GT350

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 12:16 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 663 Likes on 370 Posts

Thanks Jritt. Any chance of getting the RS1-11 in the front also. Really like my Ferodo pads on my FR-S AP Sprint Kit.

Peter
Hi Peter,
Right now we're only starting off with the DSUNO for the GT350. We had to choose one to start with, and felt the DSUNO was the better choice for this chassis. If you like the DS1.11, you're going to like the DSUNO. They are extremely similar compounds overall. Give them a try...you won't be disappointed.

Also, thanks for your support on the FR-S brake kit! I'm not sure if you saw my post earlier in this thread, but we'll soon be launching our Competition BBK for the GT350. It's identical to what Ford is running on their factory Shelby FP350S racecar, and it shaves 28 lbs. off the nose of the car! They are in production now, and we expect to start shipping them in about 4-5 weeks.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 04-11-2017, 02:46 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Jeff

You recommend running DSUNO front and rear?

Peter
Old 04-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Today I went for a drive in the 997 and had a buddy drive my GT350 following - my god I couldn't stop staring at the rear view mirror. Serious presence on the road - the front end is very aggressive looking wide and low - far nicer lines than many modern exotics. Never seen a GT350 out driving so this was quite a treat.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:32 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Eighteen....

Old 04-16-2017, 09:46 AM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennline
If someone brings one to our facility we would be more than happy to develop a slew of products for that car!
When I get mine I can bring it to your place, will call you and set it up.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

New lightening blue R pulled up behind me at the car wash yesterday (from Fremont Ford). Looked very, very nice and aggressive!

Then I saw the 2 kids car seats strapped in the back - haha. My kinda guy - sharing the love with the family.

I've had no real success of getting an R at close to MSRP, so think I'll move towards a 350. Just missed one that went below MSRP - seems to be a lot out there.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:14 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

My kids at 6 and 10 loves the gt350. Enough space to be comfortable in the back seat and love the sound of the car.
When I pick them up in my old 993turbo they look disappointed.
Something to be said for having rear seats when you have kids.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cweed
When I get mine I can bring it to your place, will call you and set it up.
Perfect! Give us a ring when you have it, we will get you setup with some free parts and get some on the market for everyone else!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
My kids at 6 and 10 loves the gt350. Enough space to be comfortable in the back seat and love the sound of the car.
When I pick them up in my old 993turbo they look disappointed.
Something to be said for having rear seats when you have kids.
Haha I understand.

Yesterday evening I wanted to go for a nice evening drive so I grabbed the keys to my Porsche (haven't driven it in 5 days), after about a mile made a U-turn and returned to my garage and jumped in the GT350 - now we're talking
Old 04-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...lity-2018.html

Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Default 'Ringer.....

Old 04-17-2017, 04:51 PM
GT3SOON
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...I know I am going to get chewed up on this one considering this is my first post and I do NOT own a Porsche.

***One thing to keep in mind while reading this reply...I absolutely LOVE the Porsche 911 GT3 and aspire to own one. If I could afford crashing a GT3 at the track with 0 issues, I would buy one. I can afford to buy a GT3 or GT3RS right now if I was to daily drive it...I just cannot imagine owning this car and NOT driving it at the track. I live 5 miles from Road America and tracking my cars is something I absolutely love. I do not race competitively. I just attend HPDE events-its enough for me.

Bottom Line-I do not live above my means. Tracking cars are a hobby I enjoy and I will not place this hobby above my family. Having said this, please read on!

I read through all 163 pages of this thread yesterday. It took some time and I did take away a couple things from this thread:

-Para82 REALLY, REALLY likes his GT350
-Waxer REALLY, REALLY likes his BOSS 302 LS's

-The GT350 is heavy
-The GT350 is not a Porsche
-Panel Gaps are horrible
-Interior is horrible
-It will NEVER keep up with a 991 GT3

I have always aspired to own a Porsche 911 GT3. I really think the GT3 in all of its iterations are the ultimate of a street-able weekend track car. I LOVE the high rpm of the motor, the sound, and handling of what I deem to be the ultimate car.

The negatives that I see owning this ultimate track car are:
-Cost of consumables (Track Insurance, Brakes, Maintenance, etc..)
-Cost of engines/transmissions if out of warranty
-Cost of replacement if there is a track boo-boo
-Purchase price $150K+

When the GT350R was announced I decided I needed one. I called 100+ dealers and ended up with one for $9K over MSRP. It was delivered in May 2016. I have attended a couple track days at Road America with it. The car ticks a lot of the boxes a GT3 does (High RPM, Sound, Handling, Braking) with a couple of big negatives: 1. Weight 2. Interior/Exterior Quality

-I personally could care less about the interior/exterior quality. I get it-its a cheap 'ol Mustang Ford has to start with. +Bolt on the good stuff and take away the bad and I'm good.

-Weight seems to be a big problem. How do you compare a 3700lbs. (GT350) car to a 3100-3200 (GT3) for track use? 500lbs. is just too big of a difference to make up. On the street it is not very noticeable...on the track you can feel it.

HOWEVER...I do Love my GT350R. I do NOT think it can run with a 991 GT3. I know it CAN run with a 997 GT3. Over 3 laps at Road America last year I was able to hang with a 997 GT3. I am NOT a great driver-average at best. The KINK was not in play-the motorcycle chicane was used so it adds time vs. the KINK. I was extremely happy with how the GT350R did against this GT3.

One thing with the GT350R-it absolutely eats the front tires when pushing it.

Again, I love the GT350R, but aspire to own a GT3. I had an opportunity to drive a 991 GT3 this past weekend at Road America. 6 Laps. It was not the full course -Just 1-5 and then through the tire chicane on the access road to 14 and 1-5 again so it was hard to get a real good feeling with the time in the seat. I believe the setting were in SPORT mode. I did not adjust any settings-drove the car as it was set.

-I felt the transmission was clunky up-shifting. COULD BE due to the settings used (Wasn't my car)
-Car felt light on its feet compared to the GT350R
-Brake pedal felt SOLID
-Car put down power out of corners AMAZING
-I thought the power would be a LOT stronger than it felt to me. (Stronger than the GT350R though)
-It didn't seem like the car liked trail braking into corners very much! Rear end felt like it wanted to bite a couple times. I have never driven a rear or mid-engine car before.

I want a GT3, but I am happy with my GT350R-especially after driving a 991 GT3 on Saturday. Some of what I didn't care for with the car could be due to the settings chosen to drive in. It was in SPORT mode. I was paying to drive the car for 6 laps. It was put on by Xtreme Driving and they put a LOT of people through these cars. I let them know I had hundreds of laps at Road America and they put me to the front so I had no issues being able to exploit what the car could do.

The biggest things that stood out to me driving the 991 GT3:
-Car feels light and toss-able
-Brake feel is amazing
-Feels much smaller and easier to place than my GT350R or C6 Z06
-Engine was smooth and loved to rev (Expected)
-Steering was not as good as I hoped. (Was hoping for more feel)
-Power was not what I thought it would be (I don't know what I was expecting...I hold this car in such high regard I don't think anything reasonable would have impressed me)
-PDK in the mode I drove it in did not feel good during up-shifts (Clunky and slower than expected) (Was expecting quick, hard up-shifts and seamless downshifts)

Bottom Line: I love my GT350R, but aspire to own a 991.2 Manual GT3 or Cayman GT4 RS (If they make one) in the somewhat near future. The GT350R is not a Porsche GT3 nor will it ever be, however, it does subdue my itch for a high RPM, fantastic sounding, fun driving, great braking street car that can be tracked. It will not embarrass itself on track-yes it cannot hang with the new 991 GT3's, but there is always someone faster-no matter what you drive.

Last edited by GT3SOON; 04-18-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3SOON
Wow...I know I am going to get chewed up on this one considering this is my first post and I do NOT own a Porsche.
I don't think you should get "chewed up" for this first post on Rennlist, GT3SOON, it seems very level-headed and honest to me. The only thing that seems out of whack to me was your opinion of the transmission. Are you sure you were in Sport mode? The PDK-S in the GT3 is one of the fastest transmissions available, and is far from "slow and clunky" IMHO. What are you comparing it to?

Welcome to the forum, I hope you do end up with your own GT3 sometime soon, and there's nothing wrong with enjoying your GT350R in the meantime.

TT
Old 04-17-2017, 05:56 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 646 Likes on 308 Posts

Tranny must have been jacked. One thing everyone agrees on is the PDK-S bangs shifts both up and down with amazing quickness.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 PM
b46
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When tracking, I noticed sport mode artificially kicks you hard during upshifts - not really necessary in my opinion. I think they designed this for effect... I usually leave it in normal mode with stiff suspension on track. Much faster shifts.

Quick Reply: GT350