GT350

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, if you think the 991 GT3 is twitchy under trail-braking, you need to try a few laps at speed in an early, air-cooled 911 with the old trailing arm suspension, preferably without a limited slip differential. That will stain your underwear and make you appreciate how stable the 991 is in comparison!

A rear engine car does need a little getting used to and a bit more delicate technique on corner entry to control rotation, but as you noticed, the corner exit ability is awesome.

TT
Old 04-17-2017, 06:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by b46
When tracking, I noticed sport mode artificially kicks you hard during upshifts - not really necessary in my opinion. I think they designed this for effect... I usually leave it in normal mode with stiff suspension on track. Much faster shifts.
+1 same here.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

I have sat down in the GT350 R at the NYC auto show. There is zero difference between the interior of a 350 and that of a Ford F-150 work truck. Perhaps besides the poorly patched up alcantara on the steering wheel and doors. The plastics Ford uses are a disgrace...terrible! I have seen softer better looking plastics in a Kia at the same show. The seating position at the lowest setting is that of a dump truck with spring seats. The gearshift feels like mixing beans in a boiling pot and the best part : THE CLUTCH! I have never felt in my life a softer clutch! It's like pressing a red hot knife through butter. It's absolutely terrible! I thought it's defective,but apparently,it is not.
The car feels huge and heavy.
Their " highly acclaimed " flat plane crank has 30-40% plastic composites. Even the oil pan is plastic! But that's the horrible norm these days with all manufacturers,even Porsche!
All in all,as I've said all along : there's a reason it costs 60 grand...
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by b46
When tracking, I noticed sport mode artificially kicks you hard during upshifts - not really necessary in my opinion. I think they designed this for effect... I usually leave it in normal mode with stiff suspension on track. Much faster shifts.
I think you're talking about the PDK-S "dynamic torque enhancement" feature of "lightning shifts." It is artificial, in a way, a matter of programming to use "stored mass moment of inertia" and a "highly dynamic adaptation of the engine speed" when changing gears. I don't think you get a "faster" shift when leaving PDK Sport mode off, it's just a smoother one, with no "boost enhancement." I kind of like it in straight-line acceleration, but it can upset the car when cornering at full throttle and shifting, especially in lower gears. If you use Manual mode (paddle shifting), however, there is no turning it off, AFAIK, even if PDK Sport is not selected. This is the tech explanation from Porsche that was put out when the 991 GT3 was introduced:

Lightning shift:
On the new 911 GT3, gear changes for a manually initiated upshift are accomplished by way of a “lightning shift” with very short response and shifting times. This function is initiated using a one-touch switch on the selector lever (M gate) or using the shift paddles on the steering wheel. As a result, gear changes on the new 911 GT3 are approximately 60% faster than on the 911 Carrera models. This is achieved thanks to maximum performance in filling the clutch-specific hydraulic system and by activating the overlap function between the closing and opening clutches at precisely the right time. The implementation of a lightning shift is the result of years of experience with the Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) in various Porsche models. During this time Porsche has been able to extensively analyze and precisely evaluate the intervention and change behavior of the clutch system in many situations and under various conditions. This has resulted in an enhanced control strategy for the complex clutch system. By controlling the clutch change in a precise and highly dynamic way, it is possible to change gears much faster. In addition, lightning shifts are implemented with a torque enhancement to improve driving performance. The dynamic torque enhancement uses the momentum and rotational energy that is present in the entire drive system during a gear change. In this process, the rotational energy (mass moment of inertia), which is stored primarily in the crankshaft, clutch module and gear wheel sets, is decelerated strongly while changing gear. This causes a brief additional torque boost in the drive system and allows a further improvement in the acceleration potential. The actual gear change occurs with high engine speed dynamics and a highly dynamic adaptation of the engine speed to the newly selected gear. The short synchronization times are in an order of magnitude that was previously reserved for motor sports.
There was quite a discussion about this feature in the GT3 forum here back in early 2015 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-button-2.html), and it's probably not really appropriate to be talking about it in a GT350 thread, so I'll shut up now.

TT
Old 04-17-2017, 08:06 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't touch a GT350R for 60k. Get real. If you don't really like it thats fine but don't sound so sour. The engine is epic, and people besides yourself LOVE them. It is what it is. To say its just like a work truck on the inside is purely absurd.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I have sat down in the GT350 R at the NYC auto show. There is zero difference between the interior of a 350 and that of a Ford F-150 work truck. Perhaps besides the poorly patched up alcantara on the steering wheel and doors. The plastics Ford uses are a disgrace...terrible! I have seen softer better looking plastics in a Kia at the same show. The seating position at the lowest setting is that of a dump truck with spring seats. The gearshift feels like mixing beans in a boiling pot and the best part : THE CLUTCH! I have never felt in my life a softer clutch! It's like pressing a red hot knife through butter. It's absolutely terrible! I thought it's defective,but apparently,it is not.
Their " highly acclaimed " flat plane crank has 30-40% plastic composites. Even the oil pan is plastic! But that's the horrible norm these days with all manufacturers,even Porsche!

Sounds like somebody got a severe beating from a GT350

Old 04-17-2017, 08:48 PM
GT3SOON
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Tranny must have been jacked. One thing everyone agrees on is the PDK-S bangs shifts both up and down with amazing quickness.
There had to be something going on with it-whether it was in the wrong setting or had issues I do not know. I was expecting the PDK to blow my mind. I have driven a GTR and that DCT felt better...I know that cannot be true.

I enjoyed my opportunity to drive the 991 GT3. Loved it. I will say this...just like meeting your hero, driving the GT3 could never live up to what I had in mind. Like every car, it has strong points and weak points. I would love an opportunity to exploit the strong points over and over again on track!!! I hold all GT3'S at an impossibly high level. Just love, love these cars...always have.

Last edited by GT3SOON; 04-17-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 04-17-2017, 08:54 PM
GT3SOON
6th Gear

I cannot disagree with you on many of your points...what can I say...Champagne tastes on Beer money!!!

Wish I could experience a GT3RS which I do not think has any cut corners!!! Someday soon!!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:58 PM
GT3SOON
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
You can't touch a GT350R for 60k. Get real. If you don't really like it thats fine but don't sound so sour. The engine is epic, and people besides yourself LOVE them. It is what it is. To say its just like a work truck on the inside is purely absurd.
I paid $81K including TTL and ADM. I could have bought a C7 Z06...I prefer the GT350R. I also own a track prepped C6 Z06.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 PM
GT3SOON
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Para82
Sounds like somebody got a severe beating from a GT350

Everyone has opinions...that's life. Trust me, I would love to be able to track GT3's, GT3RS's, 918'so and higher quality cars...who wouldn't?

Doing the best I can with what I've got. I'll get one eventually! If I didn't LOVE Porsches, I wouldn't even be on this site.

I honestly enjoy hearing everyone's opinion. Good or Bad.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3SOON
I cannot disagree with you on many of your points...what can I say...Champagne tastes on Beer money!!!

Wish I could experience a GT3RS which I do not think has any cut corners!!! Someday soon!!
Great post and attitude!
I absolutely agree with your analogy! And that is a good thing IMO! As a previous poster said,you can't buy better performance for this money! Look,I'm not a " hater ",I just think many on this forum try to be political correct. I am not always PC and I don't have many " fans ",but people that have not seen this car and read these pages perhaps need to hear the other side of the story as well. I mean...who's feeding the ADM frenzy for this car?! Seriously! And same goes for Porsche GT cars... People need to get real!
I would have no problem buying a GT350 and daily drive it. I'm sure it's great! But people need to realize what they're getting into and why it costs less. There's ALWAYS a reason! Just be prepared and you won't have any regrets for sure!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:27 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Totally has Raptor or worse interior quality. But...thats what makes it kinda cool. Its like the Honey Badger. Its there for one thing and one thing only....to make a lotta noise and go around a track quickly. For 55k-its a great ride. With that said I just couldn't swing it for my daily and got an M3 instead which I'm loving. Chipped its 500/500 and at only 3550 lbs its real fun! Thought the Gt350 might get old, but I do like the Ethos of the car.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:27 PM
GT3SOON
6th Gear

Great post and attitude!
I absolutely agree with your analogy! And that is a good thing IMO! As a previous poster said,you can't buy better performance for this money! Look,I'm not a " hater ",I just think many on this forum try to be political correct. I am not always PC and I don't have many " fans ",but people that have not seen this car and read these pages perhaps need to hear the other side of the story as well. I mean...who's feeding the ADM frenzy for this car?! Seriously! And same goes for Porsche GT cars... People need to get real!
I would have no problem buying a GT350 and daily drive it. I'm sure it's great! But people need to realize what they're getting into and why it costs less. There's ALWAYS a reason! Just be prepared and you won't have any regrets for sure!
Thank You!!
Old 04-18-2017, 03:55 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope the Shelby GT350 is not a 991 GT3 and Ford can not compete with Porsche when it comes to build quality. But for what it is, the GT350 is one heck of a car. The fact that there are 164 pages (and growing) about the GT350 on a Porsche 991 GT3/GT3RS/911 R forum speaks volumes about the car.

As much as I'd love to own a 911 GT3 some day, the GT350 has met and exceeded my expectations to the point where I just don't lust after the GT3 as I once did.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Same here I could easily get into a 997/991 GT3 (which would be awesome too) but I personally much rather pair up a GT350 with a 997S - having so much fun.

Quick Reply: GT350