Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

Chevy unveil the Camaro Z/28 at NY auto show. Has diff, trans, brake coolers. High-revving LS7 making 500hp. Optional A/C, thinner glass and a single speaker sound system with other weight saving measures. Call it a track car for the street. Or was it a street car for the track?

CAMARO Z/28 ON AUTOBLOG
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
Chevy unveil the Camaro Z/28 at NY auto show. Has diff, trans, brake coolers. High-revving LS7 making 500hp. Optional A/C, thinner glass and a single speaker sound system with other weight saving measures. Call it a track car for the street. Or was it a street car for the track?

CAMARO Z/28 ON AUTOBLOG
very nice and love to run against one of these Camaro on the track. I try out one of these Camaro and roof line is too low. My head was hitting the roof and the seat was all the way lowered

Last edited by mikymu; 03-27-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah !!!

A Camaro with a 500+ V8 7.0L engine, a manual transmission, standard CCM brakes, Recaro seats compatible with race harnesses, and Pirelli Trofeo R rubber, I smell Porsche smack down at the Nurburgring by a Camaro, an entry level coupe, not even the top dog Corvette.

VW is going down !!! with all the gizmos in the 991-wannabe-GT3-991.

- Differential cooler
- Transmission cooler
- Brake coolers
- CCM brakes
- No trunk carpet
- No insulation
- All speakers removed but one (because the seat belt chime is mandatory)
- A/C is optional
- Thinner glass rear window
- Pirelli Trofeo R
- and a manual transmission

GM listens to their customers, proudly made in the USA for the American track crowd (they are not afraid to say track use).

The only Porsches I'm buying from now on are:

- Replacement fresher Cayenne Turbos when my current Cayenne Turbo maintenance bill matches resale price.
- Old LWB 911 up to 1989. I hope to have enough local storage for all of them, as I'm thinking dozens.
- an unmolested, clean, pristine CGT

My GT3 money is going SRT or Chevy, and my Fiat money will stay Fiat.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

Yeah !!!

A Camaro with a 500+ V8 7.0L engine, a manual transmission, standard CCM brakes, Recaro seats compatible with race harnesses, and Pirelli Trofeo R rubber, I smell Porsche smack down at the Nurburgring by a Camaro, an entry level coupe, not even the top dog Corvette.

VW is going down !!! with all the gizmos in the 991-wannabe-GT3-991.

- Differential cooler
- Transmission cooler
- Brake coolers
- CCM brakes
- No trunk carpet
- No insulation
- All speakers removed but one (because the seat belt chime is mandatory)
- A/C is optional
- Thinner glass rear window
- Pirelli Trofeo R
- and a manual transmission

GM listens to their customers, proudly made in the USA for the American track crowd (they are not afraid to say track use).

The only Porsches I'm buying from now on are:

- Replacement fresher Cayenne Turbos when my current Cayenne Turbo maintenance bill matches resale price.
- Old LWB 911 up to 1989. I hope to have enough local storage for all of them, as I'm thinking dozens.
- an unmolested, clean, pristine CGT

My GT3 money is going SRT or Chevy, and my Fiat money will stay Fiat.
You got it Rad!

I just posted on the other Z28 thread. This is a badass monster and Porsche is going to wind up crushed by its own hubris.

See the size in mm on those Z28 brake rotors?? As I say when I am very excited- F*uckin Aye! Well done GM! Cannot believe I am writing those words.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

HA ! with 3500LBS better have EVERYTHING really big !!! Engine, suspension tires, brakes and pockets !!!

No thank you !
Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
HA ! with 3500LBS better have EVERYTHING really big !!! Engine, suspension tires, brakes and pockets !!!

No thank you !
Nothing wrong with showing some love to a big girl! Especially when very pretty and a cheap date
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Love the approach, but I love the light weight of a Corvette much more.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by savyboy
Nothing wrong with showing some love to a big girl! Especially when very pretty and a cheap date
made my day
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR

No thank you !
Disposable, cheap, track car.

Less than 400 lbs apart from a no options 991-Wannabe-GT3, but you can buy 4 of these for the price of one wannabe.

If that car can do 1:35-1:36 at Laguna (exceeding the performance of a Pro driven 3.8 GT3 RS), it will run sub 2:20s at Sebring bone stock.

Don't forget that headers/intake make massive power on the 7.0L Z06 engine (there are 60Hp easy), and you can strip it, cage it, and make it faster.

Thanks GM for lowering the price of CCM rotors. They share the rotors with Fiat, Audi, Mercedes, Aston and McLaren.

Trakcar 7.0
Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Less than 400 lbs apart from a no options 991-Wannabe-GT3, but you can buy 4 of these for the price of one wannabe.
Yup!

Plus...

As I recall, tracking the GT3/Cup runs $3000-4000 an hour (If you are being honest and including everything).

Replacement parts for GM, Ford are ridiculously cheap. Unlike PMNA/Porsche buttrape.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 817 Likes on 469 Posts

Hmmm the seats I saw did not have a center hole for 6 point belts and on 1st glance the shoulder pass thru looked a little wide. You are also smoking crack if you think it will run anywhere close to 2:20 at Sebring without major improvements. That being said I like the new rear and applaud the push to lose weight. All around decent street car that could do occasional track day ala Boss 302 without the clutch/electrical limp mode issues and brake pads that last for more than 5 30 min sessions. Hope they fixed the LS 7 valve train issues.

Peter
Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

If that car can do 1:35-1:36 at Laguna (exceeding the performance of a Pro driven 3.8 GT3 RS), it will run sub 2:20s at Sebring bone stock.

Don't forget that headers/intake make massive power on the 7.0L Z06 engine (there are 60Hp easy), and you can strip it, cage it, and make it faster.

Thanks GM for lowering the price of CCM rotors. They share the rotors with Fiat, Audi, Mercedes, Aston and McLaren.

Trakcar 7.0
They are not as cheap as you think, maybe you can buy 2 at the price of the new 991GTS.. Itbwont hold up, it's not easy to take weight out and leave it street able.

Originally Posted by savyboy
Yup!

Plus...

As I recall, tracking the GT3/Cup runs $3000-4000 an hour (If you are being honest and including everything).

Replacement parts for GM, Ford are ridiculously cheap. Unlike PMNA/Porsche buttrape.
Wow, wow. Pete, hang on! dont ride the Rad pipe too deep..
A few weeks ago it seems he was advertising Fiats to be cheap to run on track

Can you send me some of what you're having please? You seem to be having agreat day
i can understand your build in the USA euforia with your fantastic new shiny Ram truck in the driveway and I applaud Chevys effort, but its a 3800 lb 3 lap car. Can't compare to a track worthy GT3 forget CUP. A factory CUP fast race car from ford or Chevy is almost as expensive to buy and cost probably the same to run. Don't think you can run even a Mustang for less than a GT3. Any race car this side of a Miata (it's not really a race car that's why) costs a lot to run.

Still half price is half price, but I think Corvettes will prove to be too
Expensive to run. Forget the transformer mobile...

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Hmmm the seats I saw did not have a center hole for 6 point belts and on 1st glance the shoulder pass thru looked a little wide. You are also smoking crack if you think it will run anywhere close to 2:20 at Sebring without major improvements. That being said I like the new rear and applaud the push to lose weight. All around decent street car that could do occasional track day ala Boss 302 without the clutch/electrical limp mode issues and brake pads that last for more than 5 30 min sessions. Hope they fixed the LS 7 valve train issues.

Peter
Crack is it?
But I have to concur until I prove otherwise.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold

Peter
The Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition ran a 1:41 at Laguna Seca (with autocrosser turned pro-driver Randy Pobst). The LS edition is faster than your Boss 302 due to multiple tricks (aero, grippy tires, suspension). Your Boss 302 would not do better than 1:42-1:43 with the same pro driver compared to the LS edition with R-comp tires and aero bits.

This Camaro has more than enough equipment to justify the 1:35-1:36 lap time at Laguna Seca, using the ZL1 lap time (1:39.1) as a reference.

If this Z28 can lap 7 secs faster than your Boss at Laguna Seca, it can lap Sebring 10 secs faster than your Boss.

If I recall, Mr. Sideways which is not a Pro-Randy-Pobst driver lapped on a very hot day in the 2:28 range with your Boss 302. Colder Sebring temperatures would allow the Ian to go even faster, 2:26-2:27 would be in his target times on colder conditions.

...now imagine what a 10 secs faster car can do at Sebring.

It comes equipped with a mother load of coolers (transmission, differential, brakes), and a dry sump engine. It comes with Aero, and using the ZL1 confirmed weight with no fuel, this Z28 should hit the scales in the low 3,600 lbs range with no fuel.

Ford is stuck in the drag racing war, while SRT and GM are heading in our hobby direction.

Quit the Pony!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I think we are directionally agreeing....
Porsche is heading wrong, others right, but it remains to be seen if ANYONE can match the best we ever had, the GT3RS. Not perfect but the best.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
They are not as cheap as you think, maybe you can buy 2 at the price of the new 991GTS.. Itbwont hold up, it's not easy to take weight out and leave it street able.

Wow, wow. Pete, hang on! dont ride the Rad pipe too deep..
A few weeks ago it seems he was advertising Fiats to be cheap to run on track

Can you send me some of what you're having please? You seem to be having agreat day
i can understand your build in the USA euforia with your fantastic new shiny Ram truck in the driveway and I applaud Chevys effort, but its a 3800 lb 3 lap car. Can't compare to a track worthy GT3 forget CUP. A factory CUP fast race car from ford or Chevy is almost as expensive to buy and cost probably the same to run. Don't think you can run even a Mustang for less than a GT3. Any race car this side of a Miata (it's not really a race car that's why) costs a lot to run.

Still half price is half price, but I think Corvettes will prove to be too
Expensive to run. Forget the transformer mobile...

Crack is it?
But I have to concur until I prove otherwise.
yo Trakcar, GM cannot price the Z28 over the ZL1. ZL1 is the top of the line, and you can walk away with brand new ZL1 sitting on GM dealers for low 40s today, they even give you back free tax money in the form of close to 0% finance.

Weight with no fuel (assuming they lost 300 lbs over the ZL1) should be at 3,633 lbs. The 991 GT3 is expected to gain 77 lbs over the 997.2 GT3, so no fuel weight is expected at 3,237 lbs. Yes, a good 400 lbs difference.

But on the Chevy you can still replace the exhaust parts (typically heavy), and remove the rear seats. Put a set of nice race seats and lighter wheels: on the cheap.

They might price this car in the high 40s, low 50s, before employee-discount, and tax-back-free-loan-money. That's 3 Z28 for 1 991-Wannabe-GT3, or 4 Z28 if you put CCB to the Wannabe-GT3 and a few carbon options (standard in the Z28).

Is not half price, half price is the C7 (which excites me more given the direction GM is going, so a C7 with this Z28 treatment, call it Z06 or anything else would get me to the local dealer right now), it is 1/3 the price and close to 25% the price of the wannabe.

Cheap Trakcar.

Quick Reply: New Corvette...