Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Received my new PIWIS III

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 01:18 PM
DR.S
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Can someone provide wiring diagram for current 718 headlights, base xenon vs. pdls xenon (not LED)?

Also curious to hear about experience with VNCI PT3G.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:22 PM
scottmcdaniel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Um…help?

I rented a Piwis3 to fix my accidentally-deleted cruise control and add led side markers. Now a few days later after screwing around with it, I have gotten myself into a very bad situation.

The software says it can read my model. So I change it manually to 987. All of my modules appear grayed out and it doesn’t even show my vin. I get the message ‘The model line could not be determined. Please check whether the vehicle belongs to model line Boxster (987) / Cayman. Continue with F12].’, which does nothing at all.

So the car runs, the lights (external work) but I have no interior lights, the spoiler is up and my clamshell won’t open - and of course I had the top down while working on it. Which, it occurs to me is the same thing that happened when my ECU got wet a few years ago - so maybe something in REAR module?

How do I tell this thing to reset or to read my vin and put things back in place? Is there a config file somewhere I can edit to manually enter the vin/car type/model?

ANY help would be appreciated.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:28 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by scottmcdaniel
Um…help?

I rented a Piwis3 to fix my accidentally-deleted cruise control and add led side markers. Now a few days later after screwing around with it, I have gotten myself into a very bad situation.

The software says it can read my model. So I change it manually to 987. All of my modules appear grayed out and it doesn’t even show my vin. I get the message ‘The model line could not be determined. Please check whether the vehicle belongs to model line Boxster (987) / Cayman. Continue with F12].’, which does nothing at all.

So the car runs, the lights (external work) but I have no interior lights, the spoiler is up and my clamshell won’t open - and of course I had the top down while working on it. Which, it occurs to me is the same thing that happened when my ECU got wet a few years ago - so maybe something in REAR module?

How do I tell this thing to reset or to read my vin and put things back in place? Is there a config file somewhere I can edit to manually enter the vin/car type/model?

ANY help would be appreciated.
Hi there. If Piwis not recognizing automatically your model, then there is a connection issue between your VCI the computer and the car. Make sure it is properly connected:

1. Load VAS driver, plug the VCI to computer. Test connection. It should read without problem
2. Turn on the car (engine off). Connect the VCI to the vehicle. Test connection again from the VAS driver. It should be connected (VCI recognized).
3. Run Piwis, diagnostics and wait till the VCI recognizes your model year. Then you should be able to see all your modules.

If that fails contact to Mars.

The following users liked this post:
downshifted (02-21-2024)
Old 10-04-2023, 09:52 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,369 Posts

The Option after 3 will probably be needed given car not recognized. Just hope it isn't the ConBox

siberian
Old 10-04-2023, 11:20 PM
scottmcdaniel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I fixed it! Not sure how I got to this screen in retrospect, but I noticed that it was showing 997####. I modified that, wrote that it was a Boxster, etc. and blammo - everything lit up like a christmas tree! I saved a bunch of logs for investigation tomorrow, but that was very scary.

[edit] the menu I found it under was automatic/manual programming.

Old 10-05-2023, 12:52 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Count your blessings and tread lightly from here on in...

siberian
scottmcdaniel (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 01:10 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Count your blessings and tread lightly from here on in...

siberian
What's your sitrep, if you feel like sharing?
Old 10-05-2023, 02:54 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not publicly, but not good. Been a very long 3 weeks and counting.

siberian
Old 10-08-2023, 05:31 AM
Tommmy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,Maybe this piwis III VCI will nice for your work, it not the 6154 hw
Piwis 3 PT3G-VCI Diagnostic Scan Tool V41.600.012+V38.200 Doip PIWIS 3 Tester

Contact with online sellers ,ask from rennlist Forums have a disscount.
Old 10-15-2023, 12:07 AM
Pluto
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi folks, long time listener, first time caller.

Got my PIWIS 3 all set up, able to do 'Maintenance / Repairs' coding (battery, service reset, etc.), but it seems Manual coding doesn't take for me.
It shows "Successful" but when actually testing it out, or even backing out of the relevant menu and going back in, doesn't seem to stick.

Are you all able to code with PIWIS 3 and VAS 6154 clone with 1.6.6? I have tried a few different PIWIS versions, including 38.xx and 40.xx, same result.

As a side note, is there a difference in coding in "V" or "E" mode, if you are just toggling through the dropdowns on the options presented within the software (and not going in and tinkering on your own with the training wheels off).
As "E" is in German, wondering if there's a difference. I've tried both on basic items with the same result (that is, no result).

Thanks all.

Last edited by Pluto; 10-15-2023 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2023, 12:31 PM
steveo17
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Pluto
Hi folks, long time listener, first time caller.

Got my PIWIS 3 all set up, able to do 'Maintenance / Repairs' coding (battery, service reset, etc.), but it seems Manual coding doesn't take for me.
It shows "Successful" but when actually testing it out, or even backing out of the relevant menu and going back in, doesn't seem to stick.

Are you all able to code with PIWIS 3 and VAS 6154 clone with 1.6.6? I have tried a few different PIWIS versions, including 38.xx and 40.xx, same result.

As a side note, is there a difference in coding in "V" or "E" mode, if you are just toggling through the dropdowns on the options presented within the software (and not going in and tinkering on your own with the training wheels off).
As "E" is in German, wondering if there's a difference. I've tried both on basic items with the same result (that is, no result).

Thanks all.
coding only works in E mode as far as I understand
Old 10-17-2023, 12:39 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo17
coding only works in E mode as far as I understand
That is my understanding as well. Production Mode (P) only would give you successful access to Maintenance and Repairs: Oil Change reset, AC run-in, battery registry and common maintenance stuff.... But whenever you want to do actual coding, which is change parameters for a customized use such as: disable SRS airbag warning, enabling non factory options, and the like, you need to get first into Engineering Mode (E), before loading Diagnostics. You will know that you are in E mode when the modules are in german, if in englsh you are in Production (normal) mode.
downshifted (04-21-2024)
Old 10-17-2023, 03:07 PM
DR.S
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

You can also code in V but there is not much allowed / available to be coded for dealers.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:43 PM
Pluto
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys - I figured it out.
You can do Manual Coding in "V" - there's vehicle options you can tinker with / cycle thru (depending on module).
You do need to be in "E" to do Manual Coding Without Rules (Development) - you won't see this option in V. This allows you to go in and do more interesting stuff that's not as idiot proof.
Everything I've read says not to even try "P" so I have no comment on what that mode is.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:51 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Do NOT use P(roduction) mode. If you f*ck up there's no salvation.

This is reserved for production line tests/mods, I wouldn't even look at the option let alone invoke it.

siberian

Quick Reply: Received my new PIWIS III