Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't mind it.

Actually the C7 grew on me over its production time. And it's a pretty darn good car really.

And you can't touch the Corvettes all around ability anywhere for what a base C7 StingRay is selling for today. Base motor of 460 Hp and can easily cruise to Dallas in one sitting. Whats not to like? Yeah you say a 911 can beat it on track. I say maybe. Hell it wasn't long ago a couple of cowboys in a Camaro passed everybody on the track. Porsche guys had to go with this is a Porsche run group and lick heels apparently.

In the 1980s I looked at a Corvette and ended up with something else. I looked at a Corvette again and ended up with a 951. That is about my Corvette experience but I applaud Chevy and GM for hanging it out there and doing something other than bold new graphics and at least trying to make the car affordable to guys that are working guys and just regular car guys.

I can't say I want a new Corvette - but Id like to see and drive one BEFORE I would even think about putting 120 into a base Carrera T or something like that. I absolutely guarantee I would have a Corvette before a 4 cylinder Porsche sits in my garage again and I don't care if they are all of that and fly over water . And for equal money you want to know how a T would fare against a ZR1? No it wouldn't be even remotely close when the ZR1 goes by and blows the T off into the weeds somewhere. So choices are good and these easily are the best days of car choices ever.

Not too long ago at the dealer the dealer manager said we will cut you a deal on another new Cayman. I said hmm does it have a 4 cylinder? He said yes. I said you know the answer to that right? He nodded and said we hear it everyday.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasRider:
Santi (07-10-2019), Voith (07-12-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
All I need to know is, how does it perform and will it make it through a 2-day track weekend without parts falling off, having mechanical issues or it breaking down?
Hell yeah! What it does and what you can do with it without a 20 pound gold chain hanging from your neck. I am thinking track here. Not thinking about C&C competition. Seriously do not care about a lot of stuff, but if I do get one I will track it. With gold plated carbon fiber chains. (or Home Depot rattle can sprayed chains)
Just for ****z and giggles.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:52 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Jesus. 4 cylinders? You'll need to take a regular Cayman and have John and Wray at BGB swap in one of them 3.8/4.0 things on 'er.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:57 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

It wouldn't happen. Nada ^^^^

Last edited by TexasRider; 07-09-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:15 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

I can understand build quality and that you like what you like. Porsche guys and Vette guys aren't generally the same. However if you are somehow a Car Guy or a sports car enthusiast you have to recognize both have some strong points.

But the even better part against Corvettes that I had never heard in 20 years of racing was that somehow it wasn't right that they have more Hp and pass down the straight away. Ha that is both hilarious and ridiculous at every level except micro managed racing. I truly heard that for the first time on RL some time in my early days. Im sure coffee was spit all over me. I never knew any guys from mini racing and go carts to the top that didn't want more power and that had any problem blowing by you down a straight away if you didn't have it. Guys got hot with each other about a block or brake check in a corner - but I never heard "You bastridge you passed me down a straight " . . .

I guarantee Richard Petty or Mario or AJ or Dale Earnhardt or Senna or Schumaker or Hamilton . . or the kid down the block cares nothing about that. If he can pass you down the straight away then that's too bad for you and you are in the way as it is part of every race track there is.

Chevy is making an effort and I like that. Might be the end of the Camaro though.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasRider:
dougs968 (07-10-2019), Santi (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:16 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

You know what to do K. We done talked about it. The new GT4 is a na six and a 4.0 to boot. You know you want it. It will make you smile every time you come down from your office before heading in. Probably half the time won't even make into the house. Nope. Just a short run. Make you feel thirty something again. Order it now and get it just the way you want it. I'll even come down and help you write up the order.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:19 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Own Goal
You know what to do K. We done talked about it. The new GT4 is a na six and a 4.0 to boot. You know you want it. It will make you smile every time you come down from your office before heading in. Probably half the time won't even make into the house. Nope. Just a short run. Make you feel thirty something again. Order it now and get it just the way you want it. I'll even come down and help you write up the order.

You know . . yup you are right.

And you know Mrs TR new Cayenne is off the boat and up to the dealer this week.

My heart is right. I just have to get my wallet back right after all this. And me and you work on my garage addition.

You well remember us racing motorcycles. Who ever said you had more power and passed me down a straight but Im a better rider. Ha they'd say find you some power then and lets see it. The heads come off and the porting tools start working. When I came to the 500 Open Class I never had to say I don't have enough power! Just find you some big ballz today and hang it WFO !
The following users liked this post:
Own Goal (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:57 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

I stayed down in 125 and 250cc class. I had a 360 Montesa Capra bought of a buddy after he locked it up. Thank god it had a real long wheelbase. I get the better rider deal. Buddy's little brother could beat most on his dang little 100 Hodaka! Got sponsored and chased a national number. Raced against Kid and Poovey and did well. Then women. Done. I digress. New Corvette. Like to see it and take a look. I'll just stick with my 911 till can't get in and out. Kirk is younger. GT4 was designed for him.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Always seems kind of weak to complain about the Corvette's interior when it handily outperforms the 911 where it counts. I've actually never found the interior to be that bad, except that the leather wears worse in the Vette than the 911. Ever looked at the plasticky dash bits on a 996/997 compared to a C5/C6? Not that much different in quality.

Hell, the silk screening all wore off my radio buttons and Porsche's solution was a sheet of stickers that look like complete **** when applied.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:14 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Crisis
I'll reserve judgement until we get a good look at it when it's unveiled on the 18th
Agreed. Cant believe they have kept it as much under wrap as they have.

Originally Posted by Crisis
A combination of Ferrari performance and Camaro build quality pretty much sums up what a Corvette is, doesn't it?
But wait thats actually better than Ferrari performance and Ferrari build quality isnt it? Haha. Thats a joke Ferrari owners! Calm down already

Originally Posted by tooloud10
That's an especially useful poll.
Incredibly un not useful.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:38 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Might be the end of the Camaro though.
Nah, there will always be young guys who want near-Corvette power but lower monthly payments or need to carry a small crotch-goblin in the back - - or mid-life crisis guys who couldn't convince the wife / afford the Camaro when younger
Old 07-10-2019, 10:08 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Always seems kind of weak to complain about the Corvette's interior when it handily outperforms the 911 where it counts. I've actually never found the interior to be that bad, except that the leather wears worse in the Vette than the 911. Ever looked at the plasticky dash bits on a 996/997 compared to a C5/C6? Not that much different in quality.

Hell, the silk screening all wore off my radio buttons and Porsche's solution was a sheet of stickers that look like complete **** when applied.
I've never owned a vette so my opinion here isn't weighed much but I don't think the main complaint is actual quality and more so design and seamless integration with the body looks out of sync and cheap. Quality probably isn't much worse than a 911 but a 911 has a unique look to it that just fits. And then you have Aston Martin, british and other italian cars that even take it a step further in design. Even if the interior is mostly alcantara it still looks upscale.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Never owned or wanted a Corvette and I don't see that changing any time soon.
Might be a cool car though.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:24 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

The answer is; no. Have not seen it (other than spy photos).

Would probably like to test drive on the track. Doubt I'd want to own one.

I've driven C4s and C5s. Decent cars - but not something I'd own, unless just for track use. YMMV
Old 07-10-2019, 10:36 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I’d withhold judgement until I drive the car, in large part because it’s clearly been the subjectives as much as the objectives that have separated Porsche and Corvette over recent years. I expect the Vette to take acceleration, at the limit grip, lap time, etc. But based on previous experience I expect the Porsche to take many other categories.

Visibility- Porsche has done a good job of maintaining open sight-lines in a way recent US performance makes including the Corvette have not. Wide, close A pillars detract more from my personal driving experience than they can possibly adding via chassis stiffness. At the limit feel/ tactile feedback has been a big Porsche strength as well. Cooling capacity/ reserve (if tracked). The interior has been mentioned.

Don’t get me wrong, the Vette will have many trump cards as well- multi-link rear suspension, a better engine, etc, and I suspect Chevy can and will correct a number of past shortcomings. I just expect the pattern to repeat: magazines will gush, track records will fall and significant flaws will be glossed over. Meanwhile I’ll know if it’s a car me within 20 solid minutes behind the wheel- those subjectives don’t translate well to paper but make all the difference. Last time out enough of a difference that I still felt the Porsche was worth the premium...
+1
Corvettes have always been a tremendous bang/buck performance-wise and on paper, but a 20min drive was all it took for me to choose my first Porsche (new Boxster S) vs a new Corvette with almost 2x the HP in 2006, and the rest is history. It wasn't even close. In terms of driving feel bang/buck today, any 986, 996, 987, and 997 is far better than any Corvette out there for the same $ regardless of HP or "performance". Would love it if the C8 significantly improved this equation in Corvette's favor, but it would have to be achieved by much more than sheer (700) HP to get my attention.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?