perfect but only if BT is connected to PCM. If not connected I can call ,hear but other person dont hear me ..
The wifi of my iPhone become automatically disabled . No idea why .Maybe is right but I don't know and understand why .

[/QUOTE]

Buon giorno! Spero che tu stia bene.

Carplay needs bluetooth to make the initial connection and then it sets up its own wifi for data transfer since wifi is superior to bluetooth. So you can't have two wifi connections running at the same time. When you are driving, your phone will use cellular data for its connection to the internet. This is how it is designed to work, so you are good to go. If you can make a phone call and you can hear the other person and the other person can hear you, then everything is good.

Frorhl (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 08:38 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frorhl
Buon giorno! Spero che tu stia bene.

Carplay needs bluetooth to make the initial connection and then it sets up its own wifi for data transfer since wifi is superior to bluetooth. So you can't have two wifi connections running at the same time. When you are driving, your phone will use cellular data for its connection to the internet. This is how it is designed to work, so you are good to go. If you can make a phone call and you can hear the other person and the other person can hear you, then everything is good.

Frorhl (02-15-2024)

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1