Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 10:59 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I can understand build quality and that you like what you like. Porsche guys and Vette guys aren't generally the same. However if you are somehow a Car Guy or a sports car enthusiast you have to recognize both have some strong points.

But the even better part against Corvettes that I had never heard in 20 years of racing was that somehow it wasn't right that they have more Hp and pass down the straight away. Ha that is both hilarious and ridiculous at every level except micro managed racing. I truly heard that for the first time on RL some time in my early days. Im sure coffee was spit all over me. I never knew any guys from mini racing and go carts to the top that didn't want more power and that had any problem blowing by you down a straight away if you didn't have it. Guys got hot with each other about a block or brake check in a corner - but I never heard "You bastridge you passed me down a straight " . . .

I guarantee Richard Petty or Mario or AJ or Dale Earnhardt or Senna or Schumaker or Hamilton . . or the kid down the block cares nothing about that. If he can pass you down the straight away then that's too bad for you and you are in the way as it is part of every race track there is.

Chevy is making an effort and I like that. Might be the end of the Camaro though.
Well the C7's are just fantastic cars period. Have you seen what dealers have been willing to take in recent months to get the last C7's off their lots?? Oh, and they come already "loaded up" from the factory. The interiors are clean, attractive and functional. Jesus people. There's nothing on the planet that can touch it. Two Vettes in the driveway or 1 base model 911, with enough $$$ left over to take wifey to the Caribbean for 1/2 the winter. Umm, really people? i still don't get all the hate for the Vette, what it brings, and what it represents vs the price to obtain & maintain. It's an incredible bargain. And if some piece of plastic isn't to your liking, you can have it re-done in Carbon. Try ordering a few upgrades on your next 911. LOL.
The following 2 users liked this post by odurandina:
abarthguy (07-13-2019), Santi (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

What ever.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 441 Posts

i still don't get all the hate for the Vette
Your on a Porsche forum, which pretty much explains it.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:35 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
I've driven C4s and C5s. Decent cars - but not something I'd own, unless just for track use. YMMV
C4, C5 vs C7 vs C8..... night + night vs day/omg this is great vs ????
i wouldn't own a C4, or 5 either.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
C4, C5 vs C7 vs C8..... night + night vs day/omg this is great vs ????
i wouldn't own a C4, or 5 either.
Big deal. I'm not comparing them. Unfortunately, I have not been given a chance to drive a C6 or C7. Have you?
Old 07-10-2019, 12:09 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Yes. Of course. Both. The C6 is a great driving car w/ an awful interior.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Well the C7's are just fantastic cars period. . . . Oh, and they come already "loaded up" from the factory. The interiors are clean, attractive and functional. Jesus people. There's nothing on the planet that can touch it. . . . Umm, really people? i still don't get all the hate for the Vette, what it brings, and what it represents vs the price to obtain & maintain. It's an incredible bargain.
You sound a lot like Nicole, trying to tell everyone why they should buy a Tesla.

I can see the poll now . . .
[left]
really clean, nice looking Tesla....
a very different Tesla but we'll sure as hell take it.
i'll be ordering one soon
BTW - I heard Ross Perot died. Did you know that? Someone should start a thread.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:38 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
You sound a lot like Nicole, trying to tell everyone why they should buy a Tesla.
Just test drive a Vette - you'll want to get one. Oh, and there are gas stations all over the place.

BTW - I heard Ross Perot died. Did you know that? Someone should start a thread.
Must be a conspiracy...
Old 07-10-2019, 01:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Now the C7; there's a lot on the road. What does this say? That's subject to interpretation.
i had the pleasure of having the base model for a week in Florida back in 2014. They're incredible. There's also a lot of 911's on the road. They're not that exclusive. They're great cars. i like 'em too. For the money they're incredibly fast, stylish, cool, and reliable. Please help me catch hell for liking both. i started the thread to talk about the new Vette. It's barely possible to be a "car guy" and hate the new Vette. But i'm sure a few folks will manage to do it anyway. That's why i left out the total horseshytte (it's crap) response from the poll. There's no way in hell this car's gonna be crap. It's going to have 458 performance not only at a fraction of the cost, but at a microscopic fraction of the maintenance. Can even Porsche match it? i'm sure you'll have no difficulty remembering the ims grenading cars, the pilot bearing failures on 928's, the 968 transmissions blowing up, and the 944 Turbo's going full turd after 30k miles. The Vette won't break from spirited driving, or require tuning every 3000 miles like comparable performing supercars. It might require some dry sump upgrade for track use. So do many other sports cars. For normal spirited and hard core road driving; i'd be surprised if it'll need any significant service--beyond fluids even after 40k miles. Probably won't require a tuneup until 80~120k. To say it is some kind of crap car, is as absurd as saying the Mueller Dossier is a valid legal complaint of Trump's election campaign colluding with Russia.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

I didn't see anyone saying it was crap or that they hated it. There are obvious concerns about quality. GM is notorious for putting cost cutting over quality. It remains to be seen how maintenance and service intervals play out. There is reasonable history to support your beliefs.

What I see is a flawed poll. The sarcastic comments are a clue.

Is it now time for you to take your ball and go home?
Old 07-10-2019, 02:14 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Now the C7; there's a lot on the road. What does this say? That's subject to interpretation.
There's a crap ton of Camry's and F150's on the road too, what's your point?

I grew up in the Vette world, I still have way more friends with bow ties in the garage than Porsche badges, I have almost as much experience wrenching on Vette's as Porsche's, so you don't have to convince me of anything. But your constant bellyaching as to what people should or shouldn't appreciate or be into is.....tiring.

I think the difference between you and me is I actually appreciate all of them, I don't just cherry pick the latest and greatest model. When the C4 came out it was revolutionary. Sure it's easy to look back 40 years later and call it crap. It still is the only car in history that was so fast and dominating in the showroom stock class they were given their own SCCA racing series.

I've been debating on picking up a C4 convertible for a while now. About same money (or less) than a Boxster and a hell of a lot of fun to drive. But you're not going to see me berate people on here as to why they should also get one.
The following users liked this post:
Baptizo (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by fosbibr
no, but I recently saw quite a few Vette drivers at a trackday. If the age of those drivers was representative of the average owner, the Corvette is doomed.
I call it the Harley-Davidson syndrome.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:58 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I've been debating on picking up a C4 convertible for a while now. About same money (or less) than a Boxster and a hell of a lot of fun to drive. But you're not going to see me berate people on here as to why they should also get one.
When you get ready to buy your C4, be sure and post a poll asking if we: like the C4, think it's different but will buy one, or will just buy one. I 'm sure I will find those poll results very helpful. TIA
Old 07-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Nah, there will always be young guys who want near-Corvette power but lower monthly payments or need to carry a small crotch-goblin in the back - - or mid-life crisis guys who couldn't convince the wife / afford the Camaro when younger
GM already announced it will be discontinued after 2023. But, Al Oppenheiser, the GM engineer who designed the last two generations, has moved over to the electric side of the house. The mid-2020's might see an all electric Camaro. Strange times.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:15 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hula
GM already announced it will be discontinued after 2023. But, Al Oppenheiser, the GM engineer who designed the last two generations, has moved over to the electric side of the house. The mid-2020's might see an all electric Camaro. Strange times.
Thanks, did not realize they made the decision. I know Ford was stopping everything but SUV/crossover and the Mustang. Heard GM was doing the same but their muscle cars would also be spared for now.

I can see an electric Camaro - I imagine AWD. Good launches from stoplights, and range is probably less of an issue for their target demo.

It would only be missing the vroom-vroom sounds

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?