NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I might just buy a Z28 and....

- Run a season of DE Cup
- make many videos with point-by from Aero Beetles
- make many videos with point-by from many Wannabe-Aero Beetles
- flood YouTube with Porsche Kill videos (with a Camaro, too funny)
- elevate the GM forums to Porsche obliteration
- send web links to AP and teammates translated to German
- produce one of those videos with the crying fuhrer GM vs. VW.
- take pictures of a 2014 car with a manual transmission
- take pictures of a car with standard CCM brakes with an affordable price tag
- take pictures of a car with real carbon fiber standard parts
- Take down Eddie's Sebring 2013 DE Cup World Series Championship record at Sebring with a Camaro, and send Betamax tape for Hannibal to watch
- Burn-outs videos!!!
- Drag Racing videos!!!
...then bring it back to GM dealer, trade-in for C7-Track version and get another my-taxes-back-free-loan-Government-Motors at 0% APR.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Or you can buy 10 of these.
New 48v engine may debut hat Homestead with PBOC: www.trakcar.com il let you test drive it first. Well swap cars for a session. I don't fit in a Cayman.

I only still see 2new, warranteed options for 2015/16 and that is a C7 or 991RS if they turn the GT3 brand around and start racing the stuff in a hurry.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

- Run a season of DE Cup
- Take down Eddie's Sebring 2013 DE Cup World Series Championship record at Sebring with a Camaro, and send Betamax tape for Hannibal to watch
- Burn-outs videos!!!
- Drag Racing videos!!!
...then bring it back to GM dealer, trade-in for C7-Track version and get another my-taxes-back-free-loan-Government-Motors at 0% APR.
You may have a chance for only 15k more with the Corvette. It cost more to make the Camaro work..
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Porsche is great
but at current pricing the
they will have to do 1:00 flat,at LS to make sense.
I think that's about the speed of stealth fighter
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Run a season of DE Cup
- Burn-outs videos!!!
- Drag Racing videos!!!

Yesterday it would have read like a joke, today it reads as likely. How things change!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You may have a chance for only 15k more with the Corvette. It cost more to make the Camaro work..
Maybe not with the new Z28? Will be interesting on track in 2014, that is for darn sure eh?

Originally Posted by mooty
Porsche is great
but at current pricing the
they will have to do 1:00 flat,at LS to make sense.
I think that's about the speed of stealth fighter
Every day it looks more and more true. Wow.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Rad on this one. Some of you guys have a misconception that a 3600-3800 lb car can't be tracked all day. That is patently false with today's racing technology. ACR-X's still weigh 3300-3400 lbs and run all day. Plenty of race cars well over 3000 lbs racing. Racing pads, racing fluid and 6 piston calipers and a little cooling will go all day. Especially with CCB's. My 3700 lbs TT ran 1:33-1:35 all day at Road Atlanta in the summer, 2:07-2:09 my first time at VIR all session every session for 3 days Barber all day, CMP all day. I haven't always done Time Trials.

The Centennial Edition Z06 was a portly 3350+ lbs and there are plenty of GT3's running around with front lift its etc. at 3300-3400 lbs. The Viper is well over 3300 and the ZR1 too, and up to well into the 3400's. This Z-28 will be capable of front running DE cup times, especially on Trofeo R's which are significantly faster than the DE Cup mix and match tires.

And that's before TSB's. Let's add 20k in TSB's like some of DE cup. Maybe some aero, racing seats, and headers exhaust. Now it's 500 whp, 500ft lbs of torque, lighter, and that can assuredly run WAY under 2:20 at Sebring.

More worried about it blowing up with that LS7 in it.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

The Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition ran a 1:41 at Laguna Seca (with autocrosser turned pro-driver Randy Pobst). The LS edition is faster than your Boss 302 due to multiple tricks (aero, grippy tires, suspension). Your Boss 302 would not do better than 1:42-1:43 with the same pro driver compared to the LS edition with R-comp tires and aero bits.

This Camaro has more than enough equipment to justify the 1:35-1:36 lap time at Laguna Seca, using the ZL1 lap time (1:39.1) as a reference.

If this Z28 can lap 7 secs faster than your Boss at Laguna Seca, it can lap Sebring 10 secs faster than your Boss.

If I recall, Mr. Sideways which is not a Pro-Randy-Pobst driver lapped on a very hot day in the 2:28 range with your Boss 302. Colder Sebring temperatures would allow the Ian to go even faster, 2:26-2:27 would be in his target times on colder conditions.

...now imagine what a 10 secs faster car can do at Sebring.

It comes equipped with a mother load of coolers (transmission, differential, brakes), and a dry sump engine. It comes with Aero, and using the ZL1 confirmed weight with no fuel, this Z28 should hit the scales in the low 3,600 lbs range with no fuel.

Ford is stuck in the drag racing war, while SRT and GM are heading in our hobby direction.

Quit the Pony!!!
Rad

Off our meds are we. If its so great then buy one and prove it. Get one with no AC so it will be as light as possible then show us how it's done. Put you $$$$$ where your mouth is.

Peter
Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I'm with Rad on this one. Some of you guys have a misconception that a 3600-3800 lb car can't be tracked all day. That is patently false with today's racing technology. ACR-X's still weigh 3300-3400 lbs and run all day. Plenty of race cars well over 3000 lbs racing. Racing pads, racing fluid and 6 piston calipers and a little cooling will go all day. Especially with CCB's. My 3700 lbs TT ran 1:33-1:35 all day at Road Atlanta in the summer, 2:07-2:09 my first time at VIR all session every session for 3 days Barber all day, CMP all day. I haven't always done Time Trials.

The Centennial Edition Z06 was a portly 3350+ lbs and there are plenty of GT3's running around with front lift its etc. at 3300-3400 lbs. The Viper is well over 3300 and the ZR1 too, and up to well into the 3400's. This Z-28 will be capable of front running DE cup times, especially on Trofeo R's which are significantly faster than the DE Cup mix and match tires.

And that's before TSB's. Let's add 20k in TSB's like some of DE cup. Maybe some aero, racing seats, and headers exhaust. Now it's 500 whp, 500ft lbs of torque, lighter, and that can assuredly run WAY under 2:20 at Sebring.

More worried about it blowing up with that LS7 in it.
As Savy says, it will be interesting, but I can't believe that a Chevy that is that heavy can survive. You just kill it. Adding power would just make it worse. The lighter better Corvette does not even hold up, but I have hopes for the C7. It's not that much more and will be faster and a better starting point.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Rad

Off our meds are we. If its so great then buy one and prove it. Get one with no AC so it will be as light as possible then show us how it's done. Put you $$$$$ where your mouth is.

Peter
I'll try it, just need to find the time
Rad and Dez agreeing with Savy egging them on. It's like the twilight zone here since the 991GTS and C7 debuts.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

the Z06 Camaro on DOT tires will have to really work for a 2:20 at Sebring....

Afterall, it is just a heavier Z06 Corvette, i mean more powerful Camaro SS, sorry i meant under powered Camaro ZL1....
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Rad check it out. Close to home.
Cheap. Also,shows you what it may take to keep a Corvette running on track:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-dsom-z51.html

Summary below

Although I hate to part ways with the car, I'm selling my 2005 DSOM Z51 and moving on to a dedicated track car. Hard to find color, 6 speed manual. Car has HUD, sattelite radio, heated seats, side airbags... all options except Navigation. The car also has 41,6xx miles on it with the following mods:

- Dry sump LS3 from a 2012 GS installed 2k miles ago. Motor has 3100 miles on it. Dyno'd 407/421 at 1100 miles on a Mustang dyno. Hand built motor, forged crank, sodium filled exhaust valves
- Lingenfelter 58x to 24x conversion box
- Lingnefelter upgraded 11 Qt dry sump tank
- ChromeMoly pushrods
- Lunatti dual valve springs
- LG street series headers, no cats
- Spark plug heat shield boots
- MSD spark plug wires
- Borla Touring exhaust
- Halltech Killer Bee CAI
- Avaid dry sump tank baffle
- Braile battery relocated to trunk (to fit dry sump tank)
- EE Catch Can
- Z06 oil cooler
- Pfadt poly bushings
- Pfadt camber kit
- Pfadt gen 1 coilovers
- LG T1 sway bars with adjustable end links
- Walbro 255 fuel pump
- Quantum Fog light brake cooling
- Stoptech SS brake lines
- Stoptech ST-60/ST-40 BBK with 2 piece aero rotors, functional E-brake (not currently on car, but will be reinstalled prior to sale)
- Carbotech Bobcat street pads and XP-12/XP-10 track pads
- MGW shifter
- Turn 1 steering pump
- Color matched door handles
- Color matched ZR1 spoiler
- TSW Nurburging 18x9 and 19x10.5 rims
- Trunk mat and cargo cover
- DTE tranny brace
- Brey Hrause harness bar
- Custom C6 seats to accomodate 6 point harnesses (allows airbags to still work)
- Schroth 6 point harness in each seat (pass harness expired, but works fine for HPDE)
- Rebuilt torque tube bearings
- Z06 stock clutch with remote bleed
- CCA racing pedals
- new Amsoil fluids (rear diff, tranny, engine oil) in the last 100 miles
- Tinted windows
- Comp Cams trunion Upgrade
- ARP head and flywheel bolts
- JW driver seat padding upgrade
- Hinson motor mounts

I'm sure there are plenty more that I'm forgetting. I have all upgrade receipts, records and dyno sheets. I can replace most of the car back to stock if you like but will take some time to locate stock parts. The car has been slowly setup for the track, but is getting far too expensive to continue (cheaper to buy already setup caged track car). Car runs very well and has recently run a 1:39 at Homestead on Hoosiers in full street weight. There aren't many cars that can keep up with her on the track and I've seen 1.3-1.4 G's on the track. Also comes with a set of C5Z 18x10.5 wheels on Yokohama 280/650/18 front and 280/680/18 rear tires. They have TPMS installed and I have only put 8 laps on them (1 heat cycle from me). They were bought as scrubs with 1 heat cycle on them last week - plenty of life still in them.

Looking for $32k as is (with extra set of wheels and tires) or price can be reduced by replacing mods with stock parts. Feel free to PM me for more info or questions.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm sitting here in a restaurant in Jackson MS LMAO while reading this on my phone. Seriously sell the Coxster get the Z28... Seriously good plan! My point by is waiting for you.

- Run a season of DE Cup
- Burn-outs videos!!!
- Drag Racing videos!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
As Savy says, it will be interesting, but I can't believe that a Chevy that is that heavy can survive. You just kill it. Adding power would just make it worse. The lighter better Corvette does not even hold up, but I have hopes for the C7. It's not that much more and will be faster and a better starting point.
Just modify the heads and add larger core radiator and you should be good to go. All for less than $4K. Even if it blows up a replacement engine is less than $10k.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it good news they are using that ls7 in that new Camero, might keep it alive for the c7 z06 instead of some sort of FI, I think it's a good motor and its cheap to upgrade valve springs before you have problems. Cam, valve springs, headers you have 550+ at the rear wheels.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:12 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
the Z06 Camaro on DOT tires will have to really work for a 2:20 at Sebring....

Afterall, it is just a heavier Z06 Corvette, i mean more powerful Camaro SS, sorry i meant under powered Camaro ZL1....
You guys are spoiled down there. A lightly modded (wing, splitter, headers exhaust, few suspension tweaks and tires) Z06 will run 2:10-2:12 down there with a good Sebring driver easily. Probably sub 2:10. Easily as fast as imsa cup gold class and likely platinum with some talent behind the wheel.

You guys just dont have any talent down there in lightly modded Z06's. The camaro is not 10 seconds slower with decent track prep.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:10 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Or they did, but they gave up.

There is a reason GT3's outnumber all the other, often faster and much cheaper to buy but much more expensive to run track cars. GT3 is better.

We are looking at the others now, only because when warranty runs out on the GT3's the new 991GTS has lost our interest as a track car option. My hope for a 991RS is dim, but my deposit stands for now while we start testing once again the cheaper cars to buy. Only way to find out is to take them on track.

It could very well prove to be that in 2017 and on, the GT3's prove to still be the car to have for track days. How fast you want to go depends as always on $$, speed costs money, but durability and fun feel may have ended at 991.

Quick Reply: New Corvette...