Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Eddie, as the sheriff said in Cool Hand Luke: some men you just can't reach...
Agreed, only sad because this is serious stuff. I'm the first one to say that the speeds that these street cars are today, could easily end in a fatality.
Just for reference our cars are as fast a 2004 GT3 Cup .... give or take a second.
Don't need to say much more right ?
I've been lucky ... wasn't so lucky in the past, destroyed a car and walked away with bruises on a hill climb.
Getting older and the nuts are not yet shirking but the reason is getting higher, so...
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quik, I actually had a smart **** response but it wouldn't let me post at the time and I got tired of trying over and over
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Really ???
Just so I understand you all correctly, every single car that does a track day should have a roll cage or some form of rollover protection beyond what came from the factory? What if said roll cage or rollover protection ends up killing someone because their head bounces off the bar while not wearing a helmet around town?

I guess 85-90% of the cars that run Driver's Edge here have owners that are some stupid asses for not having a full cage, race seats, HANS, fire suits, fire suppression systems, etc. in their car.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I won't waste my time to educate you in this matter, as you don't seem to get it.
The easy explanation is, for a car that is as fast as a ZR-1 driven hard (I assume you don't as you don't even see the possibility of a accident) the chances of getting injured is high. If you don't have any kind of safety device, is higher.
Good luck and I hope you're not the one to prove me right.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Thank you for your concern. Maybe I'll stop taking risks altogether and hide in my house and live off the Obama assistance programs.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

There you go !
Go play chess.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quikag
Thank you for your concern. Maybe I'll stop taking risks altogether and hide in my house and live off the Obama assistance programs.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Just so I understand you all correctly, every single car that does a track day should have a roll cage or some form of rollover protection beyond what came from the factory? What if said roll cage or rollover protection ends up killing someone because their head bounces off the bar while not wearing a helmet around town?

I guess 85-90% of the cars that run Driver's Edge here have owners that are some stupid asses for not having a full cage, race seats, HANS, fire suits, fire suppression systems, etc. in their car.
Dude, stop being so defensive. No one is trying to disrespect you.

You track a freaking ZR1 for God's sake...on slicks. Some sort of roll protection--even a simple roll bar--is in YOUR best interests at the speeds & lap times you are running.

Come on... Stop being a drama queen.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well he has about 100-150lbs less than a GT3RS and 80WHP less than a well sorted 3.8RS.... where is the magic ? How is the car with H pattern same tires 10 sec faster ?
I am still trying to figure out how he did it. He has similar straight line speed and time compare with my Z05 which has 140 more horse power and we are running same R6 tires. I was told he is one hell of a driver which makes the super fast lap time possible

btw ... last couple posts reminded me of M3forum lol
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Mikymu, same straight lines speeds .... hum .... maybe the car has more HP than claimed ???
There is a limit from what a driver can do.

about the posts .... it's just hard sometimes....

I'm looking forward to drive a Z06. I only drove 1 once, and on the streets, car made 590WHP and I was under the impression that it wasn't that fast, until I figured how long the gears were.
I ended up with a GT2 instead... going to either direction again soon.
Without a roll bar of course.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu

btw ... last couple posts reminded me of M3forum lol

Ain't that the truth. No mercy at teh m3f.net for sure.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 PM
McD2esus
Banned

The Z06 version or what ever they end up calling it will be devastating!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mikymu, same straight lines speeds .... hum .... maybe the car has more HP than claimed ???
There is a limit from what a driver can do.

about the posts .... it's just hard sometimes....

I'm looking forward to drive a Z06. I only drove 1 once, and on the streets, car made 590WHP and I was under the impression that it wasn't that fast, until I figured how long the gears were.
I ended up with a GT2 instead... going to either direction again soon.
Without a roll bar of course.
I compared his lap from turn to turn and he was just as fast on the straight as my Z06 and faster at couple turns which is not surprising since I am not pushing that hard. Either he has more Hp than shown or the car is much lighter (mine weigh 3150 lbs) but we can't argue that he has excellent driving skill.

These stock ZR1/Z06 have very bad setup from factory and not derivable on track. They have zero camber and the huge 7.0L drivetrain sway from side to side on acceleration due to mush mellow engine/tranny mounts. All it need is few mods and you will dominate on the track.

Originally Posted by zirrah

Ain't that the truth. No mercy at teh m3f.net for sure.
I started out on M3forum and can't tell you how many times I got flamed for no reason. I have thick callus now and nothing phase me

Originally Posted by McD2esus
The Z06 version or what ever they end up calling it will be devastating!
Yes, it will be a monster for sure but will take couple years for GM to work out all the bugs

Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 PM
werks
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikymu
true but not very safe. Plus it will scare the crap out of any passenger buckle down in the sofa. I had more people telling me they will never take a ride in a corvette without six point harness .... kind of like this poor soul lol

Lol, that picture was taken at Autobahn during Katechs Track Attack event and that girl in the passenger seat was actually having a blast! I will agree with you though that these cars need harnesses and cage. Jason's car though you have to remember was not built to really be a track toy, it is more of a really built up street car that they use to test fit prototype parts on and use for development. He brings the car to events more for a display purpose and might take it out for 1 or 2 sessions. His car however is extremely fast with a power to weight ratio of something like 4.3lbs/hp! We went to an event together at VIR last June and he was hitting 160+ on the back straight after the oak tree/turn 11!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

She may have been having a blast but the car should have been black flagged for her arm outside the window.

Quick Reply: New Corvette...