Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 12:47 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MegaLoL
Yeah it's obviously more collectable, but you can easily put more sticky rubber to GT350 and you achieve better times on track immediately.

Stuntman did you drive maybe both of them? I would like to hear someone who drove both and can compare.
Yup. Other than the difference in tires and mechanical grip, the increase in downforce and high speed stability is significantly greater in the R than the 350. It's also twice the downforce as a 991 GT3 if that means anything.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:05 AM
MegaLoL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 916Bob
Although I haven't driven an R anywhere near as much as a standard GT350 on the track, here are my observations of the differences.

The R benefits from the lighter wheels and different springs under braking and turn in; especially on rougher sections. It feels a bit more composed. It also feels a little bit less of a pickup truck (butt bounce), on the road. The slightly larger and stickier tires also grip noticeably better. They also wear out much quicker. If you're looking for the best lap time, the R is the one to buy.

The tires on the non-R are it's Achilles heel for good lap times. I feel they are the single biggest contributor to the difference in lap times between the two cars. They do however, allow the car to be immensely fun on the track. I do not use this car as an ultimate lap time car but more as a low cost fun machine. With the smaller, less grippy MPSS tires, it is just that. I can slide it to my hearts content and the tires accept it.

Both cars are well balanced and a lot of fun on the track. They do go through brakes very quickly though. I only get 6 to 7 sessions (not days), out of the front pads. I have a '17 non-R and it is my slowest car, but I still very much enjoy my time with it. It is the only car that makes me feel like a 17 year old when I drive it on the street.
Thanks for feedback. It seems that regular 350 seems to be more reasonable choice.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 AM
MegaLoL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Para82
I love the GT350R but I don't think it's worth $30,000 over a GT350 Track Pack or 2017. It's basically a very expensive (if talking ADM) wheel and tire package, suspension tweak and larger front splitter.

If you can find an R for MSRP or even slightly over than it's a great bargain go for it otherwise I think a MSRP for a GT350 is a good choice.
If you show me, or tell where i can find one :P 85k is the lowest I came across so far.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:11 AM
MegaLoL
Advanced

Originally Posted by stuntman
Yup. Other than the difference in tires and mechanical grip, the increase in downforce and high speed stability is significantly greater in the R than the 350. It's also twice the downforce as a 991 GT3 if that means anything.
So if i understand well, not so much difference in feeling, steering etc.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:37 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Para82
Also that Jalopnik headline is pretty funny - the internet might hate the Mustang but the internet LOVES the GT350. I can't remember a car in recent production winning more automotive awards than this car - nothing like it in production.
Fiesta ST.

The current Fiesta ST has likely won more global accolades and awards since debuting in 2013 believe it or not.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bartron
anyone knows if Ford is sending out these nice crankshafts as a thank you in Canada as well?
Yes. I got mine a couple weeks ago and I purchased my 16' Track Pack last July. I actually called Ford Performance in November and they expedited mine, you may want to do the same (they are great to deal with).
Old 01-03-2017, 01:08 PM
stuntman
Instructor

So if i understand well, not so much difference in feeling, steering etc.
The main difference in steering is due to the tires (PSS vs Cup2). They have the same rack, geometry, etc... so the difference you feel is due to the improved on-center precision and higher lateral Gs of the stickier Cup 2s.

In terms of overall 'feeling', due to the increased downforce in the R, it's more stable and has better body control than the regular 350. It's also more comfortable and 'settled' in high speed corners due to the downforce. Overall, due to the lighter wheels, stickier tires, and more downforce, the R is more light on its feet, planted, and stable.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They do go through brakes very quickly though. I only get 6 to 7 sessions (not days), out of the front pads.
We have Pagid RS29 in stock for the GT350:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Sear...shelby&Submit=

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 01-03-2017, 08:52 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
We have Pagid RS29 in stock for the GT350:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Sear...shelby&Submit=
I ordered a set of RS29's (from a different supplier), and what I got was disappointing. The front pads I received were actually pads made for a Ferrari application, which has a smaller swept area. The width is 5mm narrower and doesn't make the same footprint on the rotor. The word I got from Pagid was:

"unfortunately the Ferrari tool’s annual depth is about 5mm smaller or in other words the inner arch is about 5mm too wide"

I returned the pads with regret as I was really looking forward to getting them on the GT350. I have had extremely good results with them on other applications. If they start making one the right size, I'll be their first customer.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ordered a set of RS29's (from a different supplier), and what I got was disappointing. The front pads I received were actually pads made for a Ferrari application, which has a smaller swept area. The width is 5mm narrower and doesn't make the same footprint on the rotor. The word I got from Pagid was:

"unfortunately the Ferrari tool’s annual depth is about 5mm smaller or in other words the inner arch is about 5mm too wide"

I returned the pads with regret as I was really looking forward to getting them on the GT350. I have had extremely good results with them on other applications. If they start making one the right size, I'll be their first customer.
The 8239 is a new pad shape and not shared with any Ferrari so I'm kind of curious what part number you were sent. As a matter of fact we don't even have the pad diagram yet but we should have that up tomorrow. I'll post up an actual photo of the pad tomorrow as well.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Read through this entire thread over the holidays

Are people still thinking 2017 is last year of production for the R? If that is the case - when would you expect the last configurable orders to close?

Is it expected there will be a 2018 run for the non-R? Sorry my head is spinning a bit having read all this.

Would love for people to keep posting pricing info they see / hear.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:50 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 140 Posts

^IIRC, it's a 5 year run.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:51 AM
MegaLoL
Advanced

Originally Posted by stuntman
The main difference in steering is due to the tires (PSS vs Cup2). They have the same rack, geometry, etc... so the difference you feel is due to the improved on-center precision and higher lateral Gs of the stickier Cup 2s.

In terms of overall 'feeling', due to the increased downforce in the R, it's more stable and has better body control than the regular 350. It's also more comfortable and 'settled' in high speed corners due to the downforce. Overall, due to the lighter wheels, stickier tires, and more downforce, the R is more light on its feet, planted, and stable.
Would you pay extra to get R ?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:56 AM
stuntman
Instructor

Would you pay extra to get R ?
It depends on where you're at financially. If you're cross shopping a GT3, or heck, even an M4, I'd go with the R hands down. If DD is what you're going to use it for and you live where it rains a lot, I'd just throw on the PSS tires. Living in FL, I don't mind the Cup2s and if I lived in CA, TX, or Vegas, Cup2s wouldn't be a problem on the street.

If you don't plan on tracking it at all, the case would be stronger for the GT350, but from a resale and value standpoint, I might lean more towards the R with it's more aggressive (and functional) aero.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:54 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to let people know

GT350 track attack (free one day for those that purchased gt350/R)

Has posted the 2017 schedule. I just registered for May 7/8/ extra 9

it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Porsche School in Alabama

Quick Reply: GT350