Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quikag
It's because the Corvette doesn't need race seats, harnesses, and a roll bar to work over the majority of P-cars on the track. Jason's Katech car could outrun every P-car on the market short of a Cup car with or without race seats.
Such a smart comment ... nothing to do with speed, but with safety.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:12 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

It's all messed up, same happened to my posts...
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
If it's just a harness bar, you are still an idiot for wearing a hans and and driving a car that fast with zero roll protection.

Not speaking in judgement though. I've been an idiot, and still am until I get a full cage.
I'll trust the stock rollover protection in my ZR1 for the time being. The factory halo is very, very robust. One reason I am now only going to race seats is I'd rather have the side airbags (built into the factory seats) and the factory designed protection versus cobbling together an aftermarket solution that isn't going to be as well integrated and engineered as the factory set-up. I am going to a race seat now because I am tired of holding onto the wheel for dear life and bracing my elbow against the door panel with the stock seats in hard corners, not for any perceived safety benefits.

A lot of you guys seem to think that an HPDE/TT car needs a full roll cage, window netting, lexan window panels, etc. to keep from dying. I respectfully disagree. The tracks I run around here, I have a greater chance of a rollover driving to and from work in my CTS-V than I do driving on the track in my ZR1. DFW traffic and drivers are iffy at best. I trust my car and my fellow track drivers on track much more than around town driving even if I'm driving a lot faster on the track.

I got the HANS because I watched the videos showing the neck trauma from wearing a six-point harness with and without a HANS. I'm going HANS for that reason, not because of a some perceived rollover death risk.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

bottom line, corvette is cheap and fast and one of the best bang for the money as far as DE goes

Take a look at this "pretty" C5 that's 10 seconds faster than a GT3 RS at Thunderhill. My Z06 does 1:56 at the same track but I am not pushing as hard

Old 04-09-2013, 06:09 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I'll trust the stock rollover protection in my ZR1 for the time being. The factory halo is very, very robust. One reason I am now only going to race seats is I'd rather have the side airbags (built into the factory seats) and the factory designed protection versus cobbling together an aftermarket solution that isn't going to be as well integrated and engineered as the factory set-up. I am going to a race seat now because I am tired of holding onto the wheel for dear life and bracing my elbow against the door panel with the stock seats in hard corners, not for any perceived safety benefits.

A lot of you guys seem to think that an HPDE/TT car needs a full roll cage, window netting, lexan window panels, etc. to keep from dying. I respectfully disagree. The tracks I run around here, I have a greater chance of a rollover driving to and from work in my CTS-V than I do driving on the track in my ZR1. DFW traffic and drivers are iffy at best. I trust my car and my fellow track drivers on track much more than around town driving even if I'm driving a lot faster on the track.

I got the HANS because I watched the videos showing the neck trauma from wearing a six-point harness with and without a HANS. I'm going HANS for that reason, not because of a some perceived rollover death risk.
Where is Veloce Raptor when you need a face palm ....
Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

doublepost

Last edited by Quikag; 04-09-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Where is Veloce Raptor when you need a face palm ....
Yeah...

I put a full cage in my weakling 240 hp M3 when I really started going fast in it years ago. It sure isn't as fast as a ZR1...but if I blow a RF tire heading into T1 at TWS at top speed of 135...and the wheel digs into the track surface...a rollover is a very real possibility.

My life is worth the couple grand I paid for a full welded in cage.

Anyone who thinks it can't happen to them in a DE is DElusional.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 12-04-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by mikymu
bottom line, corvette is cheap and fast and one of the best bang for the money as far as DE goes

Take a look at this "pretty" C5 that's 10 seconds faster than a GT3 RS at Thunderhill. My Z06 does 1:56 at the same track but I am not pushing as hard

Well he has about 100-150lbs less than a GT3RS and 80WHP less than a well sorted 3.8RS.... where is the magic ? How is the car with H pattern same tires 10 sec faster ?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO ... don't put too much trust on your factory halo. It will not protect you in a roll over. I seen enough roll over on the track to know. Take a look at this car behind the tow truck. No, it's not a convertible. It was a coupe in a roll over and the roof line smash down to the door. I know the driver and he is one of my friend. He was very lucky to survive the accident but don't trust luck. It may not always be on your side

Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Mikymu is correct.

Eddie, you and I crossposted.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yeah...

I put a full cage in my weakling 240 hp M3 when I really started going fast in it years ago. It sure isn't as fast as a ZR1...but if I blow a RF tire heading into T1 at TWS at top speed of 135...and the wheel digs into the track surface...a rollover is a very real possibility.

EPIC !
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yeah...

Okay, if I drive my Zr1 50/50 at HPDE/TT and around town, should I go ahead and put a full cage in it. How will that cage work for me around town without a helmet? Or should I start wearing my helmet around town?

You guys are trying to make a multiple scenario situation squeeze into a one size fits all deal. I've run HPDE for over 12 years with no issues and I don't drive slow. If I were doing wheel to wheel, I'd have a race car and a cage. As it stands, I have a street car that is fairly quick that I run 5-7 HPDE events a year and am now starting to get into time trials. I am not putting a cage into my 2010 Corvette ZR1 at this juncture.

Call me an idiot or whatever you want, but I'll take my chances at this point. If I blow a tire at 155mph coming into T1 at TWS and I flip a hundred times and die, so be it. Also, I didn't know a rollcage made a car completely indestructible. Pretty sweet. I should call some car manufacturers and tell them, maybe start with Volvo since their corporate mantra is all about safety.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

How about a roll BAR, sport?

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 12-04-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Okay, if I drive my Zr1 50/50 at HPDE/TT and around town, should I go ahead and put a full cage in it. How will that cage work for me around town without a helmet? Or should I start wearing my helmet around town?

You guys are trying to make a multiple scenario situation squeeze into a one size fits all deal. I've run HPDE for over 12 years with no issues and I don't drive slow. If I were doing wheel to wheel, I'd have a race car and a cage. As it stands, I have a street car that is fairly quick that I run 5-7 HPDE events a year and am now starting to get into time trials. I am not putting a cage into my 2010 Corvette ZR1 at this juncture.

Call me an idiot or whatever you want, but I'll take my chances at this point. If I blow a tire at 155mph coming into T1 at TWS and I flip a hundred times and die, so be it. Also, I didn't know a rollcage made a car completely indestructible. Pretty sweet. I should call some car manufacturers and tell them, maybe start with Volvo since their corporate mantra is all about safety.
Really ???
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Really ???
Eddie, as the sheriff said in Cool Hand Luke: some men you just can't reach...

Quick Reply: New Corvette...