Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 04:37 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 167 Posts

These idiotic remarks about Vette owners are just a sign of ignorance. Many of us who are active on multiple forums and clubs either own both or have owned both. I have tracked both and have hung with both groups at the track. By and large, they are all good people and can be generalized as just "car guys." For either brand there are owners, and there are enthusiasts. Most owners of any brand don't modify or track their cars.

Why anyone feels the need to belittle owners of non-Porsches is beyond me.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dr Chill:
Craigy (08-06-2019), Latitude34N (08-07-2019), markdk (08-07-2019), thebishman (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 04:41 PM
Canes78
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Better thin skin than a thick head.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

"Corvette folks aren't necessarily automotive enthusiasts. And even many of the ones that are, are more Corvette enthusiasts than general car guys. Also they're quite aged, many want their wife to be able to drive, etc. Some are women who just want a convertible. For many, a Corvette is their first (and only) sportscar purchase, an achievement earned shortly after getting that AARP card."

YUP! this thread continues to deliver! Not even worth further comment.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
I'll just leave this here......
Not much choice, it won't get far under its own power.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:53 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
I'm not sure you're the C8's biggest flag waver here.. How about you guys beat the living crap out of one another for that title.
That's about all that's left to do in this thread.

We've already beat the crap out of the subject of quality so again, I have to disagree categorically.

I was on track to get a C7 Grandsport w/A8 transmission but my research (on the Corvette forum) uncovered a giant stack of quality issues for the C7 in general,
plus a smaller stack of quality problems specific to the Grandsport.

In addition, it became painfully obvious to me that GM is likely the worst car company in the world and that owning a GM car under warranty would not be a good experience.
But I also knew the mid-engine C8 was on the horizon so was willing to hang back and see how that rolled out.
Then it was delay delay delay the C8 launch date which I took as a series of very bad signs, so decided to move on and look else where.

It was QUALITY that drove me away.

=> Note - that ended my use of the Corvette forum. I left and I haven't been back. I don't see any purpose in posting about a different car over there. hint hint.

Rambling on and on about the C8 here on the Porsche Forum isn't going to change my mind about my mid-engine Base Cayman w/PDK for a second. I'm in love with that car!
The tried and true DCT PDK makes the car bolt around like lightening. The quality built into the car is leagues above anything GM has ever made.
At some point, I will worm my way into a GT variety of the Cayman.

Ding ding +10

Hadn't heard that bit about the brakes and agree it should be less of an issue. Fingers crossed GM can't screw that one up too bad.

That DCT with AFM is a scary proposition. No other car manufacturer has ventured into those waters.. and likely for good reason.

You can do whatever you want - and think what ever you want - but it is utter nonsense to come up with GM is the worst car company and that kind of mess. They manufactured and sold something North of 8 Million units and have been as high as 10 million in a year. They know a thing or two to do that much work. Bet on it.

The C8 has been so called coming since the 1970s. So I guess thats a delay of sorts. Who cares if they moved the start back - a little like a 918, you are only getting yours when it's ready. I guess those are bad signs too huh.

Any time you see " Studies said this . ." or " I did my research on a forum . ." you know what it says - I have no real experience myself. I don't listen to that at a racetrack, the boardroom, or in any forum. Thats something like I did my research on a forum about lifting 500 lbs. Yeah ok now go to the gym and let's see how that goes vs the guys that are lifting 500 lbs.

Heck when I bought my 981S a guy sent me a list of stuff right here on RL about 3 pages long of things wrong with his and why Porsche was the worst car company yada yada. I already had many Porsche and car and motorcycle experiences . . so hand wringing ain't a thing for me.

I'm not here to change anybody's mind. The C8 is going to be a darn good car. That's as simple as it is.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (08-17-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:11 AM
Zcobra1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Hard to believe that only 20% of C7 buyers opted for a manual last year. OTOH I suppose that so many people live in the city, and just don't want to go through the hassle of shifting every few seconds.
First year C7 had almost 50% manuals....they slipped away fast. Just less and less ordering manuals.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:37 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Zupra vs. C8. 🤔

Old 08-07-2019, 02:02 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I had high hopes for the Supra too ^^^ . That didn't pan out well. Toyota had a really good car in house in the Lexus . . and instead elected this BMW made car. I guess it suits somebody and hard core Jap buyers. For all the supposed iconic Supra love of before, and me having some Z cars in there too, I thought Toyota kind of just mopped up what was left that the Z didnt already get. I read something from a link here that mostly stated that idea too that the Supra was always a follow on car to appeal to what was hot.

But I think it is easy to see that Corvette did a much superior job in its new C8 release.

Maybe it shows how it easy it is to go down the wrong path, or at least a less good path, with a new car too. I'm not thinking there will be lots of Supras on the road - making them "unique" by some terms and terminology.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:15 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I had high hopes for the Supra too ^^^ . That didn't pan out well. Toyota had a really good car in house in the Lexus . . and instead elected this BMW made car. I guess it suits somebody and hard core Jap buyers. For all the supposed iconic Supra love of before, and me having some Z cars in there too, I thought Toyota kind of just mopped up what was left that the Z didnt already get. I read something from a link here that mostly stated that idea too that the Supra was always a follow on car to appeal to what was hot.

But I think it is easy to see that Corvette did a much superior job in its new C8 release.

Maybe it shows how it easy it is to go down the wrong path, or at least a less good path, with a new car too. I'm not thinking there will be lots of Supras on the road - making them "unique" by some terms and terminology.
And with the mark up the Zupra is DOA in my humble opinion.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:37 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

It's kinda ugly, but the specs are nice.

If I was Porsche I'd be sheetin some bricks. Why get a 911 or cayman when the C8 mid engine corvette can be had for 60k (probably 75k is more realistic after options?

Very different directions from GM and German brands. Porsche is about simple design, smaller more efficient hybrid power train. Corvette is about pushrod NA V8. Both now have dual clutch transmissions, but we'll see how reliable the new corvette will be. The old slow slushbox and no PDK (and crappy manual) was the main reason I turned down getting a geandsport and got a 911 instead.

Anyone with half a brain is be smart should wait a few years for the quirks to be fixed. Buying a completely new GM platform, electrics, and powertrain is not a good idea. Reliability will be horrible initially.
CaymanCarver (08-10-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 02:44 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I was a bit baffled that they used the BMW motor for the Supra instead of taking the Lexus LC’s 5L V8 (and perhaps the hybrid V6). That would have made the car seem special, earned a cult following, and helped sell more Camrys and 86s. Take the LC platform down market or share the BMW platform, whatever makes more sense.

I’m curious to see what they do regarding the rumored smaller displacement boosted motors for the higher trim (Z06/ZR1) C8s.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:17 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I'll take an automatic 5 series or E class luxo-barge for traffic and highways, thx.
Agree. That goes for the ungainly rear of the C8 as well, as I'd prefer a sexier, tapered rump rather than "2 golf bags."

Originally Posted by Caustic
I love the new Corvette. I was looking at an R8 V10, but the C8 has all the things I've been looking for in my next car that I'm going to wait a year to see what shakes out before committing to a purchase. I have very few concerns about the design except this:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/23/...stable-brakes/

The C8 is moving to a brake by wire system that I thought only the NSX uses (besides hybrids in general). I'm not confident in what that the pedal feel will be like, and I'm not confident in what Chevy will program it to be like. If there is one thing I don't want, its a brake pedal that feels dead to me. I know this is the future, but it is one more thing that I feel takes away from the man-machine connection. I have my doubts, but this stuff has to start somewhere.
Brake by wire is likely a huge mistake, especially for a sports car. Automakers have barely gotten steer by wire figured out yet. I had brake by wire in my W211 E Class and not only did it have horrible feel, but it's a massive safety hazard as the last thing you want malfunctioning are your brakes. M-B eventually went right back to an analogue brake for the facelift and beyond.

Originally Posted by Craigy
Dang what an impressive megamash thread. Surely someone on here has an NPI number and can get KA some xans by now.

Looking forward to my C8. I am #1 at my dealer.
Be sure to invest in some strut tower braces under the car. Might help tie that 15K rigidity up a bit.

Originally Posted by STG
That 911 was clearly going several times faster than the Vette, to look like that Vette which especially back then, had (has?) the rigidity of a tin can.

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by ZDan
2019 - 1964 = 55
2019 - 1953 = 66

It is not always appropriate to round to a more desirable figure. If your car does 115mph in the 1/4, you can't say "she'll do 120mph in the 1/4". If you have been in business for 55 (or 56) years, you can't say you've been in business for 60 years, because you haven't!

If you are giving a 2-digit number of years, why would you round to 10 year increments? 5,995 might quite reasonably be rounded to ~6,000 (depending on context!) but "rounding" 55 (or 56) years to 60? It just isn't done. It's just as easy to type 55 (or 56) anyway, or you could say "more than 50 years" or "going on 60 years", and then you don't have to be WRONG.

*Anyway*, your whole point is negated because Corvettes have "had people talking" for a longer time than 911s have...
Except you were wrong, and the 911 has been around for 56 years. And 56 rounds into 60. Sorry if the fundamentals of rounding don't align with your own narrative.

And my point in fact is not negated. 911's took the sports car crown from Vettes long ago, despite being around for less time. I don't know of one automaker who's "chased the Vette" in terms of how they design and position their sports cars. Every single one of them, however does the 911.

Originally Posted by 993NYS
Porsche elitism dripping! You gotta love it ! Time to wake up....

Take a look at some photos from Porsche Club meetings, tell me what the ages look like like to you

Take a look at the amount of miles Corvettes are logging in at tracks around the country including Porsche Club guys using Corvette because it's such a great track car

Take a look at the survey here of how many guys are buying a C8.

Sorry, C7 and C8 charging the game
Let's see if the C8 will be outselling a 379 HP base 911 that costs 50% more once they've both been out for a few years.

(as a Porsche enthusiast, I hope it does. Nothing less alluring than seeing an inherently unique looking sports car everywhere).

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Zupra vs. C8. ��
Man, that BMW Supra is a fail. If I wanted a BMW, I'd get an M2/M3/M4. If I want a SUPRA, I want something built and designed by Toyota from the ground up. Just like I wouldn't want a Macan with a VW 4 pot (that ain't a Porsche "soul"), I wouldn't want a Supra not only built by BMW, but based on a mass production BMW.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:30 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

And now a word from our sponsor....

Old 08-07-2019, 10:54 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I learned something from watching the video: the ZR1 has 750 HP, (it actually has 755 HP but close enough), and that the C8 has better performance. I wonder how that conclusion was reached, since no one outside GM has tested the car and the only data they released was that a C8 has run a sub 3 sec 0-60, which hasn't yet been verified by anyone outside GM. For the ZR1 several reviewers have run a 2.9, 0-60, and I've come across one that claimed a a 2.85 0-60 and 6 sec 0-100. I also learned that "because they moved the engine from the front to the back, the new one has only 500 HP now." Hell, if moving the engine from the front to the back caused it to lose 250 HP, I'd say move the dam thing back to the front again. Anyway the girl in the video is cute and not pretentious, but the guy should do a little more reading before he speaks out.
Bottom line not a bad fluff piece, and until the C8 goes into production that's all we are going to get.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:00 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Zupra vs. C8. 🤔

The Supra looks like it's less than 3/4 the C8 size. And I like its smooth curves better vs the C8's sharp edges overload.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?