Notices

GT350

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:04 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Have 5k miles on my gt350. Can't believe how good this car is as a DD. Seats are amazing. Clutch is way to light but works well in traffic.
The engine is very, very special. Brakes are amazing. Only have 1 track day and some auto x! I need to learn how to drive these type of cars. So different from the rear engine feel.

Auto x is a waste of time. Hood and fenders are huge so really hard to place the car.

Totally agree. I just got mine a month ago, but I'm very impressed with it. Love the high revving motor, brakes are great, handling is good. Its a great dd with heated comfortable seats and a good stereo. I don't need to park far away and worry about other people as much as I do with exotics. Overall great car.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:55 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
Totally agree. I just got mine a month ago, but I'm very impressed with it. Love the high revving motor, brakes are great, handling is good. Its a great dd with heated comfortable seats and a good stereo. I don't need to park far away and worry about other people as much as I do with exotics. Overall great car.
Been driving a lot of BMW M cars in my life. Gt350 feels so much more special than a modern M car.
Ford have been really smart when they built the gt350. Everything you touch or feel as a driver has been refined in a great way. Everything else is Mustang and that's why the price is so attractive.

Engine- needs no comments!
Steering wheel- really nice alcantara wheel, good size and adjustability.
Brakes- brembo top of the line, 295 tires up front really helps. Tons of tire to grip the road.
Seats- recaros are amazing, enough support for active driving and still super comfortable for DD
Shifter/ gearbox/ clutch is the only disappointment. Shifter is not bad but could have been better. Clutch is to light and lacks feel during active driving.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:20 PM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Been driving a lot of BMW M cars in my life. Gt350 feels so much more special than a modern M car.
Ford have been really smart when they built the gt350. Everything you touch or feel as a driver has been refined in a great way. Everything else is Mustang and that's why the price is so attractive.

Brakes- brembo top of the line, 295 tires up front really helps. Tons of tire to grip the road.
Seats- recaros are amazing, enough support for active driving and still super comfortable for DD
Shifter/ gearbox/ clutch is the only disappointment. Shifter is not bad but could have been better. Clutch is to light and lacks feel during active driving.
Agreed. My only real complaint is less head room with a helmet on than a GT3. I wish the seats adjusted lower.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntman
Agreed. My only real complaint is less head room with a helmet on than a GT3. I wish the seats adjusted lower.

This is my only complaint too, I wish you could sit the Recaros way lower, sits a bit too high for my liking. My 997S adaptive seats get so low it's like you're hovering just off the ground.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you say that. I love the shifter.

The clutch is way too light. There is a spring you can take out to make it heavier or get a Steeda spring to go half way. I'm planning on taking out the spring all together.

The throttle could also be a little heavier and it would be easier to do fine modulation with.

Not sure if you've noticed the tramlining but on my R it's super annoying and really the only downside to the car so far. Money2536 put the Steeda brace on his car as have others and that's supposed to help - haven't tried it yet. I'm sure the sticky Sport Cup 2's don't make it any better.

Congrats!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:00 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bartron
Funny you say that. I love the shifter.

The clutch is way too light. There is a spring you can take out to make it heavier or get a Steeda spring to go half way. I'm planning on taking out the spring all together.

The throttle could also be a little heavier and it would be easier to do fine modulation with.

Not sure if you've noticed the tramlining but on my R it's super annoying and really the only downside to the car so far. Money2536 put the Steeda brace on his car as have others and that's supposed to help - haven't tried it yet. I'm sure the sticky Sport Cup 2's don't make it any better.

Congrats!
Mine is used as a DD, I have a dedicated track car. Shifter feel is ok but the lever should IMO have been higher.
Mine isn't to bad when it comes to tramlining. Stock alignment and driving on Super sports.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:53 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed!

The E36 & E46 M3 were my last, none of the modern M cars have interested me, except maybe the M2 6 spd. But nothing really compares to the GT350, it's just a different animal all together and I absolutely LOVE mine!

The light clutch would be my only complaint, but I've gotten use to it. It's actually a plus when you're stuck in stop and go traffic. One thing you didn't mention is the ride; I feel it's an outstanding blend of track hero capable and comfortable DD.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:26 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
Agreed!

The E36 & E46 M3 were my last, none of the modern M cars have interested me, except maybe the M2 6 spd. But nothing really compares to the GT350, it's just a different animal all together and I absolutely LOVE mine!

The light clutch would be my only complaint, but I've gotten use to it. It's actually a plus when you're stuck in stop and go traffic. One thing you didn't mention is the ride; I feel it's an outstanding blend of track hero capable and comfortable DD.
I drove the M2. It's a great car. But, for the same money you get so much more in the gt350!
You can buy 3 gt350 for the price of 1 991.2gt3.
I just can't wrap my head around that.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:39 PM
Para82
Race Car

Agreed!

Glad you're loving it

Doesn't take away from the 997S either - both compliment each other perfectly I find.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:55 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Glad you're loving it

Doesn't take away from the 997S either - both compliment each other perfectly I find.
They do compliment each other well. I have a sentimental attachment to my Carrera S, but it weren't for that, the GT350 is all the car I'd really need.

I'd love to have a 991.2 GT3 manual, but I'd have to sell both the GT350 & C2S and still need an additional chunk of change to buy one. Hard for me to justify doing that, knowing the GT3 would spend more time in my garage than on a track. But with the GT350 & C2S pairing, I can drive 'em anywhere, kind of the best of both worlds.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:06 PM
Para82
Race Car

They do compliment each other well. I have a sentimental attachment to my Carrera S, but it weren't for that, the GT350 is all the car I'd really need.

I'd love to have a 991.2 GT3 manual, but I'd have to sell both the GT350 & C2S and still need an additional chunk of change to buy one. Hard for me to justify doing that, knowing the GT3 would spend more time in my garage than on a track. But with the GT350 & C2S pairing, I can drive 'em anywhere, kind of the best of both worlds.
I hear you, I convinced myself to sell the 997S last week - lasted 3 days. Day 1 listed on cargurus, Day 2 raised price $10,000. Day 3 removed listing.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:37 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 651 Likes on 365 Posts

Hello Gents/Track Junkies,

I wanted to share some details of our upcoming front Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit for the GT350! The kit we're offering GT350 owners is identical to what we've developed for the FP350S factory-built racecars. The engineers at Ford have used several development mules to put many track miles on this kit, and we recently ran it on a customer's GT350 road car. The customer was able to shave several seconds off his personal best lap time, and said he was consistently going about 10 feet deeper into each brake zone. Our kit also shaved close to 30 unsprung lbs. off the nose of his car! Our brake system shaves approximately the same amount of unsprung weight from each corner as the GT350R's carbon fiber wheel option. In January, Car and Driver wrote an interesting article on their blog about quantifying the impact of unsprung weight savings across all of the car's performance characteristics.

Not only does our kit save an enormous amount of unsprung weight, it offers an array of other benefits as well:

You can see some additional details and pics of our brake kit on the Essex Blog.

Our complete front brake kit will retail for $4,099. Please contact us if you're interested in the ultimate brake solution for your GT350.

FYI...We have a solution for the rear of the FP350S, and are currently evaluating solutions for the GT350.
                                Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
                                Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
                                Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
                                704-824-6030
                                jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 03-14-2017, 09:00 PM
                                85Gold
                                Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 461 Posts

Jeff

Will they clear 18" rims. Inquiring minds want to know.

Peter
                                Old 03-15-2017, 09:31 AM
                                JRitt@essex
                                Basic Sponsor
                                Rennlist
                                Site Sponsor

Received 651 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
                                Jeff

Will they clear 18" rims. Inquiring minds want to know.

Peter
                                Hi Peter,

Yes indeed they will fit inside many 18's! Thanks for bringing that up. That's a great point I failed to mention. With some lightweight 18" wheels and tires, you should be able to strip considerably more weight from the car.

Most manufacturers make the jump from 355mm discs up to 380mm discs. The problem with a 380mm is that they almost never fit inside 18" wheels. When we spec'd the discs for our "larger" brake kits (355x32mm was our previous largest size), we intentionally went with a 372x34mm diameter, since it's about as big as you can cram into most 18's. We added a little thermal mass by going 2mm wider on the disc. We have a ton of guys with Corvettes, M3's, etc. running our 372x34mm disc kits under 18's. Our GT350 kit will be no different. It won't clear every 18", and they will be a snug fit, but they will work with lots of 18" wheels.

We always create a downloadable wheel template for our kits, which allows you to check any wheel you're considering. We don't yet have one for this kit, but we will soon. I have two engineers out this week. I'll talk to them when they return next week and have them draw one up for this kit. I'll post back here when it's ready.

Thanks again for bringing up that point. Please check out our Essex Blog for lots of reviews on our Essex Designed AP Racing Competition Brake Kits.

Here's what they look like inside 18's:

I love the pile of brake dust in this one.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:21 PM
                                996SPECticle
                                Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it were a real problem I would have read it on RL 1st, right?
                                Must be those Tech Pack cars.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/she...-sue-ford.html

Quick Reply: GT350